www.storymania.com
Storymania Logo

 

 

Essays - Reviews




Short Stories - Reviews
Poetry - Reviews
Novels - Reviews
Plays - Reviews
Screenplays - Reviews
Songs - Reviews
Non-Fiction - Reviews
Essays Reviews
Foreign - Reviews
Reference - Reviews
Children - Reviews
Genres - Reviews

The Hopeless Cynic: All That Glitters... by Robert G Hagans (13)
"It is very immature to write an essay bashing your ex just because you are bitter that she dumped you. You really need to grow up. You are not God's gift to anyone. You are just a dumb high schooler." -- kate.
" I agree with your idea about the "Happily Ever After Syndrome", but it isn't all bad. Once you get past it, you can see the world far more clearly. Also, being a cynic can be a two-edged sword; it can blur your thinking every bit as much as any of the sentimental crap you speak against." -- Caleb.
"rob rob rob whats with the downer of the story here the reason people buy in to the syndrome is the same reason for anything else they believe...b/c they want to believe i mean if you dont have that perfection to try to ascend to whats the purpose of living...just my opinion" -- Stills, towson, md, usa.
"I agree with you in many ways. But hey if you don't have love and have someone to love you then what's left in the world for you? I've had rough experiences of my own but love can be a wonderful thing if you let it take hold of you in the right way!" -- Kris.
"All that girls want to do is abuse guys. Every girl I've gone out with talks about how their exs treated them bad then I treat them great and they never want to go back out, why? They are all shallow and they deny it at least a guy has the guts to say he is a jerk when he is one. " -- Trent.
"Who cares? It's just a mad guy showing his anger & who makes sense when they're angry?" -- Harry.
"Well, anger in a relationship finally sees some sort of exhaust. Even though I was the one telling you that it would be a bit on the dangerous side, I actually had hope this time around. Ah well..hopeless romantic, I guess. Anyway, I must concur with Kate here, in saying that it is a bit on the immature side to describe an ex that way, if that was your intention. There would have been better ways to deal with it. " -- Janni.
"It's in poor taste to do this but I can and who cares? I am not angry at Kate or women in general in that matter.This article is merely my thoughts on my own hang ups about relationships due to my extensive background with movies, television, and pop culture in general. The "Happily Ever After" syndrome is my curse,but may also prove to one day be my salvation. And maybe Stilling and Kris are right...it's something to aspire to...or what elese have you got. I'm not angry, or dissapointed, or anything else you can think of that runs on that train of thought. I'm reflecting, which relates my ex gf in memory only, but this article is not about her. aspire to " -- Rob Hagans.
"Okay Rob, I actually read the essay. You have a lot of anger inside you that you need to deal with, seriously. You can give up if you want, but don't tell all of us dreamers out there how we should feel. Of course life is not going to be like movies; they are an escape from real life. I know that I will find that certain person that I'm supposed to be with. Just because we didn't work out is no reason to curse humanity." -- Kate.
"If your happy-ever-after romance doesn't last, it may be 50% her fault, but it's also 50% yours. The crux of the biscuit is that the fantasy promised us by society doesn't exist, real relationships are messy and take lots of hard work. They are, however, the most rewarding reason for living. They can only be achieved by sticking around, NOT running. When you ran, you created a pattern for yourself of never being satisfied. In reality, you will only find real, enduring love by staying around long enough to realize all relationships have cyclical ups and downs, but each time you hang in there through the bad, the good times become more frequent, and the love deepens. I have hope! You're young enough to find real love, not puppylust Romeo-and-Juliet pie-in-the-sky dreams. And when you do, don't ruin it by running away at the first test. It is the sticking through bad times that glues it all together. Good luck. " -- Clyde.
"Dude, Rob, you know my situation with that girl that you know as the Devil. Hell, you have never known me with out her, and you know how bad it's gotten, remember when I showed up at the cast party carying my fucking hub cap because I drove of the road at like 115 mph or so because I so fucking pissed, yeah. I understand entirely of what your saying, and hell yeah do I agree with it. I have been a patient of that support group many a time, this is for everyone who has not: The only support you get is a good old beat down for being a fool. Yes Rob has chased me from the Auditorium to the Science wing at THS, but I'm faster. The support group is an excuse to beat the shit out of people. If you need support go crash your car, you'll feel alot better, despite the whole money issue, damn capitolism. Well a word from the wise, if you get sucked in, ummm, well, enjoy a couple years of absolute hell." -- Curran (Yes, the Belgian), Towson.
"sign me in to the support group. we�ll chase the dealers, decreat the DRY LAW prohibing the traffic of the rose- colured drug and masturbate on porn to release our hard- ons. we�ll become travellers, find an isle to colonize- Love- myth- free- and write haiku poetry, then we�ll go to the desert, start a religion called LOVE ON POST- INDUSTRIAL TIMES, THE REALITY FOR THE NON- BELIEVERS and write our bible with parts of movies, Hemingway and Nietzche books. so what do you think" -- Jorge Freire.
"I wish there really was something to bring people out of this. I am constantly falling prey to one fantasy or another, and if I could be cynical all the time, I'd be better off. " -- Pearl.


Gay Agony In India by Amit Gupta (5)
"it is the encouraging works of the author and other people he mentiones that the gay community is getting some kind of visibility and acceptance, though we have a long way to go. " -- wicks, mumbai, ms, india.
"Thanks for writing article no gays. Your article is nice and I love to read it. Kunal, Delhi.India" -- kunal.
"As a gay guy here in NYC, USA, I feel your pain and hope that things improve there in India for you. Although things for gays here are a lot better than that of India, there is always room for improvement." -- Jeffrey.
"Great article! You really opened up my mind to the other suffering peoples in the world. I thought we had it bad here. I am very outraged period by human beings attitude towards gays. Tolerance isn't acceptance." -- Danny.
"man, this aint no essay, its a piece of shit writing. we are not here to read news, but original thoughts. in addition, homosexuality is a peversion period. no other high level animal species practices it. we live twisted lives in an unnatural world and that is creating gays, among other deviant groups." -- sunny, DC, DC, USA.


A New Perspective by Richard Koss (2)
"Burning the U.S. Flag, I suppose that over time this has come to be a sort of euphemism for America Bashing, so that's the way I'm going to comment. Firstly (don't worry, there aren't too many points) September 11th was an absolute atrocity...full stop. Everyone is with america on that. Now, on to my other bit. America bashing. Despite their rhetoric the united States has been one of the most consistantly intolerant and racist nations. Not so much internally as externally. Now, I'm an irishman writing from England (the nation who invented the concentration camp in the Boer War), but let's face it, all talk of another nation's "barbarism" can be ended in two words...you know them Hiroshima and Nagasaki. " -- Mark, London.
"Mark, I'm not surprised at your perception of Americans in general. I won't say you're entirely wrong. Americans understand that some of the easiest ways to get people to hate you is to give them money and other foreign aid without expecting them to pay you back while you help them fight their battles with your countrymen on their soil, and then finally allowing just about anyone to come into your country if they're unhappy with their own. As the saying goes,"Only in America."" -- Richard.


The Spiritual Way by Panangipalli S Murthy (2)
" It's was great reading the essay ... U doin a good Job ." -- Panangipalli Raja Sagar, Hyderabad, AP, India.
"NEED ESSAY ON EMOTIONS" -- PEGGY HILL.


Can't You See? A Collection Of Essays by Vineetha Menon (3)
"lovely.." -- Ramkumar Menon, Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
"very touching...inspirational! " -- Mulan, Dubai, U.A.E..
"great idea. nicely written. but should write a lot to make the ideas clearer and convincing enough. keep writing." -- vineeth, delhi.


People Don't Take Time To Climb Trees Anymore by Christina Tolentino (3)
"simply beautifull" -- iseldar kay.
"Just wanted you to know that I loved this little piece when I came across it! It made me feel good and made me smile! Thanks for posting it!!! " -- Robert "Monte" Montesino, Florida, USA.
"I think you should start a tree climbing club for us adults." -- Jeanette .


From The Author by Scott W. Hazzard (2)
"You're just a little whimpy, wussy man. Shut up!" -- Scott Hazzard.
"Ehmm..m. Sehr gut Seite! Ich sage innig..!:) bmw" -- BMW, ..., ..., ....


Timothy McVeigh: A Legacy by Shelley J Alongi (6)
"Certainly it is a portrail of sadness and self indignation. It depicts this country as fair and just at all times. Is it really? God help us all." -- Ray Fonseca, Roselle, NJ, USA.
"I'm sorry, but calling McVeigh's execution God's good work takes everything Jesus told us and trashes it. McVeigh did something horrible, and he will face God. We, who kill in punishment, will also have to face God for breaking his commandment of love. " -- Clyde.
"He got what he deserved. Religion has nothig to do with it. There is a reason why religion isn't factored into how we punish our criminals." -- J.
"what is written is written-what is done is done- views are views-this is the day of freedom of speech and so be it'' this is only one well written document and i wholeheartedly agree------'ask and ye shall receive''remember who died for us-Jesus and the wars-'God bless all---Tj" -- tj, wahnapitae, ont, canada.
"ok " -- lulu.
"God is the one who commands us to show the value of human life by judiciously taking the life of murderers. Jesus understands that this is not the breaking of the commandment, but the keeping of it, because IS God the Son. Our laws and system of government are indeed based on God's word and His laws." -- jolee, Costa Mesa, USA, California.


The Hopless Cynic: Masochistic Summer by Robert G Hagans (11)
"Well, you know I'll always support whatever crazy thing you decide to write. But I got a little defensive when it seemed you were beating up the guy and girl being friends thing. Since we finally established that's what we are or I have anyways. But hey it's just Rob and how he is. Gotta love him! One of the many female friends." -- Kris.
"Rob! I still totally hate women--oh shit, I am one, aren't I? Well, I hate me at times, too! <=o) As half of the Happy Couple, though, I believe that if it's meant to be, it is meant to be. The lack of time before the inevitable doom, college, should not be a barrier to love. I must agree that women do see college as a buffet, however. My roommates, for example, are already psyched that our floor is coed... As part of the horrible sex, I must admit that you read us well--this time, anyway! To all the unfortunate men who put up with women-- Watch out for the head games, the teasing...listen to the Robster!" -- Angie, Westminster, Maryland, US.
"rob another good view on relationships and growing up but the latter is something i never intend to do " -- Stills, towson, md, usa.
"good peice of writing. I believe that your overall statement is true to a point. but not all girls are like that first off all we know quite a few of them ourselves. Most importantly is that most of those situations you either made them worse, got yourself into them or just plain took it the wrong way. And for all you guys out their who are worried about head games just ignore them and rely on your gut instinct not your lower region instinct like the robster here" -- Ryan (Robs best friend, towson, md.
"AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH, follow every word of the given advice, don't get stuck in one of those God Damn platonic relation ships like me. I have liked this girl since I met her, in that time we have become like best friends yet at the same time had I never met her I would be a happier man. Don't get sucked in like me, because once you get sucked in you can never get out without a shitload of mental anguish. Without her I go bloody nuts, and being with her is just as bad." -- Curran Hughes (Belgian Guy), Towson, MD, USA.
"Well, that certainly was interesting. Further failure and rescue literature for the masses. Well written, too. The message, while being a little bit on the odd and, well, to say it honestly, pathetic, side, will certainly be appreciated by the audience, as will the abundance of witty references. In any case, I wish you the best of luck with whatever exploits lie in front of you, while I will gladly go and join the "male buffet" in order to "waste" more money so that one day I can actually make a difference, and not just dream of it. How is the moviemaking coming along. 'Til next time." -- Jan.
"MY ARMS FEEL LIKE RUBBER SUNSHINE" -- the druggie, towson, md, usa.
"MINE TOO MAN!!!!" -- THE OTHER DRUGGIE, towson, md, usa.
"Kid, I know you think all chicks are evil..but let's face it. You love me and you know it ;) Seriously though, you can't discount EVERY summer romance..because some do have happy endings (think R&J here!). And college is not a total waste of money either...I resent that since I'm bustin my pregnant ass trying to get through school ;) Your problem is, you meet all the wrong types of chicks. Once you get to college and are amongst the "buffet" as you call it, you might get surprised and find someone who'll treat you like I treat Jeffy ;) (I don't really think its possible that there could be anyone else *quite* like me in the world..but you can look). I still love ya...even though you are way too cynical for your age! " -- Rob's Sex Goddess , Michigan, USA.
"Rob, you're very correct. As usual. See, all you readers out there need to understand something...Rob is a big black man (just like me). We big black men are supposed to -always- be getting women, yet as you've read, that's not always the case. Therefore, women suck no matter what. Huzzah!" -- Uncle Yoda.
"Bro, you are awesome. I am missing my cynical carbon copy (sans that whole black thing you've been sporting) and you need to haul that jaded ass of yours out here to SF--my school has a killer film dept--and we'll sit around and complain in late-night diners like old times. I understand your personal justification for being so cynical but I have faith that you will someday find a chick who A) Actually deserves to be your girl (this will be a difficult one) and B) Can tolerate you, (Damn near impossible). Closing words...send me the shades right now!" -- Kriistal/Barbara (Rob's sis), San Francisco, CA.


Perfection And Vanity by The Amateur Philosopher (1)
"This is an amazing piece of writing. You present these all-too-relevant comments in a delightfully ironic yet ultimately deadly serious tone which reminds me of a lot of Raymond Chandler's later works. Your vision of society is highly perceptive and laudible and you have a clear flair for writing. Keep them coming!" -- S J Fletcher, Australia.


The Monte Carlo Iridium Credit Card. by Peter Perkins (2)
"okay, that's good; a little sarcasm hits the nail right on the head." -- Shelley, Fullerton, California, USA.
"Ehmm..m. Sehr gut Seite! Ich sage innig..!:) bmw" -- BMW, ..., ..., ....


The Hopless Cynic: The High School Experience by Robert G Hagans (3)
"To miss Van Cleaf: EC ALLEN's suggestion to me when I started In the Light of A Shadow, if you go back and read the review posted was to work on my dialog. At the time, I really didn't find anything wrong with it so it kinda pissed me off, but looking back, it was kinda stale. I hope I have since improved and personally look forward to your review, Miss Van Cleaf (sorry if I spell it wrong), when I post my new story in about a week. That's why I dedicated my "HOPELESS CYNIC" essays to him. I had no idea he'd left the site, but I was hoping he'd read it and see that I'd improved as a writer; the man was quite a writer himself, and I repected him. I shall dedicate the next story to him as well, since his prodding was the reason I decided to blend action with comedy, so I could work with my dialog. Sorry if I uspet you, I meant no ill will toward you or EC. And if you could, see if you can get him to read my latest when it comes out, as I will respect his opinion. My next addition to this site will take me back to my action roots, but it's also a comedy. See ya soon... " -- Rob.
"rob, yet again i feel the need to praise your writing...have fun on sr wk and i hope that when i graduate ill have as much to look back on as u have" -- Stills, towson, md, usa.
"Apology accepted Rob, but I feel the need to point out that I've been here since January and I vividly remember the Tyrant/Bennett vs. EC Allen War, which spilled into your review column. I read it then, and I just finished reading it once again. Never does EC (who by the way now calls himself AD Kelly)say anything about your dialogue being bad, in fact he praises your work before being dragged into a flame war within your column. The person who said your dialogue, was quote unquote "corny" was a mystery person named Kat. EC/AD had a few pennames that he displayed as characters here for everybody's enjoyment such as The Grammar Nazi, No Name Rogers and the Advisor (as far as I know he was the only one who ever took up the position of resident advisor here), but one of his pennames wasn't Kat. I've contacted AD, and he said he didn't think he was all that far advanced of you to help you any, and I don't know whether he might try to contact you or not, but I do know he's always tried to help those who come to him. I know that because when I first came to Storymania he thoroughly helped me out with a story which I was working upon. Together we built an alliance with some of the other talent which used to frequent this board such as Tyna Aberdeen, and under AD Kelly's direction began work on a unique though unfortunately forgettable story called The Fate Winds, which some bastard took off the site before it was even a quarter completed, most likely it was either Tyrant, or some one who just didn't understand what we were trying to accomplish, because AD's idea was ahead of its time. If you never saw it, it was basically a sword and sorcery story of mine, which was told both inside and outside the story, literally making me a character within my own story. Once the story crashed our alliance set off in several different directions. Only I stayed to glean some know-how from fantasy writers better than I, and by the way boy, I meant what I said before about the only way to find true love is to go out and seek it, I'd give you a chance myself if I wasn't already taken and 2,300 miles away from Maryland, which is where I think you are. Oh well signing off." -- Lea Van Cleef.


Please Forgive Me by Susan T Fisher (2)
"This is the cry of everyone, we sometimes don't mean to hurt each other, it all depends on the moods we're in and what kinds of days we're having; we all want acceptance, and some of us don't give it. I should always remember that." -- Shelley, Fullerton, California, USA.
"i think everyone feels the same way. simple but well put." -- sunny, DC, USA.


Our Customer Charter by Peter Perkins (1)
"Oh I love it! I like someone who can be humorous!" -- Shelley J. Alongi, Fullerton, California, USA.


House Trailer by John C Rivers (1)
"I'm very happy that you have a place that you can call home.When you think about it there are many people who don't even have that luxury.I am one of the fortunate ones to have a home but I sometimes find the stress of paying the mortgage every month overwhelming.It sounds to me like you aren't dealing with that stress so more power to ya.By the way, you never mentioned if you had cable because if you do then it sounds like your mobile home is a little piece of heaven right here on earth.Best of luck to you." -- David Daniels.


Baan Kwaan Prison by John C Rivers (4)
"Interesting piece John, I am curious to know how and why you picked Lenny for your visit, was it just a random arbitrary choice or did you actually know him or of him? Though informative on the conditions of the penal system in Thailand, it raises more question for your readers than it anwsers. Do you make a habit of visiting a country and examing first hand thier correctional systems by interviewing inmates you don't know? Nice journalistic style, but in my humble opionion, you could omit the Sincerly John at the end of your story. " -- Robert Montesino, Florida, USA.
"John, Go to Submit your Work, when you get to that page you will see Storymania Editor, you then will have to request a password from Storymania, which they will Email you. Then you can punch in Authors name and with the password you can bring up the piece you posted and edit it, including changing Title, Authors description and/or make changes to the work you posted. I hope this helps, I also was confused about this when I first tried posting, then changing things, so believe you are not alone in learning how to get around this site! I have worked in the Criminal Justice System for the past 16 years and I found your work interesting in that I have seen the inside of many prisons and jails over the years. I simply was curious about your motivation for writing the story and was intriqued by the descriptive narrative of a foreign prison. How a country treats and houses it's prisoners speaks volumes about the charactor of its people. Keep up the good work John! Give us some more insights as you get them in your travels. Thanks again for posting this piece." -- Monte, USA.
"Interesting the way Thai prison system carries out the death penalty; I write DR inmates in USA and other inmates, too, so always interested in someone's view of ps in ours or other countries. " -- Shelley, Fullerton, California, USA.
"As a retired NYC Correction Officer it was interesting to hear about a foreign prison.I worked for many years in probably the most famous (or should I say infamous)jail of all which was Rikers Island.Prisoners on Rikers Island should realize that there are worse places like the prison in your essay but all in all working in jail has made me appreciate something that most people take for granted-FREEDOM! Nice piece John,hope to read more." -- David Daniels.


There Is Hope: The Hopeless Cynic by Robert G Hagans (10)
"It is obvious to me Rob that your essay is not meant for us, but rather yourself, but it as well as its counterpart does achieve what it set out to achieve. Unfortunately it is a cry in the dark, a candle in the storm. To broadcast your hopes and dispairs here doesn't do much to help. The guy you've been dedicating these essays to EC Allen was guilting of that, though he was a bit proactive in chasing down the female gender writers here. Perhaps that is why you keep dedicating to him, I mean he's never going to read it, you do realize that he left back in March after the contest he ran to try to stimulate reader reviews just like Monte and Olef and some of the others wanted. Anyways, perhaps it's your approach, I know that some guys, perfectly great looking guys, have come up to me and said: "Oh please date me Lea, no other girl wants me, I'm so ugly, stupid, and a complete jerk-off". This does not make me want them. I'm not saying you do this, hell I don't know what you do, because I do not know you. If it is just a matter of being isolated, than my friend, if you truly want it, you will have to go out of your way to unisolate yourself, whether it be by computer matching through Match.com, or something similar to that, or on one of those singles exclusive vacations. There are ways to meet single women, perhaps even the one your looking for, but you may not find it, if say you're stuck on remaining in Backwoods, WV for the rest of your life, and not setting one foot outside of it for any God given reason." -- Lea Van Cleef.
"Rob, I don't know what you are trying to do. This is a site for showcasing writing, not a dating service." -- Kate (the ex) :).
"to The Rob's ex its interesting that you think everything is about you b/c i know for a fact neither of the hopeless cynic essays are as ive spoken with his bootyness about them...rob nice follow up and this sounds more like the big man we here in towson know and love...see ya soon STOP BY TO SEE ME B4 YOU LEAVE FOR SENIOR WEEK DOOD WE NEED TO CHILL!!! lol talk to ya later" -- Stills, towson, md, usa.
" Alright...this is an improvement I must say, and even though I am supposed to be the evil critical character here, and, as Kate puts it, immature, considering I am barely 19, which seems to be too young for love, at least in the eyes of some mortal creatures, I just wanted to say that this pieace sound a lot more grown-up than the last one, even though it does have that "pity me" feel to it, in certain phrases. I would furthermore advise both of you, Kate and Rob, to speak to one another about this and find some sort of direct link to one another in order to allow the anger and dislike to come out and end. And no, I am not promising that it will help either of you, but it is the way Amanda, the lady I am IN LOVE with, and I handle our little differences, and it usually comes out just fine. Now, both of you, be mature and meet, or talk on the phone, or on the 'net. This State of war is getting to be a bit on the annoying side, and I feel that at least one of you should have the guts to come up with a solution for this, well..at least one that does not include tearing each other to shreds verbally or physically. " -- Jan, Towson, MD.
"Robert, this is Sgt. Andrew Baker of the Howard County Police Department. I received a fax of the essay you posted threatening your ex girlfriend and her family. I would like to inform you that this sort of behavior is intolerable as well as illegal. I will be monitoring this website, and if anything of the sort appears again, you will hear from me. Remember, you are 18 and will be prosecuted as an adult." -- Andrew Baker.
"Well Rob your at it once again. The most romantic and sweetest guy I've ever met. You can be a downer sometimes. Espcecially when it comes to love, but I know from experience that you know how to love and you can forgive someone not once but twice and fall in love with that person all over again. Dont' be a down you'll find that specail love and you never know she might be right there always waiting for you when you feel the time is right. Another one of Rob's great exes. But this one is not insane." -- Kris.
"Kris, I don't see how you can categorize someone you don't even know as insane. Also, if Rob is so wonderful, why aren't you still with him? My guess is you don't really exsist and Rob is writing this review himself." -- Shauna.
"If that was really Kris, then you must be insane. Rob doesn't have any other exes, "great' or otherwise. " -- Sarah.
"My name is Kristin and I do exist very much so. I dated Rob and we had a great relationship and the reason we're not together still is my fault not his. " -- Kristin.
"Beautifully put, bro...you almost make me feel romantic by osmosis, almost. I suppose digression does have its little perks. Unfortunately, subsequent to your inspiration for this piece, you seem to have unleashed an endless stream of melodrama. " -- Kriistal, Phoenix, Arizona.


The Hopeless Romantic: The Ideal Life by Charles Cotterman (15)
"Are you guys ever gonna quit writing this crap? Nobody cares if you can't get dates." -- Kate.
"Oh my God! You are a senior at Westminster! That explains everything." -- Kate.
"18 year olds know nothing about love; they are not mature enough" -- -.
"I ask all those reviewing to please pay no attention to any personal comments made upon my essays, or for that matter, Rob Hagans'. Mine are simply a statement on how I live. If you would actually read into these articles, Kate, or for that matter, *read* them, I'm sure you would see that the reason I'm writing this is not because I can't get dates, it's because I've found a new way to live. I hardly find your assessment of me fair, seeing as you don't know me, and have never met me. I'm in no way trying to get a date by posting these--my email is not shown and I simply wish to see that other people think the way that I do. You are obviously not one of these people. "don't tell all of us dreamers out there how we should feel", Kate, as you said to Rob in one of your more personal reviews. If you don't like my writings for a personal reason, then leave me alone. I want to know what people think that don't know me, and probably never will, and have no connection to me, six degrees or otherwise. That said, I understand posting a review to my own work is in bad taste--but I felt the need to post a response to such a personal slight upon me. I invite everyone who has a comment on the essay itself--mechanically, or if the words it contain touch you personally--to let me know via this review board." -- Charles.
"both of your essays are very well written and i agree on many of your points thanks for writing on the flip side" -- Stills, towson, md, usa.
"To whatshisname who left himself anonymous (I wonder why):"Hey! I had four boyfriends and have lived with my current boyfriend for the past two years. And yes, I am very much in love with him, thank you very much. So don't you DARE generalise 18 yo's like that EVER AGAIN, that's just prejudice." By the way, Charles, I read your essay and thought your philosophy was realistically optimistic. That's what I call dreaming within your own boundaries. It's a good way of looking at life and I honestly cannot see why why Kate or whatshisname were so mean about it." -- Harriet, UK.
"It's good to see a young man realize that love is a precious thing. And to Rob's insane ex age doesn't matter to the heart. If you love someone you can be 17 or 18 or you can 30 it doens't matter. And what makes you think that you know anything about love either. And I really liked you essay it is well written and the truth in my eyes. Rob's not so insane ex." -- Kris.
"Oh look, another biased review from Kris, which is interesting considering Rob never had a girlfriend before he dated Kate. You are insane as well as delusional." -- Shauna.
"I am friends with Kris and not only has she never dated Rob, but she would also never be that judgemental. Shame on you, Robert." -- Sarah.
"Well...I can only say that this is highly amusing to me..and considering I do not know of this Kris person, I must just say that it's a wonderful attempt at improving existing reviews. Keep on bashing one another please, it is inspirational. One should write a story about that one..." -- The German.
"Kristin once again. I'm really glad all these people say they know when they've never met me. And I was Rob's girlfriend over a year ago BEFORE Kate." -- Kris.
"I was experiencing emotional and mental weariness when i came across your piece. I can't exactly explain how it affected me but i felt the kind of rest that i needed at the moment. Your optimistic views encouraged me beyond explanation and somehow i felt like part of me was awakened once again. I usually spend time composing poems or short essays when i feel the urge to release what i feel inside, but time and situations hindered me from continuing. Anyway... i just want to thank you Charles for this wonderful piece. Certainly some people *can't* understand you but there are other idealists out there... and such essays are delicious food to us. Keep up the great work!" -- Raquel, Baguio, Philippines.
"Ah, Kate? Does anybody in your life at the present time beat you? Because if they don't, they really need to start. I've known Charlie for a good many years, and he is without a doubt, the finest man I've had the honour of knowing. I also knew a Nazi bitch named Kriistal. Kriistal used to torture small animals for fun, and drink Yak's blood while Satan-worshipping. The two of you should get to-gether for whatever demonic rituals you practice to make up for being a sub-standard girlfriend, a point quite eloquently demonstrated by your ex. " -- Brentyn .
"By the way, Kate, have a great day! :)" -- Brentyn .
"Read these pieces by Hadans and Cotterman. I'd classify them as self-indulgent drivel, at best. It's no longer amusing to see how you spoiled, immature, little creeps have tried to turn this venue into a chat room for post-adolescent morons. You girls have absolutely no concept of morality or self-respect and think because you have a pair of tits and that smelly pink thing between your legs, you are irresistable to anyone able to produce an erect penis. The boys (I can't call them men) can't seem to make up their mind whether they'd prefer to eat pussy or suck dick and to some, it probably doesn't make any difference. I, me, us, we, that's what the worthless lot of you is all about. I won't even say may God help you because even He must have lost interest in saving your souls by now. Despite having said all this, I'm going to close with a kind thought for all of you. Why don't you try to talk your parents into getting married for Christmas, (assuming you know who they are)? " -- THE OLD MAN WHO HATES KIDS.


The Hopeless Romantic: Proud To Be Foolish by Charles Cotterman (17)
"Wow, thank you for writing this. People keep telling me that I should write a response to my ex, but I don't feel it's worth it. Besides, you said it better than I could have. I have always believed that you should love with your heart and not with your head, so to speak. Thank you for giving me hope that there are others out there who still share my ideals." -- Kate, Salisbury, MD.
"It's a great pleasure to know that there are still other gentlemen out there and that I'm not alone. I think you and I could be twins, brother. I'll be sure to read more of your stuff as soon as you share it on here with the rest of the world. " -- Bruce, San Luis Obispo, CA, U.S.A..
"Charlie, Charlie, Charlie. You are a good friend, with a valid point. Your article has touched the heart of the Robster. And you I have had conversations on this recently, and agree and dissagre on many things. Still I value your opinion as my friend, and as a fellow who shares my "Happily Ever After" syndrome. Great article. I may now have to post a follow up. Or we could do one together. Thanks for the different spin. " -- Robert, Westminster, md, usa.
"I don't know what you've been saying to Rob, but his new article makes him sound, to quote the film 10 Things I Hate About You, like "some heinous breed of loser" which is making me look pretty bad for actually dating him. At least now I see his true colors. I don't know why he likes to brag so much that you are his friend. Maybe because he doesn't have many." -- Kate.
"No bashing Rob. He's a good friend of mine, and I'm proud to call him that. The differing feels of these articles are in no way an indication that Rob and I are incredibly different people, only that we have differing opinions on something we are both (Fortunately? Unfortunately? I'd like to think it's the former) afflicted with. And if that was a slight toward me, alas, you hardly know me. But I don't think that it was, only that it can be construed as such. And now, on to write a new article. Look for it soon..." -- Charles.
"I think you and Rob should go out. I already suggested this idea to him." -- Kate.
"By the way, I have no desire to get to know you because you are obviously turning Rob into a psychopath." -- Kate.
"Again I say, why do you feel the need to personally attack me? I've done nothing to you. And for your information, Rob and I have gotten into near fist fights over our differing opinions. This is just a healthier way to fight. I fear for your mental health, however, seeing as you can't seem to leave it the hell alone. Get over yourself already." -- Charles.
"Hey Kate, who the hell are you to tell this guy how to right? Stop pining after your ex or whatever your doing and go find a healthier outlet than obsessing over some guy's writing. Get a damn life, for all of our sakes." -- Hal.
"Um excuse me Hal, but you need to mind your own damn business and learn how to spell" -- Kate.
"Loved the article. I guess what my mom always said is true: There is still a few remaining gentlemen out there that will open doors for you and all that stuff. And to Kate from what I've seen on here and heard you seem to be the psychopath not Rob. He's a very different person with ideas of his own and no one is going to make him change. We had a different relationship and it was also very hard because of the different race matter me being white and him being black, but he's still a good guy who I will always love and will always cherish the times we spent together. And it seems to me that you can't get over him or you wouldn't be over and over again bashing him and his friends. Rob's ex." -- Kris.
"There was a girl named Kristal that was a friend a Rob's but thay never dated, and I don't think the general public gives a crap if you believe someone you have never met, or if this is Rob, had your heart broken by, is insane. You obviously don't have a clue and are lashing out. I believe that relational problems should be dealt with in private without involving other people that are not involved. I believe that Rob is the insane one, first bringing his problems onto this website and then threatening Kate and her family on the internet. "Kris" I will email you what he wrote if you need proof that he is insane. Actually neither one of them is insane, breaking off a relationship is just hard. Don't you understand that? Kate is my friend, and I don't think that people that don't even know her have any business judging her. I think she has been through enough just dealing with Rob for so long. By the way they were also an interacial couple, you poor baby." -- Shauna.
"I am friends with Kristal, and not only has she never dated Rob, she would never be that judgemental. " -- Sarah.
"First of all my name is not Kristal it's Kristin and I did date Rob a year ago. You probably don't know me because I live in Kentucky. So, don't be saying over and over that you know me when you don't." -- Kris.
"Rob is pure evil, Satan spawn. He fits the profile of a wife beater, child abuser, or serial killer. Notice how he needs to attack both his ex girlfriend and his former best friend, and he tries to get his friends who don't know either party to get involved. Why are you friends with Satan anyway?" -- Mo.
"Hmm..well..this continues, doesn't it? Even though Rob may be violent and have a strange attraction to violent films with little to no artistic value, he is not the kind of guy who would abuse children, and yes, I do not think he would beat a wife either, unless she makes fun of John Woo. As for Kris, well..it's nice to see you have turned up again, and so subtly too. Did he finally buy the "oh I do still love you" bit?" -- The German.
"Charlie, I must confess myself a votary to love. I agree whole-heartedly to everything you have said. Of course, I suppose you already knew this due to our past experiences with the fairer sex. " -- Brentyn .


The Old Homeplace by Tara A. Lambert (1)
"Heart warming piece. Made me concerned for the lack of knowledge I have for my family's roots." -- E.L. Bennett, Chesapeake, VA, USA.


The Keeper by E. L. Bennett (1)
"Nice descriptions of simple nature, nice choice of a grave site, shows someone's love of life. " -- Shelley, Fullerton, California, USA.


Story Of Success by Heather Springer (1)
"ok" -- lulu.


My Teacher Of Life by Kim Dow (3)
"two pages" -- Kevin , garland, tx, dallas.
"You were so lucky in spite of the other tragedies. It's a beautiful portrait of your grandmother. Keep going. " -- Randy Barfield.
"My grandmother is 85 years old and I love her dearly and I look up to her as well.I very happy that you have someone in your life that is a great inspiration to you.I wish nothing but the best for you,your family and your grandmother and I compliment you on a great essay." -- David Daniels.


Every Woman Wants To Be Seduced by Joseph A Santiago (2)
"Pretty good. You should read my Lust poem right here in Storymania." -- KyleMae Miller (Burtts), Auburn, Wa, 98002.
"The author likes to (literally) seduce young men. Pervert." -- k.


A Woman Is A Flower-A Man Is A Tree by Susan T Fisher (1)
"A very interesting observation.But the way you describe a woman and compare her to a beautiful flower leads me to believe that you are a lesbian.There is nothing wrong with that of course but why can't you find any beauty in a man? Has a man scorned you? Was your heart broken by a man and then you turned gay.There seems to be more to this story then you are telling." -- David.


A Lesson In Love by Sharon Grata (1)
"Very moving and very true...well done!" -- Jan Francis, OHIO.


Echoes Of Madness; A Night With Lee Scratch Perry by Martin De Leon (3)
"It's good to know your alive man!" -- AC Keane.
"ypu seem to love music as only those who love silence can. your texts are a caleidoschope of Order and stream of counsciousness. you do it well with the art and knowledge of a teacher. are you a teacher?" -- Jorge Freire.
"i want to formally thank you for taking the time to read my work, Jorge. Please know that your commentary on various pieces of mine will be fully appreciated and valued. In response to your question, no, i am simply a student of the written word. peace." -- martin de leon.


The Price Of Freedom by Matt Laubenstein (1)
"I thought your essay was very good. I also thought your it was very true to what you and most Americans feel is right. " -- Chris Beavers, Normal, Illinois, USA.


Let's Have Some Fun With H M Os by Georgia Kraff (1)
"I thought this essay was hilarious. It was even more so since I worked with HMO's on a regular basis at a previous employer. I really thought it was entertaining and I am going to show this to some friends to look at also." -- Emcee Teacup.


Friend by Emcee Teacup (1)
"Aawwwww! That was so cute. Refreshing. I enjoyed this very much" -- kendall.


Essay For Western Civilization-Ancient History Part I by Lissa N Metz-Gomez (1)
"Nice paper to stumble upon here at Storymania. I liked your original thinkin, it did not come across as regurgitation of instilled facts. The format was different for a college paper, so it seemed. The only criticism I offer would contend with, what I fell, were assumptions by the author. The shift of balance from equality to men was stated but not explained. We know that today shifts of balance like that do not 'simply' occur. What caused it? What created the sense of superiority? Also with religion, which is a much maligned notion. The corruption in religion which endears it to so many cynics is rooted in politics and the struggle for power - or scarce resources. This dynamic permeates all facets of society and religion certainly was not immune to it. Today a science based culture rules and it too kills and corrupts and demeans the human 'spirit'. In all though I felt your sincerity and enjoyed the read. " -- olef ransom saulles.


Creed: A Tribute by Matt Laubenstein (3)
"I found this essay to be extremely interesting since I, too, am a huge fan of Creed. However, there are a few things that I'd suggest to make this a slightly better essay. First, it begins talking about Scott Stapp, the lead vocalist, but it does not mention that he is the lead, nor does it mention the other members of the band. The essay is about "Human Clay" and Scott Stapp, not so much Creed as a whole. I like the focus and commentary about their second album, but to do this, maybe an opinion of the first will help a reader to understand why you think the way that you do. Do a little bit of comparison of the 2 albums, based on lyrics, the instruments, the emotional connotations in the music, etc. The last thing I would suggest is to provide more information on how far the band has come together-from the beginning days of each member, to how they came together, to what they've accomplished so far, and finally, what they hope to do for the future. This will keep the reader interested in your opinion, as well as possibly keeping their attention to the band in the future and anticiapting their tour, album, or other promotion that is in their sights. Other than these few, slight suggestions, I liked the essay and am always willing to read more about a great band that knows how to keep thier fans entertained!" -- Amanda, IL, USA.
"If you want to compare Creed and Pearl Jam you should wait until Creed gets good." -- Ty.
"I felt that your essay on Creed was very entertaining. You did a good job of keeping interest throughout the whole thing by the way wrote for your audience. I also like the way you focused on the second album. It gave it a more direct approach this way. " -- Kristina Saxon.


Belonging by Matt Laubenstein (6)
"Hey there Matt, I don't envy the current position your story is in right now since it directly borders that of The Fate Winds. The Guardian has a nasty tendency to invade the stories that border his own, I know this from experience. Anyhow if the ordering isn't moved and soon don't say I didn't warn you if you suddenly find yourself getting sucked through your computer into the land of The Fate Winds, just like three of the other authors around here." -- EC Allen.
"You are quite correct Allen, but invading the psycho-babble which is printed here would be a waste of my time. I need a "story" with a plot, action, and some meat to it, for it to be worthwhile for me to invade, take-over, and consume the souls of the characters within as well as the soul of the writer, just as I did with Hi Light, and her poem about rainbows and friends." -- Guardian.
"If I told you once, I told you a thousand times, no swallowing souls before dinner." -- Tyna Aberdeen.
"This essay doesn't seem to have a purpose, it sounds more like you are shunning people for wanting to belong. This essay is also not very organized and it was quite hard for me to follow. Your conclusion was strong except for the last sentence, I don't understand what you were trying to say there." -- jenn, Chi, IL.
"Very cynical, but also a-matter-of-fact. I see your description said 16yr old who writes a lot. By your essay it shows you think a lot as well. The content shows promise, but you seem to have misjudged your point, because I couldn't find it. As an essay it is solely your duty to express your viewpoint as best you can, and your line of: "If your not beautiful enough, or well dressed enough, you dont deserve to be apart of something you want to be. This is the sad truth of our world" defiles the purpose of your piece, because you have a duty as a writer to envoke empathy, and forced statements such as the abovementioned just doesn't cut it" -- Guyver.
"This essay has two major problems. First, it is quite unoriginal. The need for acceptance and especially among young people, peer pressure, are topics which have been expounded upon by psychologists and behavioral experts in all generations. You have said nothing new nor have you enlightened anyone by re-hashing these concepts. Secondly, You show signs of some knowledge of composition but you've made numerous spelling mistakes and/or typos and got careless with other clumsy grammar and punctuation errors. This essay is only 560 words yet there are SEVEN spelling mistakes and several punctuation omissions. If this were an English composition, you would get an "F" most assuredly. You say you write all the time. One cardinal rule you better learn is this: Before you mail, fax, or post something you've written to anyone, review your work and edit it. Do you think you would be contacted for a job interview if the resume you emailed had seven spelling mistakes and other blips? " -- Richard.


Ancient History Part 2 by Lissa N Metz-Gomez (1)
"ok" -- lulu.


A Guy Thing by Georgia Kraff (3)
"Bastard. My heart sunk when I read the first paragraph! Im sure its easier to write a stroy that is true since you really made me understand how completely horrible that situation must have been...." -- Emcee Teacup.
"I think the beginning of the story was the best part. I read over it twice because the first time I really did not get the point. I think it is a perfect way to get the reader's attention. You had mine instantly. This is a very good story and I really enjoyed reading it." -- Ryan Grelecki.
"Good story. You captured the mood of what you were feeling immediently, which was nice because it got the readers involved right away.Nice to know that he left the other women. What goes around comes around!!" -- Kristen.


South Florida Memoirs by Georgia Kraff (1)
"The story was not what I expected. I thought it would deal with the stupidity of people in Florida or the pointlessness of recounting ballots. After reading I realized the correctness of the title, the stupidity of people and how what you see and think is never what you get. Nothing is the way it seems." -- Mike, Normal, IL.


Faith And The Stars by Mary Ann Delk (2)
"I agree with your sentiments exactly, how can people look at Gods creation and its beauty and still not believe?" -- Rikki Duncan, Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom.
"Dear Mary,ever since I accepted Jesus as my lord and saviour good things have happened to me.And when the bad things in life happen I feel as though I have a friend who I can depend on to guide me through those tough times.But I have to admit when I see all the violence in the world and I see the terrorism that takes place sometimes I have doubts about my faith.But then I go to church and I ask Jesus to help me be a strong believer and then I look at the stars in the sky and realize that there is also a lot of beauty in this world that the Lord is responsible for.I'll admit that there were times when I would blame God for my misfortunes and I would think that he is out to get me.But when I accepted him into my heart I put my life into his hands and he has led me on a path to happiness that I could only thank him for.God bless you and I hope to read more of your spiritual writings." -- David Daniels.


The Firstborn Of God. Resolving The Contradictions In The Bible. by Gail Evans (5)
"999 words, huh? Flip that over and you get the point of this exercize in faith." -- Danny Gonzales, Whittier, CA, USA.
"I think Danny Gonzalez could very well be right, but I'm going to give the author a little credit. I believe I understand what she's getting at, seeing if we can detect hidden meanings and messages in her work, just like the original priests and prophets did with their's, thereby making the two testaments the confusing, contradictory pieces they are today (Am I right so far?). The Bible has been my heretical battleground for 23 years now, and I gladly tell you why. As some know, EC Allen is only my pen name, which sounds better than my real one Jerry George. Since I am a George, I am decended from St. George, thus a heretical version of the Bible, both new and old testament has been carefully handed down to me. It would take too long to go into here, but know that I whole-heartedly agree the KJ version is the disaster that occured when the original founders of the Christian church tried slamming together the stories and ideals of all the multitude of Christian sects that were out there. And if you need an example of how right I am, just look at how great that worked, since it unraveled back into a bunch of different little Christian sects, Methodists, Baptists, Lutherans, Catholics, etc., ad infinitum..." -- EC Allen.
"I'm far from a Biblical scholar, but I had a problem with the beginning of your second paragraph. "If the Bible is the word of God, .... it should follow that the chapters and verses should be clear cut and easily understood." God is far from clear cut, and it is arrogant to think that He could be easily understood by us, so why should we think that His word would be simple? The problem is not so much that the Bible is full of contradictions. The problem is the men who choose to interpret the words to suit their own philosophies, their own morality or lack of it, as well as their other social and political views. There are many clear cut interpretations of morality in the Bible. Yet, men refuse to acknowledge their validity, citing arguments that the Bible was written by men who misinterpreted or distorted the word of a holy man, who wasn't really God anyway. For example, there are several references in the Bible to homosexual behavior, denouncing it, and clearly defining it as sinful, abhorrent, and against the will of God. Yet, this scripture is challenged, even by some members of the clergy. These deviant interpretations are the bases that get our society and our lives headed in the wrong direction. That's why so many people love to say "different strokes." Thinking this way, there is no behavior that is sinful, as long as we don't harm anyone. What we often fail to realize, is that the greatest harm is done to ourselves and our souls. I talked to a man who was dying. He never believed in religion or God. On his death bed, he said, "Priest? Who needs a Priest? There's no God." His daughter said, "I hope you're right." " -- D Koss.
"Dear Danny Gonzales, You were the one that flipped it. Your choice. Gail Evans" -- Gail Evans.
"Gail, you sound like a hard-line feminist. First of all, men and women were never equal and never meant to be so. Creating man and woman in His image has little to do with democracy, as you put it, or any other political connotation for that matter. People may be treated equally (by God), but this does not make them equal to each other. As for democracy, do you think Jesus believed in it? Was he elected by his apostles? " -- Richard, OH.


View's Of Man's Nature by Ali Nicole Burton (1)
"ok" -- lulu.


The One Emotion by Michael W Miller (7)
"all true, until you lose them...." -- Blythe.
"What about anger? Anger has driven me towards more goals and to more ends than the faint pangs of love I ever felt. " -- RichardTatham.
"TRY WRITING YOUR STORY IN THE FORM OF A POEM.. IT MAY MAKE MORE SENCE. KEEP WRITING.." -- JOHN SPILBOR, LA GRANGEVILLE,, N.Y..
"This essay on love is very broad. It lacks really making a point, or at least making the point clear to the audience. The fact that everything you say is "I think" also pulls away fromm it's point. The writer should sound more confident and sure of what they're saying in order to make the reader believe what they're trying to say." -- Brent.
"I think that this was a very good point. In my opinion people who do not believe or refuse to love are actually the weak. It takes a very strong person to love someone with all that they have with the risk of not getting the same in return." -- Lisa, Elmhurst, IL, USA.
"I think that your essay does need some work. You are obviusly emotional about this subject but I dont think that you put enough detail into it. I think that you should share more in depth feelings and deeper love, not just the broad topic. You have a good starting point, but i think it needs to be organized better, maybe a poem." -- Ryan.
"i thank everybody who reviewed my essay, for being honest about what they think about my work. many of you seem to think that this essay in the form of a poem will make better sense, i will take that advice and will see what i can come up with. and again thank you! michael" -- michael miller, mechanicsville, maryland, usa.


Perfection by Michael Hunter (5)
"Not bad Mike....I thought about your desire and realized alot" -- michael hunter, honolulu, HI.
"We aren't all born equal...a baby born to a middle-classed family in Michigan stands a much better chance than a baby in Tepi, Uganda. A good essay, nonetheless." -- Kevin, Toronto, ON, Canada.
"ok" -- lulu.
"ok" -- lulu.
"You're right, Kevin from Toronto. So I suggest you become very successful so you can go to Uganda and give your money to as many as you can so that they will have a chance to become more equal to the rest of us. Young man, you are a typical liberal dipshit who will go through your entire life trying to take away rich people's money and wealth and redistribute it to others, including yourself. " -- Richard.


There are 41 title entries with reviews on this page.


Go to page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
 

Copyright © 1998-2001 Storymania Technologies Limited. All Rights Reserved.