www.storymania.com
Storymania Logo

 

 

Essays - Reviews




Short Stories - Reviews
Poetry - Reviews
Novels - Reviews
Plays - Reviews
Screenplays - Reviews
Songs - Reviews
Non-Fiction - Reviews
Essays Reviews
Foreign - Reviews
Reference - Reviews
Children - Reviews
Genres - Reviews

Africans, Westerners And Intelligence. by Colin Baker (2)
"Watson apologized as a result of pressure from the "politically correct elite." No sociologist or scientist can survive the wrath of these elitists. Therefore, it is far more expedient (and economically healthier) to acquiesce to such pressure just as one would apologize for calling an obese person "fat" or an illegitimate child a "bastard." His apology was made for those offended by his conclusions but it doesn't necessarily change his thesis. " -- Richard.
"Thanks Richard, and I agree, Watson's apology did nothing to change his thesis. It is now, as logically and as empirically flawed as it was before he sought to redeem himself. Colin" -- Colin baker.


The Unheard Of Name by Graham Reynolds (1)
"You share a name with Graham Green a famous author. " -- Shelley, Burkburnett, tx, USA.


The Tyrant Of Egypt by Wael El-Manzalawy (1)
"a scientist. When I know one night, other things bellowed" -- studentstude, London, Marlboro, France.


No Title Just Bs by Sheridan Pickett (3)
"Your last two sentences pretty much say it all. You're a bit short on writing talent but your self-perception is honest and this is good because it may lead you to pursue a different "niche" in life. " -- Lester.
"Funny thing is I know it's crap but you read the entire thing. Thanks for the input though" -- sheridan.
"Came across this while going over some of the late Lester's reviews. (I really loved to read his reviews) This piece has some potential if it were cleaned up a bit. You know most of the contributors to this site have deficiencies in grammar, punctuation, and spelling. Among the most common, as in this piece of yours, is the failure to use TOO (meaning also) when required, instead of TO. Believe it or not, this can make a big difference. Then there are careless mistakes like HERE when you mean HEAR; Or YOUR when you want to say YOU'RE (YOU ARE) or vice-versa; or THERE instead of THEIR (same thing again); also, failure to show possession like simply omitting the apostrophe and just plain poor diction (choice of words). The fact is, you don't have to be an English major to overcome these mistakes because most of them stem from just plain carelessness and failure to edit you own work. If you want a challenge, try re-writing this piece, keeping in mind primarily, the grammatical and punctuation mistakes. Don't change your theme or content in any other way. Then re-post your work. You will begin to enjoy writing more. P.S. But don't quit your day job. " -- Richard.


Interviews From Hell by Jeffrey Lee Williams (1)
"This is pretty well written and I assume it is all true. Having interviewed and hired many people in my working career, I agree that Henry was not very professional. However, my experience with people who take time off to deal with personal problems, ESPECIALLY IN THE FIRST TWO WEEKS OF THEIR EMPLOYMENT, tend to have these problems continuously. Let's just say it's hardly getting off on the right foot. I know some of these things are beyond your control but better they should happen later than in the first week or two of a new job. Bad timing? Perhaps, but episodes like this seem to follow certain people and you may be one of them. " -- Richard.


Unbridled Fury: The Battle To Breathe by R Bennett Okerstrom (2)
"This seems to speak to the inconsolable pain of mental illness and depict quite vividly the struggle to maintain true self. It is strong and visceral in voice. It moves." -- YMarlow.
"Thank you. I wrote this a very long time ago. I believe it was 1995. " -- R. Bennett.


What�S Wrong With Assimilation? by Richard Koss (4)
"Theodore Roosevelt was also responsible for the slaughter of Cubans during the Spanish American War." -- Emilio Mendez.
"We neeed another Teddy Roosevelt right now. " -- Lester.
"Damn! You have a lot of hatred and fear in you! How about a comprehensive plan to ending illegal immigration like going after the corporations and small compnaies that encourage it...actually makes profit off of it! I didn't read one thing in this piece about those violators...those criminals...its all of this American Jargon of English language and bleeding heart liberals...you sound like a sound bite off of Dope Head Limbaug. How about having Mexico step up and actively stop mexicans from coming into America like they do folks south of their borders from entering into Mexico! Come to think of it....you're just a whole loud of noise!" -- Liberal .
"To the asshole who calls himself Liberal: Hatred and fear? American Jargon of English language? The first thing you liberals do is accuse conservatives of hatred and fear when you feel threatened. However, it is really you liberals or "progressives," (since most of you don't like to be called liberals) who are the most angry and hateful hypocrites among us. You continously live under the delusion that you are so fucking hip and elite. In reality, you are the simple ones. You cling to PC buzz words like "diversity" and "change" and numerous other cache phrases devoid of substance; phrases that wreak with a familiar rotten odor to most of us, an odor you dummies have been trying to market as a fragrance for over a century. "A whole loud of noise." What the hell does that mean? Well, at least I can give you credit for trying to learn English. " -- Richard.


My Dad by T Demarest (7)
"I hope your dad recovers so that you may enjoy many more years with him. However, I think you should remind him that he is your dad and not Evil Knievil." -- Lester.
"Sounds like your Dad is going to recover well...be thankful for that, but remember to never pass up that one moment to say"I love you" " -- mattie.
"Dear Tanner, You did a great job of expressing your feelings. As a former teacher of Engllish, your writing is very clear, concise and well-organized. Best of all--I enjoyed reading it and am proud to have you as my nephew. I will put it in a file with other family writings. I hope you will write more. Please give my best wishes to your dad, and tell him that I think he is very lucky to have you for a caring, loving son. Aunt Barb" -- Barbara Martin, Lakewood, CO, USA.
"Great job Tanner! Funny how little (or big) gusts of wind can change our lives. And your parents are right - XBox is bad for your brain - I use the Playstation instead. " -- Mike, Lakewood, CO, USA.
"Very touching; you are a very talented writer. Vince" -- vince o'neal, vincennes, ind, usa.
"You are a smart boy Tanner! I especially like the part about the wind... you did a great job. We loved it here at our house." -- Amy.
"Very well done! You really conveyed how something positive can come out of a horrible accident. I love the last sentence." -- Michelle, Fairfax Station, VA, USA.


Media by M Hanson (1)
"no comment" -- carmen.


Existence Manifesto by Brandon Gregory Ryner Coltress (2)
"The real art of writing lies in not having to tell the reader why you wrote what you wrote. Better to have the reader guess that your motives were profound rather than have him find out you really don't know what the hell you're trying to say. " -- Lester.
"i guess i wrote this to have the reader guess. a profound motive is to tell somebody anything about existence. we're not supposed to ask questions." -- Brandon Coltress, Birmingham, Al, usa.


The Islamic Dream by Wael El-Manzalawy (17)
"I have visited your site 581-times" -- Visitor621, Paris, Alabama, France.
"I have visited your site 581-times" -- Visitor621, Paris, Alabama, France.
"Your site found in Google: position994" -- Visitor266, Paris, Alabama, France.
"I could not find this site in the Search Engines index" -- Visitor853, Paris, Alabama, France.
"I have visited your site 498-times" -- Visitor120, Paris, Alabama, France.
"I have visited your site 498-times" -- Visitor120, Paris, Alabama, France.
"Your site found in Google: position325" -- Visitor992, Paris, Alabama, France.
"I could not find this site in the Search Engines index" -- Visitor372, Paris, Alabama, France.
"I have visited your site 329-times" -- Visitor321, Paris, Alabama, France.
"I could not find this site in the Search Engines index" -- Visitor887, Paris, Alabama, France.
"I have visited your site 552-times" -- Visitor525, Paris, Alabama, France.
"I have visited your site 552-times" -- Visitor525, Paris, Alabama, France.
"I have visited your site 925-times" -- Visitor203, Paris, Alabama, France.
"I have visited your site 925-times" -- Visitor203, Paris, Alabama, France.
"Apparently, you fancy yourself and your people as martyrs. Martyrs are killed for their beliefs but they do not kill themselves, nor do they take the lives of innocent men, women, and children with them when they commit suicide. Good people of your faith who share the "Islamic Dream" do not advocate the murder of "infidels." (Those who do not share the same "Dream.") If you preach hatred and death for all Christians and Jews, you don't have a holy dream; you have a nightmare. Have I misunderstood you? " -- Richard.
"Hi Richard, I invite you to read my articles: "Islam" and "Questions and Answers about Islam"" -- Wael El-Manzalawy.
"Koran 9:29 "Fight those who believe not in Allah nor the last day, nor hold that forbidden which hath been forbidden by Allah and his apostle nor acknowledge the religion of truth of the people of the Book (the Jews and the Christians) until they pay the Jizya [tax on non-Muslims] with willing submission and feel themselves subdued." " -- Luke, NY, USA.


What Is Heaven? by Wanderer Bass (2)
"Many before you have contemplated Heaven and Hell. Do they really exist? What could we expect to find there? The more questions we ask, the more we come to see the futility of attempting to understand the grandiose plan of a Supreme Being. Do we really want to know? I don't think God ever intended us to know what Heaven or Hell is really like. If we knew for sure, wouldn't that be like cheating on a test? Who wouldn't be good or downright saintly if we were CERTAIN of receiving untold happiness and pleasure for eternity? He did however, give us a free will to think and act as we choose. Those who believe in God and try to live according to His teachings, believe they will be rewarded in an afterlife. Those who don't believe in God think our rewards and punishment are to be found only here on earth. Noone has ever returned to tell us who's right. " -- Richard.
"Some think "this" is hell...then wouldn"t everything other that "this" be heaven????????? even hanging around our fellow spirits trapped in hell but knowing that your spirit is free of the consequences hell can bring on the body and the spirit...to watch others endure hell, is that heaven?????????? " -- georgia enoch.


Transfusion by Julie Fonda (2)
"Critical review to follow, just giving you fair warning. " -- Richard.
"Your trying day in the life of a left-coast family left me quite unsympathetic due to your condescending, elitist, insistence upon cluttering up this piece with "Do I have an extensive vocabulary or what" words like essentiality, equanimity, cloying, and later synchronicity," - That's the one I really liked. You must have felt somewhat guilty using this one because you go on to re-define it at the end of the sentence. I knew a writer who made a living writing about nothing and saying even less. He was recognized more for his extensive vocabulary than for his substantive themes and story lines. He liked to find words seldom used by most writers. He would then create some thinly woven theme or plot to house these words. Apparently, he impressed the right people. If this is a representative sample of your finer work, I can understand why you have been published in the magazines listed in your bio. Although it may be entirely coincidental, your last name also magnifies the liberal slant which seems to pervade your writing style, most evident in your second last paragraph. We all know that giving pipe tobacco can be a real transfusion to fill the walls of our souls. Gimme a break - only a die-hard liberal could say that with a straight face. Sorry, but I'm just an old-fashioned guy who likes to read and write meat and potatoes tales. Make me laugh or cry; scare the hell out of me or leave me hanging in mid-air. But please don't bore me with a slice of your future auto-biography. " -- Richard.


If You Don't Like It... by Wanderer Bass (1)
"Even constructive criticism, which is what we all hope to receive, may contain several points the author may consider to be "not nice." In this case, noone should ever review your work because you will most certainly always be offended. Of course, your writing indicates you are offended easily, so this would come as no surprise to those of us who review and comment on your work. I enjoy reading and reviewing the work of others but I felt very uneasy reading most of your pieces. Everything is about you and you alone. It's me vs. all of them kinda stuff over and over again. Do you know anyone who likes you? Do you trust anyone? Do you have friends who like to hang out with you? Your reflection upon these questions will tell you honestly whether or not you have a problem. Good luck. " -- Richard.


On Turning Seventy by Liilia Morrison (3)
"Liillia, I LOVED this piece! I am 55, and you are my heroine!!! This was so well written, it held my interest, and it was delightful! Thanks for the opportunity to read your essay. Julie Fonda" -- Julie Fonda, Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA.
"I'm probably one of the few who visit this site who can appreciate where you're coming from. Age-wise, I'm right on your heels. My biggest problem is that I'm hung up on the past. I think the kids who post on this site have missed a lot despite their access to the internet, cell phones, and all the other technology at their finger tips. I used to love old time radio and reading the classics. I remember how much my mother loved to read Agatha Christie and Mary Roberts Rhinehart. I even liked the old time comics better than today's satirical and intellectual type of humor. Terry and the Pirates, Little Orhpan Annie, Joe Palooka and Lil' Abner would seem pretty lame to these kids today but then, I think our modern culture is also pretty lame. Maybe I've become cynical but hell, I think we've earned the right haven't we?" -- Richard.
"Oh,God! It was something!I am 33 and dream some day express the same thoughts about my 70!Sure you live in harmony with yourself.The people like you are never old in their appearance and clothes.I wish you have the same spirit in your 80s and 90s.It is areal gift from God who gave you wisdom not to burn your head with all those fluffy lips and artificial breasts.Good luck!Keep doing what you're doing and you'll live longer and much happier!" -- Elena Kravtsova, Nikolaev, Ukraine.


There are 15 title entries with reviews on this page.


Go to page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
 

Copyright © 1998-2001 Storymania Technologies Limited. All Rights Reserved.