www.storymania.com
Storymania Logo

 

 

Non-Fiction - Reviews




Short Stories - Reviews
Poetry - Reviews
Novels - Reviews
Plays - Reviews
Screenplays - Reviews
Songs - Reviews
Non-Fiction Reviews
Essays - Reviews
Foreign - Reviews
Reference - Reviews
Children - Reviews
Genres - Reviews

To End All Wars by Luke T Trouwborst (1)
"Much truth in what you have written. Even more incredulous was how Hitler managed to procure financial resources to re-build military hardware in a country ravaged by inflation and poverty. (There are several controversial theories about how the Nazi war machine was actually financed). He was obviously able to get the most out of a cheap labor force. A renewed nationalism inspired even by a lunatic can motivate laborers to monumental achievement. I love my country but there is a great deal of truth in your admonishment of the leaders of Westerm culture for their naivete' and arrogance to issue a mandate to people of eastern and middle east cultures who've shared centuries of hostility and hatred towards one another; "Now live together - be nice, don't fight." Well done. I still can't believe you're only sixteen. Maybe home schooling should be mandated. " -- Richard .


Of Art, Pt. 1 by Gregory Novak (1)
"Quite thought provoking. Your last sentence implying that the "studious scientist" would not approach his work with the same flippancy ..... as the artist is contradicted by modern day scientists who seem to pick and choose the evidence they "develop" to sustain a consensus of opinion. An opinion which seems to favor political expedience more than scientific fact ie., man's burning of fossil fuels having a significant effect on global warming. Pure unadulterated bullshit. " -- Richard.


Miracle By Chance by GardnerJ (1)
"Truth is stranger than fiction. What a lovely story. And congratulations to you both." -- Sooz, Barow, Cumbrai, England.


Jane Doe Thursday 10th January 2008 by Sooz (1)
"Sorry, did edit this but obviously forgot to save the edit so it's a li'll bit messy. " -- Sooz, Barrow, Cumbria, England.


I Should Think It Like A Fist by Gregory Novak (1)
"A lot of words but lacking in smooth transition. Instead of the thoughts flowing smoothly, they come in sharp angles forcing the reader to back up and dissect their meaning, instead of letting it all come to you. Even the metaphors seem awkward at times, as if they were there only for effect. Metaphors in writing, like technical improvisation in music or a chef seasoning his creation, are more appreciated when used sparingly. Just my humble thoughts. " -- Richard.


Developed And Scary by Randall Barfield (3)
"I normally concur with most everything you write but I'm confused by your comments, specifically in your second last paragraph. Why do you equate our loss of moral authority with any administration? (By administration, I assume you refer to the Presidency, the party in power and his cabinet members.) The decline of morality in our society is far more attributable to the media, academia, the entertainment industry, and most of all to the failure of today's parents to uphold the religious traditions and code of morality our parents and ancestors passed down to us. The primary theme in our modern culture is "don't pass judgement." This really equates to the "amoral" defining morality. There is no good or bad, no right or wrong. How do we expect young people to act if they grow up believing that? Morality has been forever defined by (religious) tradition. However, the self-annointed elite among us who work to implement secularism and political correctness, have decided that tradition is suddenly old-fashioned and should be ignored. " -- Richard.
"My reply to you was not accepted. Sorry. I don't feel like writing it again or 'doctoring' it. Thanks, anyway for your reponse." -- barf.
"Barfield, your reply to Richard's review sounds like a cop out. I think he makes some very valid points. " -- Angelo Forello.


Lying Little Liars - In Other Words, Our Government And It's Party Political Propaganda Tool - The Media by Thepratmeister (8)
"Like all discontents who have never done much with their lives, you blame all the obvious sources you can think of for the failure of lazy and ignorant people to become successful. Despite the political and alleged corporate corruption, there is still opportunity for those who want to get an education and get off their ass in this or any western country. " -- Lester.
"Like all self-satisfied smug bastards who are rolling in the dough while others suffer due to the economic policies of psychopaths who want only to top up their bank balances, you couldn't give a fuck about anyone but yourself. You make my point for me, thank you, you gutless puppet of the corporations." -- thepratmeister.
"You're right about one thing. I don't give a fuck about people like you who think a good economic policy is to tax the hell out of people like me and give my money to lazy, ignorant, assholes like yourself. It's obvious you have little knowledge of economics or basic capitalism for that matter. Many like you who haven't a clue show their ignorance by joining the blogger dummies in bashing "corporate America" because they don't know who else to blame for their under-achieving, meaningless, existence. They should really blame their parents for failing to teach them self-respect and the difference between right and wrong. (Not to mention passing on some very inferior genes to them.) " -- Lester.
"People like you should be taxed the hell out of. Anyone dumb enough to do whatever these corporate scum and lying politicians tells them to doesn't deserve money in the first place. Inferior genes? People like you are an inferior SPECIES." -- pratmeister.
"Lester, as usual, you are right on the money. However, it is folly to argue with a fool. God gave us His commandments and granted us a free will to make choices. Unfortunately, He played one cruel joke on humanity. He allowed anyone to procreate and flood the earth with idiots like the author of this silly piece who demonstrate their ignorance with every word they write and every sound they utter. Sad but true. " -- Richard.
"I have used this site for many years and with most of the stuff posted on here recently makes me want to give up the will to live. A couple of points: thepratmeister has more reviews than the rest of you which at the very least says he is writing something that readers feel worth responding to whether positive or negative.. This site is no longer about feedback and encouragement between its members as, to my mind, you are all caught up in yourselves and can't be arsed to read or review other authors. In addition, agree or disagree with him, at least he has the balls to say what he really thinks and feels, and in this pathetically politically correct insane world of ours, I for one find it refreshing. When visiting this site (only occasionally now) the pratmeister is one of the very few that I will bother to read. " -- Mungo .
"This is for Mungo: Anyone is entitled to write anything they choose when it comes to poetry and fiction. However, when you write political commentary, you owe it to the other readers to do some research and not spout off using dumb, cliche'd worn out phrases like "evil corporate America or religious maniacs and wage slavery." These are silly, nonsensical phrases copied from left-wing bloggers and the liberally biased press. There are no facts presented by this writer to support any of his impotent rants. I think you have proven you are just as ignorant and naive as the author when you say you find his writing "refreshing." There's nothing refreshing about trash. " -- Richard.
"Good attempt at faking an intellect, i suppose you wanted to give substance to you're claims of intellectual superiority in your sad little rants on australia. Your whole political epiphany is old news and half-baked and is usually presented more eloquently by others. It is really becoming obvious that you have literary pretentions without the talent to pull anything substantial off. " -- rents.


You Can Keep Your Fking Jesus-God by Randall Barfield (2)
"Randall,as usual, you are pretty much right on target. The secularist leaders of the free world don't want to hear about what's good and bad. They glorify the concept of individual rights over and above religious doctrine and the wisdom of those who have come before us. Therefore, in today's society, a person who chooses to live a life of sin is often more accepted and revered than a "good' person. As a result, there is no outrage and very little criticism of bad behavior. This is particularly evident in the media coverage of celebrity lifestyles. However, when a religious leader or "good" person falls astray, watch out! They will show no mercy in demonizing these people as hypocrites. " -- Richard.
"Again, thanks for visiting and commenting. You are on target. Everyone falls astray at times, as you put it, regardless of whether or not she or he chooses religion as her or his life's work. The 'demonizing' is nothing less than a firing squad! " -- barf.


Billy Graham's Death by Randall Barfield (1)
"Thank heavens for Psalm 91 eh! Thought this a strange-interesting piece, Randall. And Mr C.H. Spurgeon really is fantastic, I agree -lookout for 'Faiths Checkbook'. Regards." -- ann gordon.


What The World Wide Web Thinks Of Aussies by Thepratmeister (1)
"most of them are gays," -- stalemated king.


So Your For The Death Penalty. by Jeanette Harris (4)
"The way your spell and write, I would be terrified to have you on a jury if I were on trial. " -- Richard.
"Don't worry about the spelling any ways every one have their on view of the subject. Nice to read anyones views to." -- Jacky, Stockholm, Sweden.
"The question is how did someone so fucking dumb not get challenged? People who are productive, have meaningful jobs and lives can't really afford to be on jury duty. So their employers write letters to get them excused. That leaves us with people who have nothing better to do and spend most of their time at home watching the likes of Donohue, Oprah, Judge Judy or some other trash on TV. The judicial system entitles us to a jury of our peers. Today's juries consist of peers alright. Unfortunately, they are more like peers of the criminals on trial than peers of society in general. " -- Lester.
"You know Lester your manner stink. you are ill mannered, rude, impolite, you have poor manners, Lester let me teach you some magic words one is please and the other is thank you" -- J.


Spike by Greg J Brey (1)
"Great story. reminds me of my in laws dog who was just like spike and couldn't wait to roll in something smelly as soon as she had had a bath. really made me smile and laugh out loud. " -- kate kerrison.


Finding A Poem-Short Story Topic by Randall Barfield (1)
"24% of Americans believe that the Internet is able for a time to replace them with a loved one. For obvious reasons, such sentiments particularly prevalent among residents of the United States alone. Both men and women can replace the beloved, beloved trips to the World Network. However, the willingness to such transactions vary among followers of different ideologies: conservatives frowned relate to this idea, and the "progressive-minded" on the contrary, Nerkarat it. Study company Zogby International also showed that every fourth resident of the United States have their own representation in the web-site or internet-stranichka. Creating internet-dvoynikov most passionate about young people (18-24 years of age) - 78% of them have personal Web page. In doing so, 68% of those surveyed said that the World Wide Web, they do not appear in its original capacity, their virtual overnight seriously different from the real. Only 11% of Americans would agree implantable microchip in his brain, which would provide them with direct contact with the Internet. But the situation is changing, in the case of children. Almost every fifth resident of the United States would agree to equip their child safety device which would allow him to track the movement in space on the Internet. 10% of U.S. stated that the Internet brings them to God. " In turn, 6% are convinced that because of the existence of the World Wide Web God away from them. And how you feel? Sorry bad English." -- Zeratulss, Kwekwe, Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe.


Who I Am by Me (13)
"it needs 2 hav more 2 it 2 make it sound lik a story or an essay not jus a thing but its not bad" -- Joachin.
"i found this quite disturbing in that i could relate to it so well, especially the end. collecting can be a lonely, though exciting, road." -- curious.
"Powerful words" -- kwilt.
"Thank you for your words - this is the first thing I have put on here and the first time I have 'exposed' myself in this way - nice to hear that I am not the only one. Curious to know Curious - have you found someone to captivate your mind and keep 'filling the boxes'?" -- me.
"Joachim - it is just a things - a soul laid bare. I can't complete it into a thing as that would make it into a captive object - something which my spirit is not - it's a wandering one, searching for something that I wish I knew what it was but thank you for taking the time to read" -- me.
"well me, that's hard to describe. frequently found new someones and just as frequently moved on though the last one was quite a wake up call. a hazard of being shallow i suppose. " -- curious.
"I think you'd be a very interesting person to meet, so very similar to me. I have found another me and at the moment we are filling up each others boxes and I think he may have found the sticky tape - probably not for long though! Oh well, on to my next ramble now" -- me.
"tried to answer this with some info about getting rid of the comments but it was blocked. oh well, happy hunting." -- curious.
"so, u found another 'me', be interesting to see who tires of who first or perhaps you'll both find you've come a bit too close to the fire and find yourselves mutually devoured. part of the excitement of the game i guess. in any event, good luck." -- curious.
"I do find that here (Storymania), I can bear my soul, such as it is on paper. I find it intriguing that you know who you are, for that is something I have never discovered about my own self. Perhaps that is because I am always changing. We are all collectors of something...my opinion anyway. Welcome and I hope to read more from you :) " -- mattie.
"Nice strong words!!!" -- Ryan Morales.
"I'm not sure whether I believe you're fantasizing or just embellishing the truth a bit. I'd be interested in your reaction to the first man(assuming you're a heterosexual female) who becomes indifferent to your attempt at seduction or to get him to love you, as you put it. You may not like that experience. As I read your other offerings, I note that you have not made your gender of sexual orientation obvious in any of them. Is there a reason?" -- Lester.
"Lester apologies, I had not seen this review until now. Unfortunately I am not embellishing; this is from the heart. It's more a collecting - I'm not ugly but neither am I beautiful - I guess I'm just lucky that so many men were or are interested. I would like to meet that man though as it would be new and challenging. I'm afraid I am a little lazy and tend not to chase too hard. I am indeed a heterosexual female. Perhaps the ambiguity was as subconscious as the choice of 'Me' for a moniker. I suppose the intention was to appeal to the masses and so therefore not restricting my appeal by specifying my gender. Thank you for taking the time Lester. I am a fan of you - particularly your efforts at informing Matthew Mark Gill of his real station in life!" -- Me.


Advertising The Devil by Randall Barfield (2)
"yes Randall,you are correct and I commend you for it. A positive approach to everything we do is truly in the Christian spirit. The great English Christian writer G.K. Chesterton, wrote about the negative spirit of the secularists and aheists of his time. Today, we are engulfed with that negative spirit by the secularists and atheists of our time. Everything we hear or read warns us against the dangers of smoking, eating junk foods, of obesity, high cholesterol, and other health hazards, and of being mean spirited or using non-politically correct language. The culture police are telling what not to do but they are afraid to tell us how to be good and enjoy life in a way that is pleasing to God. Chesterton wrote in his book "Heretics" about the messengers of this negative spirit. I paraphrase him as follows: They argue against men indulging in vice because it can cause desease and other harmful societal maladies rather than saying vice is sinful and displeasing to God, which is a far more wholesome reason for abstaining from vice. They preach about the need to exercise to remain healthy and prevent obesity and to limit the use of strong drink, except for medicinal purposes. Chesterton says, men should exercise because they enjoy the pleasure of a good walk or run or swim or climb and love the exhilerating sensation of being outdoors or physically competing with others. If this positive approach to exercise is followed, good health will be a rewarding by-product and not merely an objective. We should enjoy drinking in celebration of momentous occasions, holidays, or good comradeship. We should never drink when we are depressed or angry or because we are addicted. If you are not familiar with Chesterton, you should try reading some of his many works. " -- Richard.
"Truly kind of you to take the time and make the effort to comment this extensively. My sincere thanks. RB " -- barfield.


Letter To Elvis by Randall Barfield (1)
"I have loved Elvis since I was 12 years old...and loved him all the more because parents thought he was evil!!!!!And you are so right on about the medical community turning him into an addict and the world wanting more and more of him till they sucked the life out of his spirit. So his body is gone but his spirit lives on. Thank you very much... ps... have you listened to Neil Young's "The Last Time I Saw Elvis" on the Prairie Wind cd?? great sounding elvis riffs..." -- georgia.


It's Not All About Sex by Carla Thomson (1)
"Your so true, and smart relationships are good and when ya add sex and passion most of the time you get burned. Girls like someone who is unpredictable and rebelish like me.. ha" -- Matthew Mark@, USA.


Angel Of Death by Monica L Sprague (5)
"Super cool story, very unique Laters" -- Matthew Mark@, USA.
"WOW...I don't know what else to say...I found this piece shocking! Guess it leaves me wondering what you were trying to say by this...or are they just random words put to paper?" -- mattie.
"jonny" -- jonny, jonny, jonny, jonny.
"jonny14" -- jonny7, jonny8, jonny10, jonny19.
"I was not impressed by this piece, although I could understand how some young readers would be. Low and behold, I see the words of approval from none other than Matthew Mark, the ultimate kiss of death, irrefutable proof that this is low quality writing. Having Matthew Mark praise your work is like having Yogi Berra doing book reviews for the Wall Street Journal. " -- Richard.


There are 18 title entries with reviews on this page.


Go to page: 1 2 3 4 5
 

Copyright © 1998-2001 Storymania Technologies Limited. All Rights Reserved.