www.storymania.com
Storymania Logo

 

 

Poetry - Reviews




Short Stories - Reviews
Poetry Reviews
Novels - Reviews
Plays - Reviews
Screenplays - Reviews
Songs - Reviews
Non-Fiction - Reviews
Essays - Reviews
Foreign - Reviews
Reference - Reviews
Children - Reviews
Genres - Reviews

The Din by R Bennett Okerstrom (15)
"It is truly amazing how such a short piece of literature can be so bold. I enjoy your work." -- Lynne, Ft. Worth, Texas.
"Breaking up should be permanent. " -- R. Bennett.
"Short, powerful and to the point. Liked." -- Ulysses Hero, England.
"Thank you Ulysses. Sometimes you can say a lot with only a few words." -- R. Bennett.
"Are you paper-published??? You are keeping me up into the wee hours !!!!!" -- Judith.
"No, not yet. I wouldn't even know where to begin. Do you really think this stuff is good enough?" -- R. Bennett.
"Yes ... I do. Do you write short stories too? Are you, perhaps, working on the next "Great American Novel"? Or are you just an extremely talented poet?" -- Judith.
"I haven't written any short stories in probably ten years. Thanks for the compliment. I guess I'm too modest to realize my work is actually pretty good." -- R. Bennett.
"Modesty is a virtue, I'm told ... Your work is more than "pretty good". Have you thought of posting your short stories here? I would love to read a few." -- Judith.
"I wouldn't even know where to find them! They are probably buried somewhere amongst old soccer jerseys and hockey equipment!" -- R. Bennett Okerstrom.
"Oh but I bet they'd be worth the digging .... or, better yet, how about some new ones ..." -- Judith .
"No time for new ones. Sorry." -- R. Bennett.
"Short and to the point." -- The Reviewer.
"This makes me ache." -- Royal D.
"Powerful, huh?" -- R. Bennett.


A Guy Who Didn't Talk by Corey Alissa (1)
"It started off making sense, but it went downhill from there. Sometimes, we sacrifice sensibility for a rhyme, and it ends up detracting from the poem...." -- Bennett.


You Let Your Jealousy Overtake You by Omar Longoria (3)
"Pissed?" -- will, Baton Rouge.
"eh hemm.... *whittles thumbs*" -- Kimberly De Liz.
"What can i say thats my brother for you!!! this is the first time i've ever seen your shit online... thanks for telling me you little bitch! I love you and miss you< happy brith day 6/21/05, Love your little sis Laura Longoria. I knew it was you when i started reading!!!!!" -- LaurA, El paso, TX, U.S.A.


Whispers From Small French Children by Martin De Leon (4)
"Well, this is pretty cool, from what saw... but mostly it was just a bunch of deep seeded words that i didn't understand :-) You're one of those people, aren't you? That hide simpleness in wavy words and different appelations? COOO-ULLL... heh heh. keep it up, i like reading this kinda thing... gets the brain goin, y'know?" -- Kimberly De Liz.
"There are some lines that provoke thought. I can't help but equate poetry like this to a defense mechanism. If you alone can interpret the meanining of your work, than who can judge it? The purpose of any form of writing is not to befuddle or confuse the reader, but to ease his journey through it. Sometime simplicity is the answer. If we have something truly worth saying, should we not share it, rather than conceal it? " -- D Koss.
"Take no notice of these two...poetry is free falling expression-the conscious stream of thought-if you have something to say it finds its own way out...with words as the tool of its exposition-it has nothing to do with making things easy-expression is expression. By the way I dig the poem." -- Duluoz.
"Duluoz, I want to extend my gratitude for reading my work and constructing some thoughtful commentary. In addition i want to state that i agree completely with you in reference to your comments. "language is a social art" - w.v. quine. peace." -- martin de leon.


We Care Carebears We Care! by Omar Longoria (1)
"Brings a smile and overwhelming feelings of my little boy holding his little sisters hand chanting together in front of the tv... WE CARE CAREBEARS WE CARE! :-) Miss you dearly! " -- gloria, El Paso, TX.


The Killing Heart by Christy Mack (10)
"SWEET JOB!!! dont change it it is awsome!" -- Christina McClay.
"I can feel your pain-I've also been there-good job!" -- Kim Baccellia, Foothill Ranch, Ca.
"Well done, you can't "beat" that!" -- EC Allen.
"I agree with the rest, well done " -- Janae Anthony.
"Great job! This brought tears to my eyes. I am seeing my own thoughts and feelings in print. thanks! " -- JM, Michigan.
"Wow, I've been there, I couldn't have said it better." -- patricia, new york.
"Poignant, powerful, palpable." -- Jon Sims, Arlington, VA.
"Excellent work. I think you'd enjoy reading a few of mine that are along similar lines." -- R. Bennett Okerstrom.
"Impressive, clear and concise...great work! Really touched home..." -- Karen.
"You captured the feeling well! I've been there. Sucks, huh?" -- Tessa.


Psalms Of A Hypocrite by Janae D Anthony (5)
"WOW! Being religious, this really touched me. I bet this'll have an effect on other people as well. Nice job, but you should check your spelling/grammar a little. :):)" -- Christy Mack.
"thanks christy, I have re-reviewed and you were right. I have made the changes, and thanks for the nice review" -- Author.
"Bless you this is a beaitful poem." -- Jon.
"Hello, my name is Toni and I am the head publisher of a small new publishing house called Serendipity Press, we're looking for talented poets to publish in the first edition of our new magazine ; Musings. I wanted to know if you would be interested in letting us use one or two of your personal favorites. This is no joke, there is no pay, but you also don't have to pay a reading fee, and you get a free copy when its printed in December. So get back to us when you make your decision and I look forward to printing your work! :-) Sincerely" -- Toni J L:ynch, USA.
"Thanks Ms Lynch, for finding my work so accepting for your publishing company, feel free to use anyone that you like, and if you want more, I will gladly e-mail them to you..once again thank you" -- author, USA.


Ponderings: A Collection by Reed Stuart (2)
"A lot of good ideas, but it seemed to be somewhat repetitive, and it needs to flow a little better. Otherwise a great story! Keep it up." -- Christy Mack.
"I think it is a good statement of thoughts, and repitition was not meant to be brought out by the author. It's great. Keep it up!" -- LCF.


It Never Ends by Omar Longoria (1)
"Hello, my name is Toni and I am the head publisher of a small new publishing house called Serendipity Press, we're looking for talented poets to publish in the first edition of our new magazine ; Musings. I wanted to know if you would be interested in letting us use one or two of your personal favorites. This is no joke, there is no pay, but you also don't have to pay a reading fee, and you get a free copy when its printed in December. So get back to us when you make your decision and I look forward to printing your work! :-) Sincerely, Toni J Lynch" -- Toni L, USA.


Downtown: Coney Island Footlong by R Bennett Okerstrom (16)
"Review: Mr. Bennet, recently had the pleasure of reading your less-than-glowing reviews of my work. Gotta say, as a critic you're unconvincing. Although, after perusing your so-called "poetry", I'm less than surprised. Just to let you know, the two stories you cynically "ripped into" have previously been published and praised by people who are employed in writing as more than just an online deadbeat poet. I urge you to think more before you spread unneccessary cynicism. obviously you didn't like the work, that does not mean, however, you are in any position to judge it. And after looking at your novel, I would stick to flying planes. At least in that occupation you haven't crashed and burned like the piece you've submitted here. Good Day. " -- Dan R, Rockville, Md.
"Dan, You have confused me with this last reviewer named "Bennett." Sorry that you did not like my work, but it was not I who gave you that last review. Although I do not fly planes, I will make every attempt to not "crash and burn." Good luck finding the real "Bennett" who deserves to be thrashed by you. " -- R. Bennett.
"Dan R. is just jealous. Your work is written very clearly and allows the reader to develope a mental image that puts them at a table in that very restaurant and allows them to see the entire event, not only through your eyes, but through their own as well. Well done!" -- Tara.
"Very well written work. In fact, the entire Downtown series is well written. I enjoyed reading your work and look forward to the next portion of the series. " -- Ivan.
"What a transparent cock-sucker that Dan R. is. Hey, he's not our cousin it? I'm still looking for your novel! We got to go out for dinner. The pissing scene it reminds me of a time..." -- olef ransom saulles.
"I recall the infamous pissing on the bridge in NYC incident. It's unfortunate that those cars below weren't ready for a golden shower." -- R. Bennett.
"I wonder if Manhattan is ready for my return? " -- R. Bennett.
"I don't know about Manhattan, but I know that Detroit is ready for your return. You belong there." -- JM.
"Thanks JM, but I never left. I still live in the largest suburb of Detroit and I work in Detroit. The Manhattan references are personal. You wouldn't understand." -- R. Bennett.
"I enjoyed this piece alot, having never been to Downtown Detroit, it gave a real feel for what it must be like! Excellent work and a solid Ten,,,Looking forward to reading more from you as time permits." -- Monte, USA.
"Thanks Monte. Detroit is a lot nicer than it's reputation. You should visit the city sometime. You'll be surprised." -- R. Bennett.
"Thought I'd go back and review what I have read of your work ... I found this series to be visceral and immensely readable ... you are very talented, R. Bennett" -- Judith.
"This provokes a rather disturbing visual. Your other pieces in this series are much better. " -- Ms. Deelite.
"If this produced a rather disturbing visual then it did exactly what I intended it to do. The object of this piece is to put the reader there, in the restaurant, with me as I observed this happening. I'm glad it reached you in the way it was supposed to. " -- R. Bennett.
"Yo RB! I agree with Ms. Deelite. But if thats the way this piece was intended, then you've accomplished what you set out to do. Good work. By the way, thanks for the constructive critisism on Vampire Wedding. I always welcome it from you. Doc" -- david doc byron, vincennes, usa, ind.
"Thanks Doc. I would never post negative criticism. I like to try and help (even if some people with the initials T.L. don't like it!). Your work is always enlightening. " -- R. Bennett.


And Then You Wouldn't Want It Any Other Way by Omar Longoria (1)
"Cool. Edgy, but cool. Kind of rated X." -- Christy Mack.


Planar Void by Joey The Raven (2)
"Hey damn boy those are sweet ass lil poems. I really liked them i hope you get a nice girl someday." -- Nancy, South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States.
"Joey, I love all of the poems....Most of all, I love you so much also...." -- Mindy Bourgeois, St. Amant, Louisiana.


Weeping Willows by Randy Guess (2)
"hmm well it was sad but a liitle odd. I did'nt really get the feeling that his brother was all that upset." -- niki.
"Yes, sad ... odd, maybe ... not all suicides are filled with anguish ... some are just weary, and not really meant for this world." -- judi, US.


November Vibe by Rob Parrish (1)
"Pretty cool... nice word usage... I noticed the word 'comfartable'.... ^_^ nice work man, do it again i'll check it out" -- Kimberly De Liz.


Infinity Of Evil And Others by Steven K Mitchell (2)
"They're all pretty damned interesting, actually. ^_^ The first kinda starts out with a scary haiku vibe, then all of a sudden it's a Donovan B'Jore/Edger Allen mix... interesting.... nice work man" -- Kim D.
"Thank you Kim, your kind words are much appreciated. My new sci-fi/horror novel "The Return of Poe" is available now at http://www.eBooks2Go.com and there is lots of free fiction and poetry, as well as two writing contests at my message board http://pub31.ezboard.com/bmoonvisions Steve Mitchell" -- Steven K Mitchell.


He Knocked The Budgie Over by Joe Gallivan (1)
"When I saw the title, I was all 'what the f is a budgie???' Luckily, my ma tumbles over, and tells me that that SAME question was on who wants to be a millionaire the other night!!.... (ma aint too smart)... and so, to ease my mother of her curiousity, she and I read your poem... and my over-energized mother is happy she knows what a budgie is. Thankyou. Eh hemm, anyway... I liked this poem, it's budgie packed, and the rhythm is on, (my congrats on that), and the wording is fabulous. I myself enjoyed the prospect of a six foot budgie, but while I ponder the scientific possibilities, I should go...great work, and keep it up!" -- Kimberly De Liz.


Dreams by Melloson Allen (1)
"Very dark, sad, but beautiful....a longing that hopefully, has been quenched by now. Lovely." -- Linda Elder, Southampton, Hampshire, UK.


Downtown: One Eye by R Bennett Okerstrom (4)
"All three of your "Downtown" stories are well-told and draw an engaging verbal picture of a few of the street people that can be found in any large city." -- Randy Guess, Houston, Tx, USA.
"I will be writing several more pieces on the homeless people of Detroit. I have two more finished and they will be entered here soon. Thank you for your review." -- R. Bennett.
"Excellent portrayal of the life of a vagabond in a city well known for its troubles. You have an uncanny ability to make things seem real. I applaud you on your ability to put the reader on the street with the subject of your work." -- Tori.
"Such insight ... amazing " -- Judith.


Downtown: Mr. O.D.C. Preacher by R Bennett Okerstrom (5)
"Your descriptive powers have once again enchanted me. You write with such power that I can visualize being on the street engulfed in the shadow of the building itself. Bravo! " -- Ivan.
"Fucking right on bra." -- Jarvis Payson.
"From one topic to the next, you have quite the imagination." -- Talon.
"You don't need much of an imagination to write what you see with your own two eyes. It's the translation of my words that lead to your own imaginative thoughts." -- R. Bennett.
"There used to be a street preacher on Tampa St. ... another mesmerizing piece, R. Bennett (:o)" -- Judith.


Downtown: Do You Have A Quarter? by R Bennett Okerstrom (9)
"Excellent description. Very good development and focus." -- Steven, Tonawonda, NY.
"She still has never given me a quarter after all of these years!" -- R. Bennett.
"I was in the mood for another Downtown Detroit piece tonight and once again you impressed me with your work! You haven't disappointed me yet. I am beggining to feel that I already know this town I have never been in! Keep enlightening us with your insights. I am sure you have a hundred more Detroit stories in your head and maybe even thousands more in your heart! Thanks for posting this piece, I will get to the others as time permits. " -- Monte, USA.
"I agree with Monte ... I would very much enjoy reading more, getting a feel for "your" city ..." -- Judith .
"excellent story! im jealous, youre good. especially liked the ending....personally i give to people down on their luck, try to avoid pro's though." -- sunny, DC, usa.
"Thank you Sunny. I would never refer to them as "down on their luck." Luck has nothing to do with it." -- R. Bennett .
"I work downtown, so I see this woman on a regular basis. I thought you might be interested to know that she now wants a dollar." -- JM.
"Brilliant!" -- Shelly, Cincinnati, Ohio.
"Thanks!" -- R. Bennett.


New Beginning by R Bennett Okerstrom (6)
"This made me feel very warm inside. If only all of us could rebound the way you do in the poetry." -- Sharon.
"Hmmmph. Warm inside? I am the serpent!" -- G..
"The serpent? That's unfortunate!" -- R. Bennett.
"The human heart is a strange, strange thing. Even in my cynicism, I understand completely the joy of renewed hope." -- Mistina.
"I believe that this is one of my favorites of your works. The words provided me with great and intense imagery. Believe in yourself and the poems may seem to write themselves. Good Luck!" -- Ashley.
"Yes, they do seem to write themselves." -- R. Bennett.


Nothing by R Bennett Okerstrom (13)
"Indifference can be a frightening muse and state of mind...you reflect it well in this piece. This is artful, with a semantic structure to complement its purpose. Very capturing subject matter indeed. " -- Cole D. Wilmot, Amherst, MA, USA.
"Cole has beat me to the asshole. Nothing really draws me in." -- Frank.
"Sometimes having nothing is better than having the world." -- R. Bennett.
"Yes, R. Bennett ... if you have nothing, there is nothing left to lose ... It's amazing how this rings true for me as so many of your poems seem to do ... keep writing, your work is good therapy ..." -- Judith.
"I'm glad you like them. If you need therapy you better stay away from my Unbridled Fury series..." -- R. Bennett Okerstrom.
"Oh, but I can't ... they draw me in like so many of your other works ..." -- Judith .
"As long as they don't put you into some kind of psychosis...." -- R. Bennett.
"Hynotic trance, maybe ..." -- Judith.
"Keep your chin up Judith. I'm sure you have more than nothing." -- R. Bennett.
"I never thought that nothing could be so much. Another job well done!" -- The Reviewer.
"judith says it all... i agree with you in sometimes to have nothing is better than having the world...but to not have any form of love? " -- kat, Aust..
"Nothing to wrong, nothing to write, nothing to left, nothing to right. Yeah--I liked it, but then we have similiar styles." -- Mia Angello, WI.
"Thanks Kat and Mia!" -- R. Bennett.


'twas The Night Before X-Mas 2k by Mason Cole (3)
"I really liked the poem. I'm a christian too. I like that someone else really put some thought about christmas cause not alot of people would." -- Nancy, South Saint Paul, Minnesota, United States.
"very nicely done. I like it a lot dude. Thanks!" -- Kevin Galloway, Oklahoma City , OKlahoma.
"I love your work, Mason. I don't know if you remember me, but we went to school together (you know me from being Allison's Roommate). I give you props for continuting to write and display what we all feel into words and beauty. Good work for you and I hope you get your PhD someday." -- Cathy McClain, Weatherford, OK, USA.


War Chess by Mason Cole (1)
"Did the devil go down to Georgia, Mr. Cole? Work on the title and you'll have a nice lil ditty." -- Jeffrey Michael Keeling, Norman, OK, USA.


Us by R Bennett Okerstrom (7)
"With each piece of your work, I feel enlightened. You cover such a wide range of topics. You are a true artist. I can agree with your views on the destruction of our planet and hope that one day everyone can see what is happening around them as clear as you do. Another masterpiece..." -- Tori.
"Awesome work! I cant help but be drawn to keep reading you works! " -- Jessica.
"Thanks for the compliments. I am glad to see people like some of this work this much. I enjoy reading the reviews." -- R. Bennett.
"Very creative...you are so talented! " -- Michelle.
"Recently I had a dream about a solemn dove; if the words flow, a poem will soon describe it. I like the way you move from all, few, none, some,most, each. Few have none, all have most, each has some. What do you think?" -- Mia Angello, WI.
"Been going through your poems again, re-reading, absorbing, and very much appreciating you ... you are an amazing talent, R Bennett" -- Judith.
"You are all far too kind. I appreciate it and hope to one day publish some of this. You guys give me a lot of support and if I do get around to publishing, it will be because of you!! Thanks!" -- R. Bennett .


The Stars by Mason Cole (3)
"And Mason Cole singlehandedly throws us back a thousand years and has us worshipping stars...smooth move, Cole." -- Tyrant.
"And Tyrant reveals that he has little idea what this poem is about...or doesn't care to think about it. I am using the stars to bring out what's right and wrong with man, not 'worshipping' them for what they are." -- Mason Cole, Moore, OK, USA.
"Hello Mason, came across your message. I felt this to be a good metaphor and/or analogy. It reminds me of a question in Statistics: We can fly men to the moon but we cannot adequately deal with poverty, why? I see this poem as an attempt at an answer and agree with much of your thinking. As far as the literature, keep reading and writing - decide for yourself which is important and when." -- olef ransom saulles.


The Eyes Of God by Janae D Anthony (11)
"Wonderfully inspiring. Keep it up!" -- Crazy Clown.
"You better watch out You better not cry Better not pout I'm telling you why Santa Claus is coming to town He's making a list And checking it twice; Gonna find out Who's naughty and nice Santa Claus is coming to town He sees you when you're sleeping He knows when you're awake He knows if you've been bad or good So be good for goodness sake! O! You better watch out! You better not cry Better not pout I'm telling you why Santa Claus is coming to town Santa Claus is coming to town " -- Tyrant.
"Very good tyrant, I see your point, but I don't believe in Santa Clause, do you?... but thank you for your review." -- author.
"I agree with Tyrant! I just didnt want to admit I actually made that connection! That poem disturbs me more than anything!" -- Meg.
"Oh goodness....excuse all the exclamation points...dont mean to be too excited." -- Meg.
"Meg, if this poem disturbed you then I know that it has gotten to you, I agnored the exclamination points, but I truly appreciate your comments. Thank!!" -- Author.
"Not to be rude, but dont compliment yourself so quickly. I said it was disturbing because evidently you find it a good thing to believe that God is watching you...like "Santa" as Tyrant said...As if he is just waiting for you to screw up. You can believe it "affected" me if you like, but I basically viewed it with dismay and dislike. " -- Meg.
"Meg, once again I thank you for your review, and you are entitled, ( just as Tyrant and everyone else who view my work) to your own opinions. I'm glad God is watching me, not just to see when I screw up, He sees me when I'm sick and heals me, He sees me when I'm broke and feeds me, He sees me when I'm down and comforts me. Besides it sure beats the hell out of Santa Clause" -- Author.
"Well the way I see it, the Church beats the "hell" out of anything and anyone. Pun intended. (Certainly not in support of the Church, for those of you who dont catch on as quickly.) Sorry to take up your review space but I felt the need to comment." -- Meg.
"If what you wrote was an expression of what was truly in your heart, then thats all that really matters, the author of this universe will undoubtedly applaud you, as do I. The expression of faith in poetry has always angered agnostics, atheist and most critics. Don't be discouraged by negative people." -- Monte.
"Monte, I am most grateful for you kind review" -- author.


There are 27 title entries with reviews on this page.


Go to page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163
 

Copyright © 1998-2001 Storymania Technologies Limited. All Rights Reserved.