www.storymania.com
Storymania Logo

 

 

Short Stories - Reviews




Short Stories Reviews
Poetry - Reviews
Novels - Reviews
Plays - Reviews
Screenplays - Reviews
Songs - Reviews
Non-Fiction - Reviews
Essays - Reviews
Foreign - Reviews
Reference - Reviews
Children - Reviews
Genres - Reviews

The Rivals by Michael Harris (1)
"Well-written piece that kept you wanting to read more; the comical aspects added a more entertaining aspects to the piece and made it all the more worthwhile and an attention grabber!" -- Miss Shanee Faith , East Lansing, MI, USA.


Aletha by Randall Barfield (1)
"Love your works!" -- Birdie.


The Loan by Jack Linton (1)
"Intriguing, suspenseful! Awesome ending! Mr. Linton is a talented author!" -- Susie Jordan, Hattiesburg, MS, US.


Yonder Ridge by Ramon Collins (5)
" I could smell that woodsmoke mingled with sage in the setting sun and when Billy shot off that round, I nearly jumped out of my skin. Mr. Collins storytelling is clear, concise and above all--entertaining. He hooks us in and doesn't let us go until he's ready to throw us back. Two thumbs up for Mr. Collins!" -- MaryW, Seattle, WA.
"Well, pard, it's got the feel of the ol' west. It's the kinna tale I'd be partial ta nailin' up on the wall at my den. Now hold on here a second - I already done that. My memory must be about plumb gone. It's whut I gets frum not usin' it. Say, do ya eally need that 'who' in this sentence? " ...up the bank toward a cowhand who hunkered down by an open fire." And then, do you really need a open space between these two? Seems to me, "Believe you me," should follow ...and leaned forward. Same fella talkin' - hardly a long breath in between that last sentence and the first. All of it in one paragraph - like below? Reynolds hooked a boot in his stirrup. �By gawd, we�ll be back with the Cattlemens� Association.� He settled down with a saddle squeak and leaned forward. �Believe you me, they ain�t gonna take kindly to you fencin� off open range.� Other than that, all your stories aughta be in print! " -- david coyote, San Diego, CA, USA.
"Ray Collins always writes so well, you think you're sitting right in with the folks he's talking about. I almost got sand in my eyes from the gun shots. " -- Maureen, Renton, WA, USA.
"Ray Collins' story telling is right up there with Will Rogers and O.Henry. The best thing about that is, Ray is still writing and telling great tales. " -- Sara Weber, Boulder City, NV, USA.
"I really like Ray's writing. This story has a lot of depth and illustrates a time gone by without being contrived or overly familiar. It's also hard to get western vernacular just right but Ray has a good ear for pronunciation and cadence and does a nice job converting speech to written words here. " -- Kerry, Seattle, WA.


Will It Ever Stop Raining? by Neil Southern (3)
"Different but I kind of liked it. Similar to my "Asleep at Last" - check it out. " -- Richard.
"For some reason as the difficult was 'washed ' away so too went the enjoyment of the poem. Strange that. CG" -- CG, Faringdon, UK.
"Like the flooding in a third world country." -- Jahri, Jamaica.


Whispers On The Wind. Hopes Quest by Jessi (1)
"Could do with a tiny bit of editing methinks, but has the potential to grow into a legendary fantasty..I hope to see more of this." -- T J Rintoull, Gold Coast, Australia.


The Way Things Are by Corey Moon (4)
"I think this is excellent. Keep writing these kinds of things." -- Barfield.
"interesting" -- hanan.
"Corey, I enjoy reading your writing and seeing another side of you. I wish I could wave a magic wand and say that everything will turn out for the best, be an optimist like I portray most days, but I can honestly say that no one really knows our future. I believe things happen for a reason. Good or bad, life is changed by unexpected people and events. I believe that God, the only person that has true control of people's destiny, had brought you into my life for a reason. You are a flamboyant person with so much to offer the world; you just have yet been inspired to initiate it. I can agree to almost everything you write here. I want to make a difference, be a hero to people (children someday), but the road through life is foggy and dusty. We trip, fall, and hopefully get back up. I feel as though I am rambling but it's late and the coffee hasn't set in. We should talk more. I love reading your writing. " -- Jalah Reid, Portland, OR, USA.
"I'm sure this piece you've written is sincere and it does take some courage to reveal these things about yourself. You have some real insecurity issues and I don't think this site is the best place for you to share them. You have a lot of the same desires we all have; to be somebody or at least achieve some degree of success, to marry a beautiful girl and have children, etc. etc. Unless you want to continue being miserable, start over and set your sights a little lower. Continue your education, get a job, and most importantly, learn to like yourself. If you don't like yourself, how can you expect anyone else to? Good luck. " -- Richard.


The Wasp by Antoine Louis (1)
"Very Funny. Nice writing style as well. Practice writing more." -- Jeffrey Dahmer.


Take Care by Matt Lenox (2)
"It's all so sickening!to say the least." -- Duke.
"This story was amazing. I loved the twist ending " -- Stephen, New York, NY, USA.


Soliloque by Abhijit Sarma Barua (1)
"I found it very good and interesting story" -- abhigyan, Guwahati, Assam, India.


Return To The Wild by Matt Lenox (1)
"Kind of a clever way to say "How would you like it if someone did it to you."" -- Nick.


Reasons To Be Beautiful by Reed Alexander (2)
"WOW...absolutely incredible writing! I loved this!" -- km.
"Amazing writing" -- Devin Benson, Portland, Or, Usa.


Rainbow -Between The Storm And The Sunshine by Jessi (1)
"~lol~ just incase you were wondering there is more. i didnt want to post the whole thing up.. :)" -- Jessi.


No Child Left Behind by Matt Lenox (1)
"This was so disgusting! Its like a sicker version of the tell tale heart " -- Paul.


Near Miss by Sally Chase (1)
"A little sloppy in the punctuation and grammar area. You ought to try using paragraphs, they really help. I don't understand why you would you post something that's unfinished? You wouldn't submit an incomplete manuscript to a publisher, would you?" -- Richard.


Nathan's Last Call by Jake A Potter (1)
"Wow this is really good. I love to write but even i cant do this much wonderfulness. My favorite thing about it is well the circumstances that hes in." -- Spencer A Morin.


Charlie's Monkeys by Sara E Johnson (3)
"I haven't been able to fathom a thing about your monkey business. I'd like to believe you suffered a bad dream. Be careful what you buy when you are out on shopping the next time around. Good Luck!" -- Duke.
"Ok, I see some of y'all been drinkin' your haterade. For you haters of a writer who thinks of crazy things and turns them into a story. This story shouldn't be that hard to understand. The guy bought 200 monkeys they died and he couldn't get rid of them so he gave them out as gifts. This was not something I dreamed of. I just had a thought one day. So, any positive feedback would be pleasant :o) " -- sara.
"I read the story, then I read your response to Duke's review. The most revealing sentence in your response is the second last one: "I just had a thought one day." My advise is to be more selective in choosing the thoughts you write about. On the other hand, you probably shouldn't write about any of them. " -- Richard.


Alexi's Fine Exquisite Meals by Matt Lenox (1)
"This sounded like it could almost be real!" -- John.


The White Asteroid by Michael Potter (3)
"OOOh, what a neat tale! I like this story very much! my only criticism is that the last line is a little hard to understand... Perhaps something to the effect of "... and before they were five miles away they could see an outline of an enormous skull, and the lower jaw, from which they had risen." Still, the overall presentation was very nice! Keep writing! " -- Halle, Oregon.
"this is a surreal tale and I enjoyed it. To make the enjoyment better for the reader you might consider adding in those pieces of dialogue, the ones that tell us in words what is happening.Try using a piece of action folowed by dialogue and then action. That sort of thing. Also be specially careful of saing things twice. Make an attempt to combine details of two sentences within one sentence. When tension arises because of drama then keep everything short, down to a few words. Keep writing. CG" -- Cleveland W. Gibson, FARINGDON, OXON, ENGLAND.
"Is that all????" -- Matt.


Worlds Apart by Gregory Novak (1)
"good" -- Arren Knight, San fernando, Pampanga, Philippines.


The Summer by Bk Kinsel (1)
"Defiantly the best work I've read in a while. I hope I can read the whole story. Wonderful Work! " -- Ben, USA.


The Monsterboys by Jimmy Mason (2)
"This hangs on my wall check out 2 m'in 36 sec.. Great writing bra. Matthew Mark@" -- Matthew Mark, USA.
"I enjoyed reading your story, but honestly, i was abit disapointed. it's a good story, but with some work, it could be alot better. allow me to elaborate: 1) the main problem with your story is that too many things happen too quickly. you need to add alot more details, not into the characters, but into the story itself. there needs to be some "minor action" in between the main points of your story. 2) your dialogue needs work. it doesnt...feel right, what some of the characters say. sounds abit forced, or overthought. 3) grammatical errors stick out like a sore thumb and take away from the power of a story. 4) try to think of new things. "breathe new life into old stories." since you decided to write about something that has been used countless times, you need to add some twists and turns..be unconventional. Ex. Christ being a vampire. Bravo! very original. so, rewrite and repost and hopefully (if i have time) i will reread. P.S. if you decide to read something of mine, please only read The Cat and the Shotgun, or Reverend Mattew. i just rewrote those and posted them a few days ago. my other stories need alot of work..." -- Bryan King.


The Little Ketchup Incident by Brandon D Christopher (1)
"Cute story. Good eye for detail. Would like to see you go further with it, tho. Give more dimensions and depth to the people but keep the humor, maybe even go further with the comedy. Good start, dude." -- raykay.


The Cat And The Shotgun by Bryan King (3)
"You say this is good? I think you are the crazy man. (1) Weak grammar and punctuation usage. (2) A copycat story line that is not only unoriginal but also quite juvenile. (3) A waste of my valuable time reading it. Therefore, I won't read anything else you've posted because I suspect I will find much of the same. Thank you and goodnight. " -- Richard.
"Well, thanks for your opinion." -- Author.
"I would say that for you being only 14, it does show promise. I don't know what story you copied, but then again I'm not as well read as I'd like. One of the things that I used to do when I first got here was pull up my stories on the computer that were in the same genres that I preferredand compare the differences between styles and whatnot, how their stories flowed and differed from mine, and just generally looking to improve my craft for the better. I think you'd find it a nice experiment. I also write horror by the way. There's not a lot to comment on in this installment, no backstories being presented, there's no indication of why the man is crazy, etc, etc. So I'll continue reading the series to see where it goes, but I'd say from what I've read you have a better command than most 14 year olds." -- Michael Harris, Detroit, MI.


Searching For Hope by Jessi (3)
"I had the same problem when my spell check did not work, boy did it bring in bad remarks ect. However, just a bit of good advice - when it starts working again just copy and paste back into word, correct and post back. " -- Amy, Hayes, UK.
"I had the same problem when my spell check did not work, boy did it bring in bad remarks ect. However, just a bit of good advice - when it starts working again just copy and paste back into word, correct and post back. " -- Amy, Hayes, UK.
"Ps. Overall , enjoyed reading this peice." -- Amy, Hayes, UK.


Narcissistic Fairy Folk by Jimmy Mason (4)
"Interesting story of deceit. Well detailed descriptions." -- Shannon.
"Good story of human nature, even if it wasnt told with humans as the main characters. Nice detail of surroundings." -- Jameson, Oak Ridge, TN.
"Very good! Moral of the story: just because you want something to be true, doesn't mean it is?" -- Candy Rhodes.
"Wow! Very nice! What an interesting story... I wouldn't of guessed the ending! One word of caution; there were a couple of gramatical errors, try to be careful, they tend to take away from the story. Also, try to develop the Charles character more. Still, a very good story." -- Halle, OR.


Judgment Day In Eden Hills by Jimmy Mason (1)
"This is great! I couldn't have stopped before the end if the hpuse had been on fire!" -- Candy.


It's About Time by Liilia Morrison (2)
"awesome" -- Matthew Mark, USA.
"Yes, I agree." -- Barfield.


I Think You'd Like Her by Gregory Novak (2)
"Wonderful...I couldnt stop reading. Greg you really need to go further than this site you know. You are a brilliant writer. Maybe someday you will write a novel....and I will buy it!" -- Jennifer Dreja.
"You could probably tweak this a little to improve sentence structure, etc. Overall, a really fine effort, sentimental and true to life. I also like the way you maintain a delicate balance in giving the reader enough information, but not too much. Finally, a poignant reminder to women who view most men as mechanical beings that we are equally capable of love and fidelity. " -- Richard.


I Had Another Dream Last Night by Neil Southern (1)
"very good!" -- jose bryan taberos, iloilo, new lucena, phillipines.


Guitar Man by Brian J Hankins (1)
"read 2 m'in 36 sec.. I love this poem it's just wow." -- Matthew, USA.


Djinn by Jay Phillips (1)
"Trully amazing..i loved it." -- Bryan King.


Chain Reaction by Aamanrah (1)
"Very horrifying, but very well written." -- Chelsea.


Bloody Bones by Jay Phillips (2)
"another great story! i loved it! keep up the great work!" -- Bryan King.
"Hello, im only 14, but have recently got into story writing, i used to do it when i was little but not like this, they were just fairytales. I really liked your story and its given me some good ideas for mine, thanks a lot :D (when i mean good ideas i dont mean copied from your story). Mail me at Tanya3535 at hotmail.c.o.m. if you have any tips for storys, thanks :D" -- Tanya, Milton keynes, United Kingdom, England.


A Trip To Grandmothers House by Brian J Hankins (2)
"This reminds me of Heckel and jeckel as that cartoon was a classic and so is this " -- Matthew Mark@, USA.
"Enjoyed the read, the title drew me in as it bought back memories of when we visited my Grandmother, before she saw us for the last time before we emigrated. That moment of time is embedded in my heart from my childhood days - and they were wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing and liviling up my own memory." -- Amy, Hayes, UK.


20 Dollars To Fear by Jimmy Mason (3)
"I thought this story was very well written, but a little too short. Why was the creature there? Why did it leave? But i still enjoyed it immensely" -- Candy Rhodes.
"I want you to know I plan on using the quote, "Now shut up and eat your peanuts" often and for a long time. I really enjoy the non-typical end. " -- Jayme, Shelby, NC.
"This is a good story I think. It's imaginative and diffrent." -- Shamus, none ya.


There are 36 title entries with reviews on this page.


Go to page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
 

Copyright © 1998-2001 Storymania Technologies Limited. All Rights Reserved.