www.storymania.com
Storymania Logo

 

 

Short Stories - Reviews




Short Stories Reviews
Poetry - Reviews
Novels - Reviews
Plays - Reviews
Screenplays - Reviews
Songs - Reviews
Non-Fiction - Reviews
Essays - Reviews
Foreign - Reviews
Reference - Reviews
Children - Reviews
Genres - Reviews

Her Mother's Madness. by Terry Collett (1)
"Great job!" -- Peak, USA.


I Bid You Adieu And Fuck You! by Emory L Griffin (6)
"WOW! That was kinda mean don�t you think? Alas, I admit I do understand about the ugly comments�I�ve had a few. I think constructive is the key word in reviewing. I do think this was well written, visuals were well applied. But to quote one line of this story��He crushes no one's dreams, in fact he only fuels the flame that burn in some young writers to write more and better stories.��perhaps that is the goal after all.But I, like Richard and others have been here a long time, and there have been many greats�I have a few suggested readings if you�d care to give them a read�two last words�keep writing!!" -- Mattie.
"I admit it was slightly exaggerated, but to be completely honest I have rather enjoyed my verbal sparring matches with Richard. I do believe he is a crabby old ass, but I think he enjoys the rage he ignites. I would love to hear your suggestions. " -- Emory Griffin, Georgia , U.S.A.
"One of my favorite writers who still has her postings here was Judith Goff. Sadly she passed away several years ago...but her muses were awesome...in my opinion anyway. R Bennett Okerstrom has some great postings as well, Just A Guy had some pretty funny stuff too...the list is long. Of course these are mostly poetry that�s more my thing I guess...give a look and tell me what you think." -- Mattie.
"OK, You know I couldn't resist responding to yet another feeble attempt at writing by you. First of all, your perception of me is not even close. I don't sit alone in my house (which I own) eating cold dinners and I never post my reviews from my home computer but instead, use my office computer. Most of my friends don't even know I waste some of my valuable time reading pathetic attempts at writing like yours. Also, I never dwell upon my past behavior and have little time to feel sorry for myself.(And no reason to) What regrets I do have certainly don't include any of the reviews I've written about your work or anyone else's for that matter. As to this piece you've written, My comments which seem negative to you and others are, on the contrary, honest and accurate and hardly unwarranted. If you think my vocabulary consists of a "vast collection of big words," then you haven't read enough. Others encourage you to keep writing. I encourage you to read more and write less for now. You and other writers I've cricized, may think I'm mostly negative but it bugs me to read anything that is flawed with misspelling, poor grammar and punctuation, not to mention poor diction (choice of words). These mistakes distract the reader and disrupt his mood, causing him to lose interest in what could possibly be a good story line. For example, you write in your third paragraph,..."aiming for an air of superiority and CONDENSATION"... Condensation as in water vapor? I'm sure you were thinking of condescending or condescention but it's up to you to review and edit your own work yourself before posting or submitting it. Second paragraph, last sentence, ..."he thinks of all the kid's writings" You said all the kids, which is plural so you needed KIDS' not kids. You may say this is minor and kind of nitpicky, but to me it stands out like a sore thumb. Then you throw in "newfangled" to describe his computer, a word often attributed to a country bumpkin. Like this guy doesn't know what "state of the arts" means. How corny and stupid is that? Again in the second last paragraph you say,"everyone sees through this little ploy". Ploy to do what? Crush these writers' dreams? Dead wrong Emory! I really am trying to help these writers by telling them to stop skipping over writing 101 and jumping into writing 400 when they aren't ready. Finally, "Spewing his venom of constructive criticism." To you Emory, truth and honesty must also seem venomous. Then you close it off by having a "large hooded figure" enter this room. Now that's really original! Since you describe him (me) as being so old and decrepid, you could've just had him suffer a heart attack, while his life of cruelty and insensitivity flashed before him. Overall, not one of your better efforts. "Sorry Charlie, only the finest Tuna get to be Starkist." " -- THE REAL RICHARD.
" I'm relatively new to this site but I've had a chance to read quite a few of the stories and poetry presented here. I'm currently employed as a technical editor for a science magazine but I've always been interested in fiction writing and am currently working on a novel which I someday hope to get published. I browsed through the Advisor section and noticed the comments made by Emory Griffin, responding to Richard's apparent farewell address. His farewell was obviously a bit premature as I later stumbled across this story by Mr. Griffin dedicated to Richard and of course, there was Richard's review. I don't blame Richard for his criticism of this story and his points are well taken. He didn't even mention Griffin's classless title to the story. Stooping to this kind of vulgarity is not clever and only calls attention to the writer's immaturity. I agree that reviewers should not have to "edit" these stories. Reviewers should be able to focus on the plot or story line as well as pace and character development, framed within a good beginning and ending, instead of cleaning up technical mistakes as I do for a living. There are two basic reasons for technical errors such as incorrect spelling, poor grammar and punctuation, etc. The worst of the two is the unawareness or ignorance of the writer because this is usually an educational deficiency which could take a long time to correct. The other reason is carelessness or negligence; usually the result of not taking enough time to edit one's work. We are all human and despite tools like "Spellcheck" and other aids, the English language is so full of idioms and synonyms, it is impossible to rely on mechanical software to guarantee infallibility. For example, despite Richard's well written review, even this master critic who emphasizes spelling and grammar, has misspelled the word "decrepit." I think Richard was probably aware of this immediately after posting the review. There is no short cut to good writing. Even among the most unorthodox artists, writers, and musicians, there is an established, rudimentary body of knowledge. The great ones never lose this knowledge. Others never had it to lose. Despite the imperfections among most amateur writers, I do enjoy reading on this site and maybe I'll try posting something someday as well. " -- Merideth.
"Emory, Take heed! There's some good stuff in those last two reviews. I don't see any response from you so I guess they must have hit home. " -- A Member of the grammar police.


What I Learned As A Kid by Justin Gar (1)
"wow, I like how didn't feel normal. " -- Jeanette, Spring Hill, FL.


Its Self Explainatory by Lost Pieces (1)
"This makes me sad...I hope you find refuge in writing. I remember 14, I was raped by a family member, watched my father die, and I lived...because I would be damned if I would let anything make me less than what I was...I am married have kids and grand kids now...hang in there little one...it gets better." -- Mattie.


Gobbledygook by Hasan Zahid (1)
"A story of harsh reality and romance." -- Saif Ali Khan, Dhaka, Dhaka, Bangladesh.


Obsidian by Veraelaine Louch (1)
"Where is the story? I know I typed it, but it isn't showing up. Why?" -- vera louch, St. Louis, MO, USA.


The Monkey's View. by Spencer A Morin (3)
"This is a story I wrote when I was bored and asked someone what I should do. They said "write". So I wrote this story from a stuffed animal's point of view in the classroom." -- Spencer A Morin.
"LOVE THE TITLE,AND I ALSO LOVE MONKEYS." -- LOU.
"Comment if u want me to write another story about this monkey" -- Spencer A Morin.


The Worst Story Ever by Spencer A Morin (1)
"SPENS I AM WITH U ON THAT ONE." -- LOU.


Uh Oh! by Jackson (1)
"This is amazing. It's full of a certain sadness that is present but does not drown the story. This seems to be turning into a thrilling mystery and I can't wait to take the ride. Oh but one thing--in a few places, you changed from past tense to present and then back again. I know some authors do this so I understand if that is how you write, but if it's not, then I just thought I should let you know. haha sorry if this review is long but I do enjoy this story!" -- Moonstar.


The Twist Part 1 by Spencer A Morin (1)
" LOVE IT! " -- LOU.


Nature Walkers by Spencer A Morin (2)
"It seems just pleasent! Review if you like it or not. Or if you have any suggestions to change in it." -- Spencer Morin.
"I THINK U SHOULD GET ALOT ONE THIS ONE IT IS SWEET SPENS IT IS ALSO COOL..........AWSOME ,LOVEABLE. " -- LOU.


Foot - Bomb by Spencer A Morin (1)
"i think it is cool and awsome u should write more about sports or u should write one about me on my horse and how i rodeo. spens " -- LOU.


The Entrance Exam by Vishal Arora (1)
"awesome story ......it tells about ones condition in these situations.........very handsome use of vocabulary words......." -- varun, india, delhi, india.


There are 13 title entries with reviews on this page.


Go to page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
 

Copyright © 1998-2001 Storymania Technologies Limited. All Rights Reserved.