When Decisions Backfire (1)
Winson Thai

 

FADE IN:

INT. FASHION STUDIO DRESSING ROOM - DAY

Model BETHANY GINZBURG (29, white, strong, thick, egoistic, tall) stands in front of a full-size mirror with two dresses and puts them in front of her one after the other. She looks at her reflection, frowns for the first dress and smiles for the second. Her manager, ZACH (56, pale, toned), enters with a pet parrot HENRI on one hand and duffel bag on the other.

ZACH: Hey Beth can you do me a... (Seeing what Beth is doing) Oh I'm sorry, should we talk later?

BETHANY: No we can talk now Mr. Quinlan.

Beth points to a nearby sofa. Zach sits on it. She hangs the dresses on hangers in a clothing rack and sits next to Zach.

BETHANY (CONT'D): So what's up? Who is your friend?

ZACH: Beth, I'd like you to meet Henri.

HENRI: Awk Henri is a foxy bird foxy bird.

BETHANY: Aww, he's so beautiful.

ZACH: Yes now tomorrow, my wife Nan and I will go on our third honeymoon and I need someone to watch Henri until we return. Think you can handle it?

BETHANY: As long as he doesn't cause trouble to me and everyone who I live with.

ZACH: Who do you live with? It is many?

BETHANY: Yeah, my fiance, two of our close friends, one of their girlfriends, her sister, and two little girls.

Henri shakes his head as Beth brushes his wings and smiles.

ZACH: Oh, that may be a problem. I should ask someone else to look after him.

He turns away from Beth on the sofa, but she grabs his arm.

BETHANY: It is fine. Everyone there is nice.

ZACH: Have you ever had a pet? Caring for one is a lot of work. I'm unsure if you can handle it for two weeks, as you spend a lot of time rehearsing.

BETHANY: Yeah, but I've wondered what having a bird is like after a visit to the Bronx Zoo a month ago, Mr. Quinlan.

ZACH: Okay you can call me "Zach." I hope the honeymoon's better than before.

BETHANY: Um okay, but don't worry. Henri and I will have fun while you are away.

ZACH: Okay everything you need is in this bag, his food, his toys, his books.

Beth takes a bag and takes out a picture book from inside.

BETHANY (Looking confused): What? He reads Zach?

ZACH: No, he likes to look at the photos.

Beth smiles awkwardly as Zach takes out a pizza slice toy.

ZACH (CONT'D): He has to be fed two to three times a day and will show he is hungry by pecking this toy. If he gets cranky or whiny, sing his favorite song to soothe him, "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy."

BETHANY: Now that is a good one sir!

She LAUGHS hysterically as Zach looks at her angrily.

ZACH: I'm not joking Beth.

BETHANY (Stopping laughing): I'll learn it immediately.

Zach gives Beth the pizza toy, gets off the sofa and leaves.

INT. LYNN'S FILM STUDIO OFFICE - LATER

LYNN RUAN (22, skinny, fragile, rookie) and PAOLA ORTIZ (25, caring, joyful) sit on chairs by a desk and face each other.

LYNN: So why you want to be in this film?

PAOLA (Flinging her hair): Deep down, I have always wanted to see my face on TV and the internet.

LYNN: Do you have any acting experience?

PAOLA: Um, I have never been in a big name production, but was in a commercial to promote the hospital I work for.

LYNN: I know and was impressed at the way you tried to convince people to go there if they must, but that is not enough to qualify for a movie to be shown on the web. Even if you are a good actor, I do not think there is a role in my movie that you can...

A loud jet-engine like SOUND is heard. Paola stands, runs to one of the windows, and looks up. Lynn looks annoyed at her.

LYNN (CONT'D): Paola there are no airplanes in the area. Will you sit down and focus?

Paola goes to the chair and sits on it as the sound FADES.

LYNN (CONT'D): Your family has a strange love for transportation. You enjoy watching planes fly, Shirley adores trains, and Felicia likes whatever is fast.

PAOLA (Chuckling): I have no clue why we're like that, but anyway what did you say before?

LYNN: I said I can't find a role for you.

FELICIA (28, tall, pale, feisty) comes in with four muffins, two half-eaten, and goes to Lynn and Paola, chewing on one.

FELICIA: Oh god these muffins are delicious!

PAOLA (Taking and eating a muffin): Oh wow, where did you get them?

FELICIA: At some meeting down the hall.

LYNN (Looking confused): What meeting? Wait why the heck are you even here Felicia? Aren't you a 12:00 meteorologist for CBS 2 News?

FELICIA: (Holding Paola's shoulder): My boss let me go after the morning show as a reward for my great work so far. I would have asked to take today's noon airing off anyway so I can see how terrific my baby sister can be in a film by an awesome guy.

LYNN: I appreciate those compliments, but there's no character Paola can play in my film. Sorry, I can't give her special treatment just for knowing and living with her. Acting's hard.

FELICIA (Looking upset): What? Who do you need in your film?

LYNN: The two girls in the film's central lesbian relationship are 11 and 15. Their moms have to be at least 30, as we do not want them to have kids when they were teens and Paola does not fit in either age group sadly.

The sisters look sad. JACOB (24, white, bearded, mean, lazy, tall, fit) BANGS on the glass door swiftly, scaring Felicia, Paola and Lynn. They look at him as he grins and walks away.

PAOLA: Is that who I think it is?

LYNN: Yes, sadly, that is Jacob Wilkins.

Paola CHOKES on her muffin as Felicia, chewing on hers, sits on the seat next to Paola and pats her back looking worried.

PAOLA: The Jacob Wilkins?!?!?!

LYNN: The Jacob Wilkins. Can you believe it? He is a screenwriter here now.

FELICIA: Uh, who is Jacob Wilkins?

PAOLA: A very bad creepazoid who tormented Lynn in school until eighth grade.

FELICIA: And how do you know him Paola?

PAOLA: He went to college with me bragging a lot about what he did as a child.

LYNN: I remember the time he and his gang locked me in a computer simulation.

PAOLA: And he would dump you in the school dumpster if you didn't do his work.

FELICIA: Wow, that is rough. Is that why you were such an asshole to Shirley and so many others back in high school?

LYNN: Well to be honest, yes.

FELICIA: So what will you do about this guy?

She chews on a muffin as Lynn shrugs. Paola looks worried.

LYNN: Nothing. I'll mind my own business if he minds his. I have zero chance of winning if we physically fight.

FELICIA: Just ask Beth to beat him for you.

LYNN: I don't want her to keep jumping in things that do not concern her. She wouldn't stand a chance against him anyway. He pulverized two aspiring basketball players when he was 13.

The sisters look at him with their eyes opened in surprise.

LYNN (CONT'D): Now as for my film, do you two have anything else that you want to say?

FELICIA: Do you have any other characters?

LYNN: Well, ten to twenty extras who will be the girls' classmates, but they also need to be around their ages.

FELICIA: Can you make a new character Paola can play, perhaps one of the girls' older sister, relative, or cousin?

PAOLA: Hey good idea. Please do that Lynn!

LYNN: Well, most of the script is already completed, so another character is not really needed, but I'll talk to the producers about the suggestion.

PAOLA (Cheering with Felicia): Oh thank you so much!!!

Lynn takes out a script from his drawer, giving it to Paola.

LYNN: I need to see your acting abilities in person, so practice this scene. Return when you think you can talk as Myst. We will read it together.

PAOLA: Awesome, I will read it right away.

LYNN: Great, take care for now!

The sisters nod and stand, then Felicia goes to the door.

PAOLA: Lynn you want me to stay in case...

LYNN (Shaking his head): No, it is okay, he is no big deal.

PAOLA: No big deal dude?! Besides bullying you, this idiot changed the nametag on your homeroom's jacket hook from "Faye Xin Ruan" to "Faggot Ruan!!!"

Felicia LAUGHS hysterically as Lynn and Paola look at her.

FELICIA: I am sorry, that was too funny!

LYNN: That was 14 years ago. I am sure he has matured a lot since and you got work tonight. Don't worry about me. Concentrate on your script, got it?

Felicia leaves SNICKERING as Lynn and Paola go to the opened door. She pats his arm, leaving. He swings the door, turning away from it, but holds it and looks at its nametag. He sees a sticky note with "GGOT" written on it taped over a portion of the tag so it now reads, "FAGGOT RUAN." He looks annoyed.

EXT. BROOKLYN HEIGHTS BROWNSTONE - NIGHT

Every window in the brownstone is lit and a man passes by.

INT. LIVING ROOM - SAME

SHIRLEY VASQUEZ (23, small, lazy, childish) sits on a couch. He holds a Nintendo 3DS and presses on its buttons fiercely.

SHIRLEY: No! No! No! Turn right dingus!

INNA DEVIN (1 1/2, blond hair) and ERIKA (3, long dark hair, Felicia's child) sit on the floor nearby playing with dolls.

INT. KITCHEN - SAME

Inna's mother CINDY (25, tall, white, toned, demanding) puts plates from the counter to the main table and hears Shirley.

SHIRLEY (O.S.): Take that! Take that and that!

Looking annoyed, Cindy walks to the door to the living room.

INT. LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS

Cindy stands by the door and looks at Shirley upsettingly.

CINDY: Shirley!!!

SHIRLEY: Ha-ha, mushroom power baby!!

CINDY: Shirley!!!!

SHIRLEY: In first place! Must keep it up!

Cindy angrily goes next to Shirley and YELLS into his ear.

CINDY: Shirley!!!!!!!!!!

SHIRLEY: What! What! What is going is on?

Cindy's yelling startles him. Inna and Erika look at them.

CINDY: Can you please go to the kitchen to help set dinner for Beth and Henri?

SHIRLEY: Can't you see I'm a bit busy here?

CINDY: What?! You're playing a video game! There's a lot to do before Beth and Henri are home, which will be soon.

SHIRLEY: Well I am sorry, but I cannot save the game until I finish this race.

He looks at his game console, pressing the buttons nonstop.

CINDY: Fine, but can you please come help me in there when you are finished?

SHIRLEY: Yes, I will. Stop distracting me!

Cindy turns toward the kitchen door as Shirley turns to her.

SHIRLEY (CONT'D): Uh, Cindy.

Cindy turns to Shirley smiling and looking optimistic.

SHIRLEY (CONT'D): Why do lightweight carts have great acceleration, but low top speed and heavyweight cars have very high top speed, but really bad acceleration?

Cindy angrily takes the game console from him and shuts it.

CINDY: Get your lazy butt to the kitchen!!

Cindy points to the kitchen door. Shirley SIGHS, gets up and goes through it. Cindy follows him, puts the game console in a drawer by the door and sees Inna and Erika looking at her.

CINDY (CONT'D): Everything is okay. Play with your dolls until I say it's dinnertime.

She goes through the door as Inna and Erika resume playing.

INT. KITCHEN - CONTINUOUS

Cindy enters to see Shirley looking at her impatiently.

CINDY: Place napkins by each of the plates on the table and hurry up since the dinner has to go totally perfect!!

Shirley takes out an opened napkin pack from a cabinet under the counter while Cindy takes five glass cups from an upper cabinet. She then grabs knives and forks from a cup atop the counter. The two go to the table and put those things on it.

SHIRLEY: Why you making a fuss out of this?

He and Cindy stand on opposite sides of the table.

CINDY: Well, Henri is our guest. My family taught me to always treat them with royalty, even if they are animals.

Shirley: Wait a minute, so what would you do if you had an unwanted guest in the house like a bug, rat, or burglar?

CINDY: I�d kill the bug, lure the rat out, and ask the robber to leave nicely.

SHIRLEY (Beat, looking confused): Man, you and your family are weird.

CINDY: Not as weird as your family's love for trains, planes, and fast stuff.

The oven under the counter makes a BING sound. Cindy grins.

CINDY: The food is done. Go get some soda and water out of the refrigerator.

Shirley takes from the refrigerator a two-liter soda bottle and large water pitcher and puts them on the counter. Cindy puts a hot glove on from there, squats by the oven and takes out a large container carrying a whole chicken and four side dishes. She puts it on the counter, where she takes a knife from its block. Shirley sniffs and goes to her in surprise.

SHIRLEY: Wow, that looks really good!

CINDY (Cutting the chicken): Um it should. I spent the afternoon making sure it was made perfectly.

SHIRLEY: Wow is that why you barely left the kitchen when Beth told you that she was bringing a parrot home tonight?

CINDY (Giggling at Shirley): Yes, I�m surprised you noticed that as you playing with your video game all day. Hey, put the dishes on the table. Wear gloves as they are hot!

Shirley puts on heat gloves from the counter, grabs two side dish bowls from the container and puts them on the table. He then does the same with the other two bowls. After finishing cutting the chicken, Cindy puts the knife on the block where she took it from and puts the container on the table center.

SHIRLEY: Are we done yet?

Cindy nods. The doorbell RINGS and she grins.

CINDY: Yes, and right in the nick of time.

They take off their gloves, put them on the table and leave.

INT. LIVING ROOM - CONTINUOUS

Cindy and Shirley stroll to the front door. She opens it and sees Beth carrying Henri, her purse, and Zach's duffel bag.

SHIRLEY: Hi there! How was work today Beth?

HENRI: Awk Henri is a foxy bird foxy bird.

BETHANY: Good, told you about Henri already. (Looking tired, sniffing) Hey, what is that amazing smell?

CINDY (Smiling with Shirley): After learning about your guest, I made a very special dinner for us!

BETHANY: Oh good, I am starving, but can you two help me with these heavy bags?

Cindy and Shirley each take one of Beth's bags. Shirley then takes Henri as Beth takes off her coat. He gives him back to her as the trio goes to a closet in the back and puts Beth's things inside. They go to Inna and Erika as Cindy lifts Inna up. Erika stands and looks eager and Shirley holds her hand.

CINDY: Dinnertime, sweetheart.

Beth takes the dolls off the floor, putting them in a nearby dresser. Everyone goes to the kitchen door. Cindy, being the last, hits a wall switch, carrying Inna. The light goes off.

INT. KITCHEN - CONTINUOUS

Everyone enters, stops at the table and Beth looks shocked.

BETHANY: Whoa Cindy, you did all this?

CINDY: Yes, I wanted to be extra sweet for Henri. With Lynn, Felicia and Paola out tonight, we don't have to worry about their concerns toward guests.

SHIRLEY: Come on, let's eat already!

Everyone sits at a seat by the table with Cindy holding Inna on her lap. She and Beth put chicken pieces on their plates.

CINDY: How do you feel about Henri, Beth?

She and Beth eat their chicken. The latter pours soda in her glass, then takes a bird seed bag out of her shirt's pocket.

BETHANY: Well it's only been a few hours, so I really have no opinion right now.

SHIRLEY: Why do you want to care for him?

BETHANY: My boss was looking for somebody to do that. I convinced him to let me by telling him I have always wanted to care for a bird after a visit to the Bronx Zoo. Oh my, this is good!

Shirley puts macaroni and cheese on his plate and eats it as everyone uses a knife and fork to cut their chicken pieces.

SHIRLEY: Yeah you're right, good job Cindy!

CINDY (Pouring water in her glass): Thank you, but wait a second. Beth, you've never been to the Bronx Zoo.

BETHANY: I know I lied.

Cindy and Shirley freeze and look at her in surprise.

BETHANY (CONT'D): Come on, everyone has lied at least once. The reason I wanted to watch him is his red and green colors all so remind me of my precious Duncan.

SHIRLEY: Oh your butt ugly garden gnome?

Beth slaps Shirley in the back of his head. He YELLS.

BETHANY: My family really cherished him and I had to bust my chops to convince them that we needed to let him go!

SHIRLEY: So can the parrot talk?

HENRI: Awk Henri is a foxy bird foxy bird.

BETHANY: That is all he has said so far, but Zach said he also likes to sing Rod Stewart's "Do You Think I'm Sexy."

CINDY: I would love to see him to do that, so do you think you can handle him?

She LAUGHS, feeding Inna. Erika puts cole slaw on her plate.

BETHANY: Sure, how hard can taking care of a small bird be? Just hope Henri will not annoy either of you in any way.

SHIRLEY: No, Cindy and I are anxious to have fun with him, though I am not sure about anybody else who lives here.

BETHANY: I will talk to them about this as I am sure we can work on a consensus. (Noticing the food crumbs) Oh, the table will be hard to clean and I must care for Henri tonight.

CINDY: It is all right. Shirley and I will clean up tonight. Beth, you just do what you got to do for your friend.

Shirley turns to Cindy opening his mouth. She glares at him.

CINDY (CONT'D): You have any issues with that?

Shirley looks hesitant and shakes his head. Cindy nods. Inna drinks from her glass. Everybody continues to eat and drink.

INT. LYNN'S OFFICE - DAY

Lynn and Paola stand face-to-face holding a piece of paper.

PAOLA (Reading with Lynn): Where are we going?

LYNN: We are going nowhere. That's where.

PAOLA: Are you driving over the edge?

LYNN: You wish. We are going to Whorrie Lorie's party. You might get lucky if someone is looking for trouble.

PAOLA: Come on, stop. This is our night.

LYNN: Call your mother. Tell her to fly over early if you can reach her.

PAOLA: Did I say I'd go? I never said it.

LYNN: You thought about it. Didn't you?

PAOLA: What is wrong with that if I did?

LYNN: If you don't know, there is nothing I can tell you. Hey good job Paola!

PAOLA (Looking eager): Thank you. Did ya listen to Felicia and created a new movie character?

She gives her paper to Lynn, who shakes his head unhappily.

LYNN: I tried, but the producers rejected my request as the script is already done. There is no time to rewrite.

Paola folds her arms and pouts her lips.

LYNN (CONT'D): But we've been unable to find good actresses for the mothers, so would you like to be one of them, Paola?

PAOLA: I would love to, but didn't you say that I was too young to play them?

LYNN: Yeah, but do you want to wear make up that'll make you look ten years older? This is done a lot in films.

PAOLA (Looking worried): Ooh I don't want to damage my skin.

LYNN (Looking annoyed): Hey, I have no time for that crap. Do you want to play a mom or not?

PAOLA: All right, all right, I will do it.

LYNN: Great, which mom do you want to be? Both are so strict, but the 15-year old's is supportive to her daughter while the 11-year-old's is defiant.

PAOLA: The 15-year-old's. I really do not see myself as a rebellious person.

LYNN: Good I'll tell my producers we have a new cast member and give you the script as soon as I can. Rehearsals will start after we find actors for the rest of the characters, got it?

PAOLA: All right, thank you so much!

She and Lynn hug. He pats her back and she looks excited.

LYNN: You're welcome. See you later.

Paola goes to the door. They wave at each other. She leaves. He sits on a chair by his desk, opens one of its drawers and puts the papers in it. He takes a hand sanitizer bottle out of it, puts it atop the desk, pours its content on his hands and rubs them and seconds later, Jacob enters with a folder.

JACOB: Hey Lynn, I need you to...

Lynn quickly puts the bottle in the drawer and shuts it.

JACOB (CONT'D): Are you all right?

 

 

Go to part:2  3 

 

 

Copyright © 2012 Winson Thai
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"