Fight Fire With Fire
Joseph Albrecht

 

Fight Fire with Fire
Ken Groundbreaker, President and CEO of the Thirsty oil company reread the plans for expanding drilling operations in Alaska. Shaking his head, he muttered “There are way too many protections on this land for it to be profitable to us.” With public sentiment shifting towards “preserve and protect” our environment, a lot of emphasis must be placed on swaying their opinion. Picking up the phone, he called Pete Forge, in charge of public relations “Hey Pete, its Ken.” “What’s up, boss?” “We need to hold a major event or series of events to win over more of the public. Otherwise, our drilling operations will be a pipe dream.” Pete laughed at this, “Well, I’ll use what extra money we have in our trust and consult with some allies of ours to get that going.” “Great, but remember to give it everything we’ve got because we literally can’t afford to fail.” Groundbreaker put the phone down and turned on the TV. There was an ad showing communities devastated by oil drilling nearby. The spokesperson said “What would you want for your children” as she pointed to an organic farm co-op and a pipeline operation in a farm community. He said to himself, “I can see it now: “Thirsty, a strong force for employment.” Ken envisioned an ad showing needed jobs being provided to poor communities via the expansion of their operations. He nodded in amusement, “We really need to throw in all our chips on this one.”

Working with colleagues on developing a viable plan for moving things forward, Forge turned to recent polls dealing with public concern about the environment. He read one indicating that Americans are mainly concerned with the health effects associated with environmental degradation. Pete turned to Mark, one of his colleagues, “What if we invested in combating diseases like cancer?” he said, pointing to the charts. Mark thought it over, “Our reputation on that will cause us to look bad. We might have to add other things as well.” “I’ve got it, we’ll rename our current practices to sound more eco-friendly. Chemicals will become ‘substances’, hydraulic fracturing will be known as ‘tapping into’ and we’ll dilute other terms as we go.” Mark displayed an immediate grin, “Forge, we’re on the money now. Let’s start making some ads and slogans for the public.”

Conrad Server was known for his dedication to environmental protection. Speaking to a crowd of one thousand in Anchorage, he outlined the major environmental threats piece by piece. With a power point enforcing his arguments, he rallied public enthusiasm “We know where Thirsty’s best interest lies, and, despite our hopes, it’s not with us. Time and again, our environment has been subjected to broken promises and greedy exploitation. I call upon Mr. Greenbreaker and his employees to answer for their disastrous actions.” The crowd thundered in support. Server continued, “Thirsty has a public meeting scheduled here in a week’s time, and we can send a clear message and keep them off our precious land. The more people we have, the lower their chances, so gather as many as possible and let’s make our presence felt!” Conrad knew he had a fighting chance with the weakening Goliath, the only thing left to do now, was let time play itself out.

Thirsty’s employees were hard at work, formulating public-friendly language for their gathering. Greenbreaker was busy at their headquarters in Seattle, “Contact some newspapers that we’ve been supported by in the past” he said to Terry, their media correspondent “We need press coverage to view us in an embracing light.” She looked up and asked, “What about some TV and radio stations to feature some of our commercials?” Ken smiled “Perfect Terry, I hadn’t even thought about that.” He phoned a billboard business to advertise Thirsty on main highways throughout Washington and Alaska. Groundbreaker held that their potential supporters grew in proportion to their degree of advertising, and, as a result, doubled down on efforts in this area.

The protesters of Thirsty, spearheaded by Conrad, were relentlessly organizing public awareness of their own. Pro-environmental magazines, TV and radio stations were moving Thirsty’s conference to the forefront of debate. Speaking with a reporter over the phone, Server outlined his key goals “We need to have our voices listened to because Thirsty is not concerned with the devastation it leaves behind. Their collective short-term mind places monetary gains over the health and safety of our-selves and our environment.” Public demonstrators, captivated by these arguments, grew daily. Although their intentions varied, they held a large array of common ideals. It was this commitment which posed a formidable threat to Thristy’s operations.

Groundbreaker touched base with Pete to see how things were progressing in the PR department “What have you guys come up with?” “We’ve watered-down the names associated with many of our practices, and appealed to the public’s best economic interests, hinting at low employment levels. Here are some topics to advertise” he said handing him a flash-drive with their ads for the public. Ken shook his hand “Good work, this should garner ample support from the public which is greatly needed.”

The Anchorage crowd was expansive beyond even the expectations of Server himself. A diverse crowd of 3,000 flooded the scheduled meeting space well-before Groundbreaker’s crew arrived. Jack Gardener, a reporter for Pro Eco magazine was finding unity with the public by reinforcing universal ambitions. He rehearsed why all these people were here and what they can expect before leaving “Each of you have different reasons for being here today. Yet we are bound together by larger issues dealing with all our lives. Our future must not be dictated by myopic corporations in pursuit of unthinkable greed. Thirsty wants Alaska’s precious land for the expansion of the havoc already born from their actions which are neither safe nor sustainable. To accomplish this, they’ve vamped-up efforts to quash effective public debate, well not today. Mr. Groundbreaker thinks that his company will just come here, indoctrinate you into supporting then continue on his merry way. Boy, are they in for it; I have activist, Conrad Server in this chair here, and I’ll be on his right. We’ve done this to ensure that Thirsty doesn’t simply talk their way out of real debate.” The crowd responded with emphatic applause and everyone was anxious to witness the debate.

A massive line of vehicles headed right for the stage of the debate. Emblazoned on their sides was Thirsty’s logo with oil drops dripping from the Y. Ken exited his black suburban and headed up to join Gardener and Server. He was followed by ten company affiliates, each of whom took a seat in the many chairs provided. Groundbreaker walked up to one of the microphones, “Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. I’m sure there are many issues that you’d like to discuss, and we’ll get to those issues in time. Thirsty got a lead of the potential drilling opportunities by expanding our operations to Alaska. The many potential benefits of doing so are not only advantageous to our company, but to this great state as well. First and foremost, it will provide much-needed jobs to Alaskans, as we’re employing residents of this state for the project. These are stable, good-paying jobs that are very hard to come by in today’s hectic economy. Drilling in Alaska will also enable us to harness our nation’s true energy potential, while limiting America’s dependence on foreign oil. This is of extreme importance because of the many uncertainties associated with foreign oil. Oil prices will become cheaper, allowing more Americans to heat their homes and businesses without the anxiety of the past. These are just some of the imperative benefits associated with the expansion of Thirsty’s drilling operations.”

The crowd largely remained silent at the end of Groundbreaker’s speech. Conrad Server was listening intently to Groundbreaker and knew he had to deliver for his many supporters. He stood up and took his microphone and turned to Groundbreaker “While all of your arguments sound good and worthy of supporting, you seem to exclude key facts from your proposal. First, Thirsty’s environmental track record is tragic. Your company has exploited thousands of acres of natural land and left behind a barren wasteland once all is said and done. Yes, Alaskans will have jobs working for you, but they’d be employed in a highly destructive system. We aren’t sure of the consequences that expanding your operations will have. In the past, Thirsty has been fined for violations of their land rites and, with no major changes, we can’t be certain that history won’t repeat itself.”

Many people cheered in support of Server’s arguments, and it began to appear a losing battle for Groundbreaker, who slowly rose and took his microphone. “Look folks; Server is merely diverting attention from the fact that our pros largely outweigh our cons. I have an expert on environmental studies from Cornell, who I’ll now introduce. He’s been researching topics like this for fifteen years and has valuable insight for all of us, please welcome, Norman Burner. More people applauded as Burner took the stand, and it seemed as if the momentum began to shift. “I’ve been reviewing cases of oil expansion like this and, in the vast majority of cases, nature benefits from oil drilling expansion.” The crowd looked confused, but Burner explained his “logic”. He continued, “When trees and foliage are destroyed by forest fires, the ashes help enrich the soil to allow for more prosperous growth to occur. Likewise, once we tap into our vast underground reserves, the environment will be stronger after our wake.” Server and Gardener couldn’t believe their eyes; to their horror, most people cheered in agreement. Jack waited until the crowd died down then took the microphone again. He began “This nonsense is propaganda at its most despicable. Nature, in the best cases, takes decades to recover from the destruction by underground oil drilling. Unlike natural forest fires, drilling is not natural in any way, shape or form.” The audience began to jeer and throw their drinks at Gardener. One person shouted “You’re a roadblock to necessary progress”. Conrad and Jack couldn’t fathom what was happening. Conrad turned to him, “Look, we tried; there’s really nothing that will change their minds at this point.” Jack frowned, “This is an utter shock and misfortune. I certainly thought we had it in the bag.”

As Thirsty oil relished in their expanded freedom to plunder away at Alaska’s natural beauty, Server had a solemn conversation with Gardener at his house. He shook his head “I’m dumbfounded that we’d be shut down by a rapacious company with an ominous track record. Our environment is already out of whack, and Thirsty says that more drilling will help it, and the public believes them.” Jack nodded “We’re not the only ones thinking this way, Conrad. It may take some time, but we could muster up an imposing number of allies. After all, we have environmental magazines such as the one I write for and, most importantly, we have Mother Nature herself. No matter what the opposing forces are, nature always wins in the end.” Server looked up, “Let’s monitor the situation without getting too much involved. If the residents of Alaska become fed up with the awful noise, smog and pollutants, it won’t be necessary for us to interfere.” Gardener concurred “Good idea, I believe this whole operation is going to self-destruct anyway.”

Thirsty’s crew didn’t waste any time, and took advantage of their golden opportunity right away. With the maps already drawn up, and land zoned, equipment began pouring onto previously untouched acres. Within a couple months, permanent drilling stations were set up, and the quest for black gold began. Different crews were assigned for the many tasks involved; and each crew had its own manager directing operations. Newspaper allies reported of the new economic success brought to Alaska; but some workers began to grow more pessimistic about the environment. The crews were subjected to sludge, dust and debris blown in large swaths by massive trucks without end. Masks were worn to avoid breathing in these contaminants; however, this constant exposure left a bitter taste with many workers. Although they kept to themselves, there was a uniform sense that maybe Thirsty’s promise wasn’t all they thought it to be.

Halfway into month three, a main pipe burst, spilling hundreds of gallons of oil while crews desperately struggled to fix it. The pipe’s breaking point was joined by a breaking point in the crewmen, who, after the damage was fixed, expressed their complaints openly for the first time. Surveying the damage, one man said “I doubt this repair will hold for long; and who knows how many more of these instances we’re in for by continuing these operations.” Another crewman joined him, “We are being treated like test dummies in a high-risk situation. Thirsty seems to be concerned with profits over people.” The protestors grew weekly and began to go on strike. When Greenbreaker was informed of this, he sent all of the different crew managers to join with local police in breaking up the strike and continuing operations as usual. He gave a speech in front of all workers involved “Each of you plays a crucial role in ensuring our actions to help this economy. By going strike, you pose a dangerous roadblock on this path to progress. Under no circumstances will these strikes be tolerated; and each of you will see our job to completion.”

Under the iron heel of Greenbreaker and Thirsty’s management, the workers endured constant labor which taxed their bodies, minds and spirits. Every attempt made to alter this chain of misery was quickly and forcibly extinguished. The workers now understood what Conrad Server and Jack Gardener had warned them about, but it was too late. One night after another tolling day, a worker in the excavation crew turned to his colleague and friend; “Why does Thirsty do this when they know the dreadful results it has on so many people and our natural environment?” His friend sighed; “This company, like just about every other major corporation, has one mentality: ‘Fight fire with fire because life is naught but a commodity to be exploited until irreparable collapse.”

 

 

Copyright © 2012 Joseph Albrecht
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"