Attack From The Beyond (1)
Michael Harris

 


Adrian Belfast and his compatriots Ashley and Christopher were mulling about as best they could in this isolated sanctuary, this Merridion holdfast established here on Earth. They were the first to arrive at the complex. Lucas (or Lucalan) had predictably told them not to get too close to anything, at least not yet. And then he hustled off to some hidden vantage point with some of his alien brethren.

The Merridions had created many of these holdfasts throughout the world in case the Aelkighted decided to act hostile towards human beings. There were many Merridions who were stationed throughout Earth�s multitude of nations for innumerable tasks. Right now�as it was explained to the trio�those closest to governments were busying themselves briefing Earthly dignitaries of the threat posed by Aelkightia, and that they�Merridia�were going to assist Earth in its defense . Lucas explained that there were numerous contingency plans for just how to go about revealing this information, and assured Adrian and his companions that everything would work out for the best.

On the outside the Merridion holdfast looked just like your run-of-the-mill depository in any out-the-way-locality, but if you were to step inside it was like you had left the Earthly stratosphere. There were many such devices and equipment strewn about this warehouse-sized structure that left them all wonderstruck.

Exotic machines seemed to drip enough power and intensity that they could implode planets. Colors�such gorgeous colors!�deep yellows, brilliantly bright azures, affectionately vivid violets were spiraling seemingly out of control in one area of the complex, as Merridion scientists kick started an alien apparatus into working order. They caught sight of one corner where this towering metallic configuration was apparently gathering innumerable energies unto itself. It would do so from time to time, and then effectively blink out, like the wheezing of a worn down automobile.

They looked about�all of them�with a sense of reverence for the technological achievement of the Merridions, even if they didn�t have the slightest clue what any of it meant or did. Whatever they were doing, it appeared very important, and Lucas himself said as much.

Christopher and Ashley shadowed Adrian with mouths agape as he accosted one male Merridion who was holding some kind of alien looking device in his hands, which projected multitudinous diagrams before him.

�What�what is all of this?� said Adrian tugging on the blue skinned Merridion�s overcoat. The Merridion looked up from his pocket supercomputer and glanced at the trio most thoroughly.

�I assume your guides haven�t clued you in on any of the details,� he said.

�What details?� said Christopher.

He sighed. �I�ll try to explain it as simply and succinctly as I can. The Aelkighted have just�for all intents and purposes�occupied the homeworld. By now High Commander Xeriot is no doubt headed for Earth with a large gathering of Super Starships housing a vast contingent of Aelkightia�s choice marines, soldiers and air personnel, all a bevy of pernicious butchers capable of sweeping and subduing this planet in less than a fortnight. The Galactic Council sits in their halls and doesn�t stir at even the most glaring provocations, let alone the slights. We Merridions serve as Earth�s guardians, and as guardians we are bound to protect, in whichever way we see fit. Quite simply, we�re recruiting.�

�What do you mean by that?� was Ashley�s reply.

�You three will be among the first of the Earthlings whose DNA will be manipulated in order that you might assist we Merridions in repelling this alien threat. Now, now, there will be none of that. It is a totally harmless procedure and is a science that we have perfected among the infinitude of universal species throughout the ages. There are others of course. All those whom we shuttled to Merridion will be chosen as well, here and at other holdfasts.

�By doing this, we hope to give both you and us a fighting chance against the Aelkighted, who�it is sure�will be expecting a most unprepared planet when they arrive. This�however�will prove most surprising to that nefarious bunch. I am sure you will need some time to digest this new development, so we have prepared a most educational introduction to your new abilities in the holoroom.

�But we must be quick. The Aelkighted according to our sensors are but days away from breaking Earth�s gravitational field. Ah, there are your guides now. Lucalan, would you be so kind as to lead these brave young Earthlings to the holoroom where their minds can be set at ease?� Lucas returned with the retinue of his alien brethren who traveled with the Earthly trio from Merridion and began herding them into the holoroom.

***


The massive fleet of the Aelkighted armada was lifting itself off of the surface of the Merridion planet, peppering the polluted sky with enough brute force to swallow whole galaxies. If anyone could see Castillia now, they would be aghast: a capital city now devoid of anything considered vegetation, an atmosphere so decrepit it looked as if death had visited ten thousand times over. It was as if Castillia had been inoculated with a host of ecological plagues and disasters. The once beautiful and technologically superior megalopolis now stood in ruin. The end of millennial eras of serenity had arrived here in this peaceful corner of the Tridorian Galaxy. Phase I was just beginning.

Some of the combined empire�s forces would remain behind to safeguard their new trophy possession; coordinate with the homeworld of Aelkightia, and engage any Merridion stragglers. But the rest of their military might were on a new mission, to hunt down those Merridions who fled to the Milky Way galaxy, and were headed to Earth, as protectors and overseers.

High Commander Xeriot, the commander of just this one arm of the multi limbed Aelkighted Empire, watched through the viewing screen as the crown jewel of this advanced fleet (what can be loosely interpreted as �The Imperilizer�) moved out of Merridion space, preparing to engage its hyperdrive systems. No one could really say what the Aelkighted looked like, as they were possessors of a rather extraordinary gift, shape shifting. True, to other planets and peoples this would not seem like a gift, not when they could infiltrate your world, learn everything about your multitudes of cultures; become acquainted with your languages, scouting you out for a potential amalgamation. But if you were looking now you might sense beings whose hunger for expansion never truly went away, an aggressive lot, single minded creatures that would not be swayed.

Earth had been in the targeting scope for hundreds of years, but the vexatious Merridions would always get in Aelkightia�s way. They stood for something that the Aelkighted just could not fathom; truth, justice, hope, and peace. But now not only would the Merridions see their home world swallowed up by the Aelkighted, but Earth�s due date was finally here as well. The Supreme One would be thrilled.

***



�It won�t be too bad,� said Adrian trying to respond comfortingly to a despondent Ashley, taking her hand in his. The Earthly trio had been discussing the introductory hologram which disclosed their abilities for a good forty five minutes. Power shields, psionics, and photon energies would be the order of the day in the face of the Aelkighted onslaught. The Merridions would also increase their capacities for battle strategies and tactics, for soldiering in the field of battle. The Earthly trio would be given qualities that some of Earth�s greatest warriors possessed. Adrian placed his hand on Ashley�s shoulder. �They said they have the technology perfected, so you don�t have to worry about genetic mutations and the like.�

Christopher paced about the room, disquietude marking his deportments. He was African American with dark, curly hair and air of inexperience about him. �My mind is blown,� he said. �You mean to tell me, that they �re gonna screw �round with my DNA to fight these ET�s, and that I�m gonna be one of the first of millions, maybe even billions, of humans to try to fight off this alien threat?� He engaged himself in a myriad of gesticulations. �It�s mind-blowing!�

�There won�t be billions,� said Lucas, who was the only one of the Merridions who had remained with the trio after they had watched the hologram. �It�s probably more correct to say that there will be tens of thousands.�

�Still,� said Ashley, �this is a lot to take in.� She rose from her position, grappling with the decisions that now stood before her. �Why pick me? I�m not a fighter or warrior. I�m just a young woman who just happened to befriend a Merridion and was shuttled off to some alien world in preparation for a hostile invasion.� She burst out with laughter. �How crazy does that sound? So I have to defend the people that I love, or watch them get overrun by an overly aggressive alien super power? This is hard to digest.�

�That should be our motivation.� began Adrian whose head was bent in reflection. While it certainly appeared an impossible task he seemed to be the only one of the trio who had adopted what the Merridions expected of him. �Try to think on all the good you�d be doing. Consider what lies just beyond the horizon, if you get my drift. If we along with the other selected humans and Merridions can pull this off, then what happens? Perhaps the Galactic Council will see fit to allow us to join. You never know. But of course, there�d be no knowing period if we just stand back and allow the Aelkighted to have their way with our planet.�

�I guess�I guess that makes sense�� said Ashley who was seemingly coming around. Christopher took his seat after much rumination and aired his thoughts.

�I�ve always wanted to�like�get involved in somethin� special, somethin� that had a lot of meaning. This could be my special moment, ya know? This could be all our special moments�� Ashley inwardly reflected on Christopher�s musing. They all seemed to be warming up to the idea of having their genes manipulated.

Lucas studied Adrian, Ashley, and Christopher in kind. �Should I tell them that you three are ready?� Adrian glanced at his compatriots tentatively. �Yeah, I think so.� Ashley and Christopher both nodded their assent.

***


When the time finally came for the Earthlings to have their DNA altered, they were all inside of what could best be described as man sized, multihued test tubes on top of soaring revolving platforms. They were hovering inside of these Merridion mechanical pods, as if balanced on invisible tethers, and the rainbow colors were moving about slowly by degrees, almost hypnotically. There was wildly alien architecture enveloping them on all sides. Alien metals were erected in copious foreign designs, constructs that even the brightest of Earth�s futurists could only dimly hint at.

And yet despite all the apparatuses obviously being extraterrestrial, these exotic super computers, automated cocoons, and otherworldly devices all possessed an undeniable harmony; it was indeed alien and recognized as such, but to the human palate it proved agreeable.

Adrian was installed between both Christopher and Ashley. In mindset, Adrian was deeply situated in wonder at the scientific authority of the Merridions, and he saw that his comrades were as well; that is, until something queer took place.

Merridions hustled about the Merridion complex, appearing to ensure that everything went smoothly. It proved eerie to Adrian, when he considered the totality of events. Adrian began to speculate fretfully why the Merridions were behaving like bees in a beehive. Some Merridions were shouting at their compatriots, others of which were on the brink of unrelenting panic.

He began to contemplate on the environment he was ostensibly now in. What have I gotten myself into? What have I gotten us all into? I told them not to concern themselves over this, and that we�d be fine, and now these Merridions are disintegrating before our very eyes. Isn�t this supposed to be par for the course? They said they had this technology perfected, and yet, there can be no mistaking that they are worried about something. He looked alongside himself at both Ashley and Christopher and saw that they too were expressing apprehensions. Something�s wrong, he thought. Or why else would they be carrying themselves like this?

Then he spun his head towards Lucas (or Lucalan as he was called among his alien brethren) standing just below him and saw calm; a reassuring smile was communicated to him amongst the Merridion chaos. That was enough to steel him, enough to get him through whatever it was that the Merridions were wrestling with. He looked towards his companions and told them that they would make it to the other side of this, they had made the right choice: his friend had intimated as much, and he trusted him. They had been through some peculiar particulars that companions shouldn�t have to face amidst themselves (they were even to the point of enemies once), but those episodes belonged squarely in the past.

Ashley and Christopher steeled themselves as well. Adrian had said what was necessary to tame their tempestuous seas.

A male Merridion began making his ascent up the platform towards the instrument panel. There descended an air of expectancy among all the inhabitants of the Merridion complex. Adrian saw from his high hovering point that other Earthlings assigned to this facility had just finished viewing their own instructional hologram, and were heading to the congested warehouse area.

Merridion incubation tubes beside them also had human beings in them, though (it was true) some of these mechanical pods were empty. Adrian postulated that some of these people may want to await the results before they finally commit themselves to the idea of gene manipulation.

It wouldn�t take long for them to see those results.

The Merridion scientist began to manipulate the alien dashboard. An all-encompassing hum could be heard throughout the alien facility, and the colors on the mechanical pods entered a process of speeding up; slowly at first, but then it eventually took on wildness. The platform; it too began to revolve, and Adrian felt himself being tossed inside of the pod. So many colors danced before Adrian as he floated about. Light began to flash inside of the device. Despite all of this advancing activity, Adrian felt no sense of dizziness. Throughout he perceived that he was experiencing a high like no other, something akin to a sensational euphoria.

Adrian perceived that military stratagems and ideas were being suggested to him, and that he found himself wholeheartedly agreeing with these recommended tactics and principles. As with the color shifting they came on slowly at first, but before long his psyche was being inundated with a whole host of propositions and insinuations, all of which he signed off on.

He felt that he could now do things with his mind that he couldn�t do before. Mental links with others could be made, even from elongated distances. It all seemed to come naturally, as if he could always do these sorts of things, as if everyone should be able to practice abilities such as these.

Then a power shot through him. He couldn�t tell where it came from, but he recognized that some kind of vast energy was just deposited inside him. He believed he could face many an Aelkighted with this newfound strength that coursed through his veins

The Merridion scientist began to power down the gene manipulator; the revolving lessened, the colors swirled about more slowly, and the great hum became a quiet whisper. The mechanical cocoons ejected their inhabitants and they came out transformed. There was nothing different about their personalities, these would remain, but they were now in possession of powers and reasoning stratagems related to the field of battle, the techniques of Earth�s greatest warriors resided within their genes.

Adrian glanced at his compatriots and the other humans as they all gathered themselves about as the process of reorientation was just beginning. The Merridion scientist approached them. It was the same one who communicated to the trio that they would be joining in the fight to defend Earth from the onslaught of the Aelkighted. He pursed his lips and began his inquiry.

�Well? How do you feel?� The trio all glanced at one another, but it was Adrian who spoke. He didn�t say much turning back towards the Merridion scientist, but what he said sufficed.

�When do we face the Aelkighted?�

***


Clev of the Aelkighted was flipping through three dimensional holograms as High Commander Xeriot and other Aelkightian dignitaries watched on impassionedly. Clev was giving the whole of the High Council of this arm of Aelkightia�s military might an idea of how suitable Earth was for a possible amalgamation. As one of the many chameleons sent to Earth, he possessed knowledge that was valuable to the High Council.

He showed them the many metals that could be harvested, buried beneath the crust and used to construct instruments of ruin by the Aelkighted scientists; he previewed the oceans that could be drained and used to be transformed into Aelkightian liquors and brews, the various races of people that could be shuttled to Aelkightian slave worlds and forced to serve out the rest of their lives in extremity of toil and hardship.

He gave the High Council many glimpses of what Earth was like, and just how remunerative of a world it would become once it had become amalgamated.

�There is no doubt, that strategically, Earth is very suitable for subjugation,� said Clev in the uncanny Aelkighted tongue. �It is situationally close to Neraxis, and in times of great military need would prove a boon and boost to any campaign that we could become engaged in this sector. Certainly the Merridions were not complete fools in choosing Earth for guardianship.�

�Indeed,� said High Commander Xeriot. �That has not been lost on our Supreme Lord. Continue.�

�As you wish,� said Clev. A holovision of Earth�s most destructive weaponry� jet fighters, tanks, and nuclear arsenal was previewed. �The Earthlings do not possess even a modicum of star might so it would be a small matter of overthrowing their governments and civilizations. It would not take much time at all before we have the planet completely subdued. That is the conclusion of my assessment.�

�A grand assessment,� remarked Monfurth, one of the chief aides. �I must say however, it proves far too easy. Why would all of Merridia abandon the homeworld to protect and oversee the guardianship of this planet? What is the Contingent planning? It can�t be this easy!�

�Perhaps,� said High Commander Xeriot, �their love of the Earthlings has blinded them. The Merridions have not thought in their own best interest for quite some time now, since at least the drama that unfolded with Telkwinora.�

�Yes, that would seem to be it,� said another, more assuring aide. �Do not be overly concerned, Monfurth, Earth is all but ours.�

�If that is all,� said High Commander Xeriot, �this conference session is adjourned. I must see the Supreme Lord in regards to our progress in securing Earth.� The aides and informant Clev dismissed on this note, nothing short but the dreams of another colonized world populating their psyches.

***


They came at them from every corner, crevice, holdfast; laser blasts marred perfect human structures, advanced alien rocketry left tarred, gaping holes in the beautiful landscape, blasts from vaporizers caused those military men and women near them to collapse into nothingness. Through it all, they yet remained, and lived to see another engagement with the Swarm of the Aelkighted. They were those humans who had their genes manipulated, and they stood on the front lines of the war with Aelkightia.

However, this was only a holosimulation. The true terrors and horrors of war had yet to be experienced by these green recruits.

The Merridion scientist called a halt in the action while Lucalan and his alien brethren gathered themselves around their Earthly compatriots.

�Progress,� said the Merridion scientist. �Progress indeed. But I fear we do not have the time needed to prepare you all for what�s coming. I am afraid that you will have to learn in the midst of warfare.�

�How hard can it be,� said Christopher. �I feel like I can take on strings of the Aelkighted at the same time; Chris sezs, let them come. I�ll giv�em somethin they nev�r experienced: the taste of fear.� And as he said this he began a shadow boxing expedition. Adrian, Ashley, and the other humans echoed the same sentiments. Lucas intervened.

�You misunderstand. You are still experiencing the highs of the gene manipulator. It will take much hardening before we see the true extent of your military acumen. In some ways, then, I guess we can say that this upcoming conflict with the Aelkighted will be the catalyst to refine your newfound abilities.�

�Yeah, well�if you say so,� said Christopher.

�How about another round with those Aelkighted scum?� said Ashley. �I feel like taking some of their alien heads off.� The other humans followed through with the same expressions or near expressions. The Merridion scientist sighed.

Just then a Merridion page came hustling inside of the simulator room and whispered something in the Merridion scientists� ear. Lucas and his alien brethren looked about warily, Adrian noticed with acuity, displaying a small smile on his visage. The page left and Adrian perceived something very near defeat in the Merridion scientists� mannerisms, though it didn�t make sense to him.

�I have just been informed that the Aelkighted are almost upon us. The Contingent will speak to an assembled force of human and Merridion military before we embark on the operation to salvage Earth. I implore you all to steel yourselves as best you can. Try to shake off some of these lingering effects, and concentrate on the seriousness of your circumstance. Now, follow me. We will be leaving this holdfast immediately, and joining with an arm of Earthly and Merridion militaries.�

***


The inestimable vastness of the Aelkighted Armada leaped out of hyper-space, Super Star Ships equipped with devastatingly powerful weapons, attack fighters capable of speeds unknown to men, drop ships able to hold thousands of infantry all trailed one another, the blue planet squarely in sight.

But the Merridions were awaiting them. An amalgamated mass of Merridion cruisers and fighters engaged the Aelkighted and the two opposing alien forces became locked in a titanic struggle for the fate of Earth.

These two galactic powers would be warring for an exceedingly long time, it is true; however, this arm of the Aelkighted being such a colossal military force, High Commander Xeriot was able to disengage a great portion of his strength to assault Earth directly, disregarding the Merridion defenses completely.

And so it came to this�

***


Ser Arfalla Di Hanistallan�the head of the Contingent�had spoken to them all, but that could hardly be enough to fortify these fragile human psyches, surely, even among the most hardened of soldiers. Humanity was in the midst of not just one, but two first contacts. Anything said broadcast to a host of military personnel over encrypted communications by a blue looking Merridion man would not go the required distance to steeling their minds, though it had to be said; and in fact in some ways it was reassuring to know that a technological galactic super power was behind them.

There was not enough time to manipulate the genes of all soldiers, so steps were taken whereby those Merridions who were integrated in the Earthly militaries would equip and train men in the use of Merridion warfare.

The Merridions had also supplied the Earth militaries with heaps and heaps of splendiferous and many sided leafs that helped to calm their minds amongst the monstrous oblivion which stood before them. It would help them to think straight, to concentrate better in the field of war and not so much worry about the fact that they were standing next to alien blue men and a hostile otherworldy invader had arrived. The feeling wouldn�t last forever though and the Merridon supply would at some point be exhausted.

 

 

Go to part:2  3 

 

 

Copyright © 2011 Michael Harris
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"