No Hesitation
Amelia R James

 

‘I don’t care how it ‘I don’t care how it gets done.I just want it done and I want it done now! Am I clear?’ said the alpha male voice that was resonating through the speakerphone. A short pause and then it continued. Although now it was somewhat softer yet still held that authoritative air that so thoroughly seemed to envelope the speaker. ‘Hey, I know that we are all tired here. Believe me, I know that you all are working around the clock taking time away from your families. The marketing potential for this new software will make this company more attractive to new clients. New clients will allow us to achieve a better bottom line. In turn, handsome profit earnings will keep this company alive and employees compensated nicely. With that said, let’s finish up and we will all get a few days off.’

I’m flying out in a couple of days and I expect to see some progress, and when I say progress that means I expect to see those design specifications complete for the new software program.’
Just when he was somehow appeasing the crew . . . Slam!! Mia thought. In order for her to finish the design specs, it would take her day and night camped out in her little ‘private’ cubicle. Although with people parading in and out asking questions the facts are that she wouldn’t really be getting any work completed until after everyone had left for the day. ‘Damn that man is infuriating!!’ Suddenly the room became so silent that you could hear a pin drop on the carpeted floor. Did she say that out loud?

‘Well, I think that will be all. I’ll let you all get to work, so you can discuss amongst yourselves what you would really like to call me.’ Spoke the voice through the phone in a cross between aggravation and amusement. Though she thought that it sounded a lot more like amusement. Choruses of muted goodbyes were spoken and the meeting was mercifully over.

Mia kept her eyes downcast and her head bowed as she walked through the door. She could literally feel the glances her co-workers were passing her way as if they were tangible; wrapping her like a cloak. Working around the clock has made everyone tense. She was certain that she wasn’t the only one with those thoughts on her mind. She was just the one who had spoken them aloud and directly to the man who was the subject of all this upheaval. In stunned disbelief, she strode to her cube. She had just cursed at the executive vice president of the company the man who signs her payroll check, although when you really think about it, for all the grief, it wasn’t nearly enough. However it put food on the table.

Hurriedly, she continued on to her cubicle at Pathos Communications. When she got there she moaned at the sight. Lately, she could barely see the top of her desk due to all of the clutter that had been accumulating since this project began. Papers from the analysis, printed l-notes on specifications, preliminary mock-up designs were all scattered about. It was all recycle Heaven . . . or Hell!! Take your pick. All she wanted to do was throw it out the window.

Just then Carly, her best friend and partner in crime in this project, came by her desk. They were part of a crew of 10 who were all working to develop the new software. The goal was to develop new networking software that will revolutionalize the business.
‘Are you on your monthly or did your brain just take a temporary sabbatical?’ questioned Carly. ‘What in the world happened back there?’
‘I don’t know I guess I am just tired.’
‘Well keep that up and you won’t have to worry about being tired because you will have lots of time to sit on the couch and eat Ramen Noodle soup.’ She took a long dramatic sigh and said ‘No point in procrastinating. Let’s get to work I imagine you want it all to look pretty darn good when he comes.’
At that point they both looked at each other and started laughing. With tears in her eyes, her stomach aching from laughing so hard Mia said ‘I can’t believe it! Can you imagine?’ I’ll probably be fired tomorrow or actually after I complete all this work.’

As the laughter died down, she looked over at her friend who had been a part of her life since she started at the small company. From the moment they met, they connected and a strong friendship had been bonded.
'Do you ever wonder about the voice on the other side of the phone, I mean what he looks like?’
‘Yes, I imagine he’s a bald 600 pound slave driver.’
‘Yeah, your probably right.’
‘Let’s just get to work.’


Two days, 3 lbs of coffee, and 5 hours of sleep later they were ready for executive Vice President Eric Wright. On the day of the design presentation, a jarring ring awoke her. Bleary eyed she reached for the phone, but at the same time her eyes rested on the alarm clock. The clock read 8:30AM. An hour later than the time she was supposed to have reported to work. She jerked the phone off the hook and spoke quickly knowing it would be Carly. “I’ll be there in a half hour. Please just stall for time.’ She dressed quickly and headed out the door to her trustworthy 95 Honda Civic hatchback. She stepped into the car and inserted the key in the ignition. Absolutely nothing stirred. She was 2 hours late for work.

‘Keep the change’ she said as she stepped out of the Yellow Cab at 9:30. Hurriedly, she ran into the building and headed towards her cubicle. Just as she passed the receptionist desk where Ms. Harris usually sat her cell phone rang. At the same moment she reached to answer the phone, she collided with something that felt like a rock. She would have fallen but strong quick hands reached out and held her steady.

A thorough flush of embarrassment enveloped her. She looked down at the hands that still held her as she continued to teeter. They were sure, steady and strong. Finally she slid her eyes across his torso and up to his face. All thought processes stopped at the exact moment that their eyes met. Oh my God!

He was hands down no contest the best looking man she had ever laid eyes on. Tall, sleek and considering the speed at which his hands moved to steady her, very agile. His eyes were an intense smoky gray color somewhat akin to a stormy day, which all matched perfectly to his short cropped dirty blonde hair. A dark blue suit that probably cost as much as her monthly paycheck with a striped blue tie to match rounded out the total package.
Suddenly, she figured out that she was spending a little too much time admiring him. No that wasn’t right, she had spent a little too much time gawking! She looked into those cloudy depths again and read sheer amusement.
‘I am so sorry.’ She squeaked out.
‘It’s all right. Although it would be good if you were watching your step’
Was that a note of censure?
‘I have to go. I apologize again and Thanks for not letting me look like an idiot by taking a fall.’
‘No problem’
She raced along again hearing the sound of his voice echo through her mind and feeling his eyes follow her around the corner.
She finally reached her cube and realized that Carly was at her desk waiting for her.
‘Finally. Are you ready to give the presentation?’ Carly said as soon as she walked in. It’s funny that when she was taking her business and computer courses in college, thoughts about personal fulfillment didn’t really factor in. She just wanted to finish school, so she could display an attractive, although useless, plaque. Now four years after college, she knew that she needed to find something else. Something that wouldn’t leave a bitter taste in her mouth when she was 70 and looking back on how she spent her best years. This wasn’t it.
She had always wanted to write a book. All through her life she had been a ferocious reader devouring everything she could get her hands on whether it was a Great Literary work, thriller or romance she loved to read it all. Maybe she would actually get around to it.

‘Hello’ Carly said in a high pitched agitated voice ‘Are you still there? Let’s get to the conference room and get started. It’s obvious the natives are restless.’ She began walking, but abruptly turned around with a mischievous grin and twinkle in her eye. ‘Executive Vice President Wright is here.’
Mia groaned ‘Thanks for reminding me.’

As they entered the conference room she ran right into Stormy Gray Eyes. Their eyes met, but this time he didn’t smile. Realization slowly crept in. She desperately wished that the floor would open up and swallow her whole. The man she had visually feasted over earlier was no other than Eric Wright. Needless to say he didn’t appear happy.

When she tore her gaze away from him, she noticed all present parties were somber and serious except Carly. From the corner of her eye, she could see Carly snickering.
Carly took the lead then and introduced Mia to Eric Wright.
‘Glad you could make it, Mia’ He said in a cool sarcastic voice.
She must have looked like a red chili pepper at that point she was so embarrassed.
‘I’m sorry. I overslept and then my car went dead this morning.’
‘We’ll if you are ready we can go ahead now.’ He said it as if she had a choice.
She was a little nervous with 12 pairs of eyes hanging on her every word, but the presentation progressed smoothly. At the end, he seemed impressed with her work thus far.
‘Good job looks like you thought of almost everything.’
Almost? What did that mean?
‘I’d like to go over it with you in more detail later.’
‘Of course’
After the 2-hour presentation, she ambled back to her cubicle with Carly at her side.
‘You did an excellent job with the presentation.’
‘Thanks.’
‘So. . What did you think?’
‘About what?’
‘Oh don’t play innocent with me. I’m speaking about the perfectly formed male specimen with those piercing gray eyes.’
 ‘Oh that’
‘Yes that’
‘He’s alright’
‘Your either blind or a liar’
 They parted once they reached her cube. ‘I’ll see you later I have a lunch date with John today.’
‘See ya, have fun.’
She sat down and stared vacantly at the computer screen.
‘Hello Mia’ said a voice that she now thought she would never forget.
‘Hello, Mr. Wright.’
‘Call me Eric please. I wanted to let you know that I appreciate your hard work on this project and I am glad that you’re on the team.’
‘Thanks, I am sorry that I was late today.’
‘Don’t worry about it; I know you have been burning the midnight oil a lot lately. Did you have lunch plans?’
‘No, I thought I would eat a sandwich at my desk and finish up some work.’
‘Maybe we could go over the design during lunch. If that is alright with you.’
‘That’s fine of course, but you know I didn’t do all of it solo. Carly had a hand in a lot of it.’
‘I know, but she has already left. We weren’t planning on the working lunch, but since it is so late and everyone is hungry. I thought it might be a good idea.’
‘Alright, let me get my things and I’ll be ready.’ She heard herself, but she didn’t think she would ever be ready. She took care with her appearance, but this morning she was running behind. After she combed her long dark hair and applied a soft neutral lipstick she ran out of the house. She didn’t exactly look her best today. She sighed quietly and picked up her purse. Her thoughts kept turning in a direction that could not be followed.
‘I will be over at Bryan’s office checking some of my e-mails. He’ll be going as well’

A few minutes later she left the bathroom feeling refreshed. She had combed her hair and applied fresh makeup. The suit she chose this morning was black and just a tad too snug, but very tasteful and complimentary to her athletic shape.

She went to Bryan’s office and found both men in the office going over the designs. Eric looked up at her and his gaze nearly impaled her with its intensity . . . and heat.
Her imagination was running wild. After her last disastrous breakup she put herself on a shelf for over a year.
She now needed to calm those raging hormones.
‘Let’s go then. Bryan are you driving?’


Finally, the day was over and she was lying on her couch. As she thought back, she couldn’t help but feel a certain sense of exuberance. Guiltily she had to admit to herself that a lot of it had to deal with Eric Wright. Before they started working they had ‘polite’ conversation references about the weather and the differences between Chicago, where they are now, and Tampa, where Eric resided. Eventually they all became more relaxed with one another. She had known Bryan for years and was comfortable with his outspoken and demanding personality. Eric was easygoing and charming. The phone personality didn’t seem to fit with the sensitive yet assured man she had had lunch with.

They brushed up against one another at one point during the meal and it was electric. Does he feel the same or are her feelings just a byproduct of being lonely for so long? She thought though that he was feeling something as well. When Bryan wasn’t looking their gazes would meet and greedily consume one another. After the food had been served, they dived into work. She had known before that he was a very highly intelligent focused individual, but being a party to his thought process brought it all into perspective. He had a mental edge that spoke volumes about his commitment and sincerity regarding the quality of the products they produce. He challenged her normal thought process and encouraged her to think outside the box.
As she was daydreaming, the phone rang and jarred her out of her reverie.
‘Hello’
‘Mia, this is Eric.’
Shocked, Amazed, Thankful that she had made it to Church this weekend. Obviously prayers do get answered.
She gripped the phone and answered. ‘Hi Eric is there anything wrong?’
‘No, I was just looking through some of your work and thinking what a truly great job you did. I’d like to take you to dinner to show my appreciation.’
‘You know that is unnecessary. I am just doing my job.’ Did she just say that? Please don’t let that be the end of this conversation.
‘Okay, you got me I called because I would like to take you to dinner. Before you answer I want to let you know that I have never done this – meaning I have never dated within the company – but I was sitting here debating it and realized I would regret it later if I let you slip away.’ He let out a deep sigh and continued. ‘I thought we felt something special today. What do you say Mia? Will you go to dinner with me tonight?’
‘Yes’ No hesitation or second thoughts.
‘Should I pick you up’ She heard herself say.
‘No, I’ve got a company car. Where do you live I’ll swing by and pick you up.’
She gave him directions hung up the phone and quickly picked out her sexy black dress. It usually made men look twice and she undoubtedly wanted him to do the same. Twenty minutes later she was ready. When he arrived at her doorstep, he carried a large bouquet of roses.
‘These are absolutely beautiful. Thank You!’
‘Not half as beautiful as yourself.’
Quickly she pinched herself to make sure that she wasn’t imagining this whole encounter. She moved into the kitchen and placed the flowers in water. His eyes bored right through as she moved around her small one bedroom apartment.
‘I’m ready now. Where should we go?’
‘How about that quiet Italian restaurant on Hyde Street?’
She had never been there before, but had heard rave reviews about it.
‘That’s perfect’
He was the ideal gentleman. Opening the car door and settling her in before he went to his own side and started the LandRover.

Everything was perfect that night food, atmosphere, and of course company. She learned how he started the business from scratch out of his own garage. Working day and night with a couple of his friends. They had expanded out and each of his friends had opened new headquarters in different parts of the company. He rarely had time for anything but work. However, he was a fanatic about sports, which she loved. They both played on a co-ed Softball team that was sponsored by the company. She even discussed her love of reading and writing.
They talked until the restaurant finally closed its doors at 11pm.
When they walked out to the car he looked at her wistfully and said. ‘I don’t think I’m ready to have this night end. How about you?’
‘Me neither where would you like to go?
‘Let’s go get a drink over at the coffee shop around the corner? I’m sure that I saw a sign that said it was still open.’
‘Okay’
The night continued on just like that absolutely perfect. At one point as they sat side by side at the Coffee shop his arm draped across her shoulders, they were laughing at something and feeling a pull to one another that was almost tangible. He suddenly stopped reached up and gently raised her chin and kissed her so tenderly that she nearly exploded from her need for him. The sensations she was feeling couldn’t be bottled into one word or one sentence. They left her speechless and humbled at the same time. Alive like she had never felt before.

At 1am in the morning, he walked her to her doorstep. She knew she was already well on her way to falling in love. It couldn’t last. He lived in an entirely different state hundreds of miles away not to mention that he was her boss. She couldn’t stop herself though from laughing or looking into those stormy eyes and melting like butter. Maybe she would rather hurt than not ever experience this feeling.

At the door they experienced another soul wrenching kiss this one more urgent, aggressive and explosive. Their lips parted and as much as she wanted to invite him inside, she said goodnight.
The next day they were back in the office and they were both tired. It was an unspoken agreement that they would not speak of their relationship.
She was completing some revisions at her desk when he sauntered over to her early the next morning.
‘Good Morning, Mia did you have a good night?’
‘Yes, Thank You’
He reached over her pretending he was throwing something in the trash and whispered to her in a sultry deep voice.
‘There is not a minute that passes by that I haven’t spent thinking about you. I just wanted to let you know that.’
Her whole body trembled with longing as she felt his breath gently stroke her neck when he spoke to her.
He straightened and said ‘Good to hear’ and moved on.

The next two days they spent working around the clock making sure there weren’t any holes within the basic design and initial coding of the software program. They saw each other every night sharing something special each night they were together. He was due to leave the morning of the third day. A pressing issue had developed in Tampa that needed his immediate attention.
She said goodbye to him from the phone promising that they would see each other soon. It was like being torn in half. How could this happen so quickly and completely?

She sat at her desk looked up at the clock on her computer and realized that he was due to take off in a matter of minutes. She couldn’t do this. It was like having your heart ripped out – torture self-inflicted.
She grabbed her purse and headed to the airport. She had to tell him how she really felt.
She got there while they were boarding. Slightly breathless from running to catch him she almost collided into him.
He turned around and realized whom it was.
‘Mia, what are you doing here?’
‘I just wanted you to know I don’t know how or why it happened. I don’t know if this can work, but I want you to know that I love you. I feel like I have been searching for you all my life. I just didn’t want you to get on that plane without me telling you my true feelings.’
She gave him a quick kiss and was about to walk away. Even though it was the hardest thing she had ever had to do when he grabbed her arm.
‘Where are you going?’ He asked in a calm neutral tone.
He reached down and melded his lips with hers and there was nothing quick about it. It was like a volcano erupted inside her and the intensity and heat scorched throughout her.
As their lips separated he continued to lay kisses against her neck and face and whisper beautiful words of praise and love.
Finally he met her eye to eye with determination and confidence.
‘I Love You’ he replied clearly and unequivocally.
‘I don’t want to spend another day or night without you. You’ve touched me in ways no one has and it would tear my heart out to see you walk away from me. Will you marry me?’
‘Yes’ No questions or hesitation just Yes.





















      

 

 

Copyright © 2003 Amelia R James
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"