The Galactic Empire Chronicles (1)
Nathaniel A Miller

 


The Galactic Empire Chronicles
By: Nathaniel Miller
Departure to Destiny.
Copyright © 2002


The infinity that is space, a world filled with serene light, uncountable stars in the deep darkness, and with dying and forming stars abounds with many life forms. Yes, space is alive. The entire universe, our galaxy, and even the many solar systems are filled with many such life forms. They are filled with many that love, aspire and fight in war, and there are others that are peace loving. The speck that makes up our Earth is one such place, a place where wars have come and gone, leaving their mark. A solar system named “Sol” resides in a mere corner of this huge galaxy known as the Milky Way and in one of seventy such systems located here. In this solar system, located in this part of the large galaxy, that nine planets orbit the single life-giving star. On the third planet of the system, an insignificant body really, called Earth, lives an advanced civilization known as human kind.


It is outside the Sol system, however, that a large fleet hovers here, moving at slow speed in formation, toward the Sol Solar system. Attached to a large bulky craft, a class of tender ship, that a smaller craft called the Magellanic Clouds, a Star Cruiser class starship hangs from the bottom of it by a docking clamp. It is the very ship that had been hell and back, managing to survive a Cybertron ambush and luckily managed to escape with only moderate damage and casualties. Now it hangs from the tender, taking on provisions and an army of repair teams fix the ship before it returns to Earth per its orders.


On board the Clouds, Captain T’Larra again sits in her usual place, the command chair, gazing at her shipmates as they make final preparations to get underway and detach from the tender ship. Slowly, she spun her chair left then to right, glancing at each station, the crew working with tender personnel, repairing the systems on the bridge.


“Status report?”


“All systems functional, crew is making final preparations to get underway for Earth.” Felonious replied, turning his head toward the command chair. Ihsss glanced at his First Officer/Science Officer, and she nodded slightly to him.


“Helm?” Ihsss questioned.


“Helm ready.” Veloxa said aloud, but under his breath sotto voice, “Helmsman, ready than he’ll ever be.” Beside him, Thyrac, his mate chuckled.


“Navigation ready, for all modes of flight, course plotted for Earth.” Thyrac reported.


“Weapons Defense console repaired, shields recharged, all weapons functional.” A voice spoke up, and Ihsss glanced at the young humanoid named Kwai Mao who manned the station. She managed a grin and a nod.


“Well done to all hands.” She told them, “for tending to and all hands taking part in our swift repair.” The reptilian captain hit the button on her chair.


“Engineering?”


“Engineering, Aye Ma’am.” The accented voice of the Engineer replied.


“Status report.” Ihsss asked, “How long until we can get under way?”


“Pylon repaired, we are capable for all modes and warp capacities.” Voloxa reported, “Engineering standing by. We can leave anytime.”


“Very well.”


“You have all done an excellent job for such a short flight,” Ihsss announced, “Hopefully our next adventure together will be a little more routine.” Here she paused.


“Stations,” She ordered, hitting the intercom switch, “All hands prepare for departure.”


The crews that were on board to repair the small ship hurried to the lift and soon it was only the Magellanic Clouds crew who now occupied the bridge. A few minutes later Hi’Mthss turned from the Communications console.


“Gantry personnel reports all repair crews have departed. They are retracting the gantry, Captain.” Ihsss glanced at Hi’Mthsss, her daughter, who occupied the communications station,


Outside the large ship, a metal gantry that connected the two ships was slowly moved back and folded neatly under the huge super structure of the Tender Frigate in which they were attached to for repair.


“Tender signals clear.”


“Engineering, detach docking clamp.” Ihsss ordered, “Helm, give us some thrust downward, z-minus five thousand and hold at station keeping.”


Outside the ship, a docking clamp released the ship, and slowly the cruiser slowly sank from the slot before a jet of blue flame pushed it downward even further. As the ship slowly moved away from the bottom of the tender, it rotated away from the larger ship, dwarfed by the size of it. On the bridge of the Cruiser, Veloxa’s experienced claw like appendages kept the ship at steady stop.


“We are free and clear to navigate.” He reported, making Ihsss turn her chair toward the helm station.


“Engage course to Earth, Warp factor twenty-five.” She ordered, nodding her head at the Insectoid helmsman.


“Aye, Captain.” Veloxa replied, as a claw-like appendage hit the buttons on the console.


The ship’s engines hummed into life as the helmsman hit the control and the ship jumped into warp space. On the screen, the stars hurtled toward them as the ship made its way on its new course to Earth. Hi’Mthsss was relieved that the first part of the mission was over, and thankfully Sibrina had brought most of the crew through this ordeal out in deep space. What troubled her was now the Cybertron, an evil cybernetic race who conquered the universe. They would reach Earth and she wondered what would be the reaction of the Earth Federation.


“War no doubt.” She thought and grimaced as her mood seemed to change. The ship plummeted through space as it jumped through many galaxies, and across space. As the ship continue on course, the stars hurled toward them on the view screen and Ihsss turned her chair to face the blank wall, peering at the modules of blinking lights there.


“Captain, the automatic deflectors snapped on.” Veloxa warned, as a warning light began to flash on the console he and Thyrac sat at. Felonious was on his feet in a heartbeat, his furry face in science station viewer.


“Captain, we have company.” Felonious warned, clicking a couple of switches on the console, “It is a Cybertron warship.”


“What is the configuration?” Ihsss asked, and the science station and sensors module hummed loudly.


“Scout ship, Cybertron Interceptor.” He replied, “They are turning toward us, they are arming weapons!”


“Battle stations, all decks.” Ihsss ordered, and a klaxon sounded on the ship, as the lights turned red, “Helm, slow the ship to warp ten! Kwai, stand by torpedoes.”


“Torpedoes ready Captain.”


A phaser hit the shields making the ship lurch. Ihsss was instant to react. Outside a beam of energy was fired again by the Cybertron.


“We’re hit again.”


“Return fire.” Ihsss replied, “Make sure we don’t miss.”


Torpedoes streaked like fireballs from the launchers and across the void of space as they struck the Cybertron ship. The Cybertron ship lurched, as there was a flash of light and the ship disappeared.


“Is there any damage to the ship, Kwai?” The Captain asked, and the young Humanoid turned from her console to shake her head.


“Maintain course and speed, take us home.”


A few hours later, Ihsss T’Larra sat in her quarters doing her log entry, and as she dictated it, the hum of the ship could be felt in the bulkhead and in the chair where she remained seated. She managed a grin at the feeling. Down in engineering, Voloxa paced the chamber quietly, scanning the engineering deck with his compound eyes, a look of concern on his bug-like features.


“Captain’s Log, Star date 4423.6


Encountered enemy ship at sector three eighty four, by four, eighty, one. Ship was a Cybertron Interceptor class starship which was destroyed outside the skirt of the colonies of Andromeda. Ship was destroyed, and headquarters advised of encounter. I have a feeling this encounter won’t be the last but, it looks like this war is going to be a long one with many losses on both sides. It is going to be and take a lot of fire power to push the Cybertron back to…”


 She never got the last word, as the whistle on the intercom sounded, making her turn. Ihsss casually hit the console and the intercom switch.


“Bridge to Captain,” The voice said, and the reptilian Captain recognized it as Felonious who sat at his console on the bridge. She reached over to click the switch on her console.


“Captain, here.”


“We are entering Sol.” The feline science officer’s accented voice said, “Sector 100, I thought you would want to know.”


“I am on my way, Felonious.” Ihsss replied as she rose from the station in her quarters after closing the channel. She practically ran to a turbo-lift and into one, hurrying to the bridge and a few minutes later, Ihsss hurried onto the bridge from the turbo-lift, toward the empty command chair where she sat down with a groan.


“Status report?” Ihsss asked, and she glanced at Felonious who sat at his console, his head in the sensor module viewer. The scanners hummed as they were used.


“On Course, Captain.” Veloxa said, half turning, seated at the helm console, “Maintaining warp 10.”


“Slow to warp one, for Sol only.” Ihsss ordered, and they could hear a hum and a low vibrating sound as the ship slowed down.


“Warp one, Captain.” Veloxa said, as Ihsss felt the inertia dampeners hum into life, as the ship slowed down even further.


“Very well,” Ihsss said with a nod, “Turn to course two, two, five… uhm… mark four, maintain course to Earth.”


Outside the ship, in the stars of space, the Star Cruiser banked, turning on its new course.


“ETA to Earth?” Ihsss asked, glancing at the helm.


“Approximately an hour and thirty-two minutes, present speed.” Veloxa replied, touching the console rapidly, “All engines and systems are functional.”


Ihsss watched the screen intensely as they approached the outer planet, named Pluto, which quickly moved passed them, Neptune, Uranus to follow as their continued their way to Earth.


Here she turned to Felonious Purrtz, the feline science officer.


“Give me a pre-approach scan, please.”


Felonious complied quickly, his hands dancing across the console in front of him.


“I was already scanning, Captain. There is nothing in range.” He replied, “Just the usual traffic for Sol, mostly mining and cargo vessels from Titan at Saturn.”


“Sorry, just a little jittery.” Ihsss murmured and the science officer understood, nodding a couple of times.


“Give those freighters a wide berth helm.” She ordered and the ship banked slightly, steering clear of the path they were taking toward two large freighters moving slowly through space. The captain felt something was wrong, and here she shook her head. She felt something was about to happen in which she could not control, jittery from the attack they had sustained in deep space, and feeling they were not alone, not even in their home solar system away from the Cybertron.


“There is something a miss.” She thought, and sitting in her chair, she placed her large reptilian head on her hand, deep in thought, as the ship continued on its course. Ihsss was unsure what she felt, and a lot of questions were on her mind, even way back when they were repairing the ship at the Tender. She was wondering if this was a full blown war that was coming to Earth, and how the EDC would take this attack. So far they had not responded to their inquiries about the attack and request for more information about why they had been dispatched home so quickly. Ihsss was concerned and she had every right to be. It would affect her crew in a war they probably didn’t want.


Meanwhile at Headquarters, San Francisco, Seth Aguilera stood on the transporter pad on Earth and as he shimmered out of existence, he appeared a moment later on the transporter pad of the Orbital Space Dock that orbits Earth. Standing on the platform his eyes slowly moved to examine the large chamber that made up the transporter room. Here he snapped to attention, saluting the Earth Federation flag that sat in the corner, firmly attached to a pole and placed into a metal stand. He then turned, saluting and held it until a harried young ensign, who had walked up to meet him. Seth remembered his training well, reciting the military general orders in his head, and keeping himself professional. The young officer returned the salute.


“Captain Aguilera, here for Zero G training with Alpha team.” He said smartly.


“Yes sir, welcome, sir. Your team is assembled on deck four, briefing room three.” The young officer replied. The Captain smiled at the thought, as he stepped off the platform to the console where he placed his hand on the scanner there, reaffirming his identification in the EDC.


He grimaced at the thought, it had not been long since he had been reactivated into the new military, and no doubt it was still hard to get used to things. Seth paused a moment, pulling the bottom of his uniform tunic, and it straightened rigidly. It was a familiar motion, one he had learned from a certain TV show of the past called Star Trek, the Next Generation and from a fictional character from that show named Jean Luc Picard. He glanced sheepishly at the chamber, amazed how trek-ish this century, amazed that technology had come this far, so fast. He suddenly became aware that his presence seemed to complicate the life of the young Ensign who had greeted him. He turned his head, acknowledging the officer.


“Do you need someone to escort you, sir?” He asked, and Seth frowned shaking his head.


 “Negative, carry on.” Seth replied firmly toward the nearby door. He paused as it opened before him and he walked down the corridor to the nearest lift that would take him to the fourth level of this station. He was grumbling, even though he was not from this century, he had been cleared and sufficiently trained to catch up in this new world in which he found himself a part of. Yet he felt out of place all of a sudden. As he walked along the corridor, his eyes met the many officers and enlisted alike who like him carried out their daily duties. He returned their salutes, ignoring the murmuring of corridor as he passed them. No doubt there were eddies of rumors floating about this station, and no doubt his presence would make many more. He was well known as the seven that had survived incredible odds, their story already well known within the Federation.


He rounded the corner, walking passed one of the many windows that overlooked the interior of the docking bay, at the massive ships that line the docking port of all sizes and shapes. Here he paused, and took in the strangely ‘Trek-ish’ sight before him. He let out startled gasp. It is an open chamber that made up most of the space dock and in it many sized craft are docked in the massive interior of the bay. Seth stared at the Dreadnoughts, Destroyers, Frigates and other ships that were docked here. He managed a smile.


“Wow, now we’re talking.” He muttered, and moving on he walked a few more steps down the corridor and turning he came to the hatch for the briefing room. As he stepped through it, he noted the room is medium sized, and it is near a bay window overlooking the Space Dock’s Bay that his team stood around waiting for him to arrive. He stared silently at his team, four guys and surprisingly three women of mixed races commonly found in the Federation. The ones who were seated came to attention fast when they saw Seth enter the room.


“Attention on deck!”


“As you were,” Seth managed to mumble, walking swiftly toward them.


“Well, well… if it isn’t CAPTAIN Aguilera… Ready for a ride, skipper?” A voice asked and he turned, to see Manual not far away. He looked different, despite the shaved marine hair cut and the gold bar on his collar. Seth was immediately glad to see him, having found himself a bit on edge having to work with strangers. He was glad to see his teammate from stasis who had been assigned with him to these raids that would no doubt take them many places in deep space.


He moved and shook the Lieutenant’s hand warmly, “Yea, it’s going to be quite a ride.” Seth managed to reply, “Congratulations on your bar Lieutenant Perry. Damn I’m glad at least I have someone I know for this mission.” The Lieutenant managed a nod and laughed.


“Thanks! I’m glad to see you too, Captain.” Manual replied, motioning to the others, “This is our team we’ll be leading.”


Seth met the many young faces, and a few veterans of other campaigns who stood at –ease in the briefing room.


“Is this everyone in the crew assigned to the mission? I only count eight of us for the whole team?” Seth asked, and he raised his eyebrows in surprise, “I was expecting a hell of a lot more for this mission.”


“Yea, it’s everyone, sir. I know, sir, it’s not like the old days.” Manual replied as he handed Seth a sheet of paper, “These are the ones who…” Here he cleared his throat, “…volunteered, Skip.”


The young Captain scanned the sheet quickly, sighing and muttering ‘Great.’ under his breath.


Lance Corporeal Randolph Wilson – Gunner
Private Thomas Jones – Heavy Machine Gunner.
Corporal Arial Flatt – Corpsman/Medic
          Gunnery Sergeant Steven Sanders – Technician
Corporal Janine Rand – Heavy Machine Gunner
           Staff Sergeant -- April Murray – Grenadier


Seth grimaced and handed it back to him.


“I am Captain Aguilera. I am your Commanding officer for this mission.” Seth said formally, “Our objective is to attack the Cybertron wherever they are, and retake the planets they have conquered. I expect nothing less than excellence, to be incorporated as a part of this team and a level or professionalism and teamwork among this team with no friction. End of story.”


Seth glanced at the team who were frowning, and others stood silently with their arms crossed.


“We have a lot of planets and targets that we will be hitting in the next month, according to command, and our orders are to ship out on our first mission, at sixteen hundred hours, West Coast, US Earth time in three days from now.”


The others glanced at each other in silence.


“Alright, what’s the gig, sir?” Corporal Wilson asked, with sudden interest.


“Our first hit will be planet one, in the Denali Cluster, sector three, five by two five.” He said, stepping back and pointing to the screen. “It is a high production planet of Rilian. The Cybertron are using the planet and its population of humanoids as slaves to mine the mineral for their shield generators.”


“It has one planet similar to Earth, a Class M with a Nitrogen-Oxygen atmosphere, and it is the humanoid Denajians, who occupy the planet. They are a peaceful culture with a fairly high technology, and crude interplanetary travel. It is one of the many worlds in this cluster that the Cybertron cowardly conquered because they gave no resistance,” Seth explained, “We are facing three garrisons, as it is a key planet for the Empire in this sector. But command seems to think if we hit it now, instead of later it will break their foothold on the system and the planet.”


There was a gasp and murmur among the gathered crew who were seated at the briefing table, and others behind against the wall. Gunnery Sergeant Sanders raised his hand. A low murmur from his team echoed the briefing room. Seth tapped his knuckle on the table-top for attention and the room quickly fell silent.
 

“Yes, Gunny?” Manual replied, and the young sergeant stood.

 

 

Go to part:2 

 

 

Copyright © 2002 Nathaniel A Miller
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"