My First And Only Love
Theresa A Myers

 

Here I sit, telling the story of my lost love as I wait for the sun to rise for I may end this horrible eternity of loneliness. I have walked the Earth for 300 lonely centuries that is till I met her. One late August evening I was out hunting for a worthy prey, that I saw her she was walking slowing up the sidewalk almost in slow motion. The most beautiful creature I had ever seen. She had long brown flowing hair, hazel colored eyes and full lips which when those lips formed a smile it was the most amazing thing I have ever witnessed. She walked by me and let and amazing smile that took my breath away, well not literally because I�m not alive, but you know what I mean. I followed her making sure to stay a far distance away from her. She pulled open the door of a coffee house and walked in, I followed and she sat at a booth to the right of the establishment. I took a seat a few booths away, so could admire her beauty from afar. She caught me staring at her and I turned my head quickly. I knew I was caught, but she didn�t seem to mine me staring. I looked again and she was looking at me now, giving me that million-dollar smile. I was practically drooling; I could picture myself with a goofy grin, looking like a total idiot. I should be picturing her as my next meal, but it wasn�t like that. I pictured spending an eternity with her. As I was looking she motioned for me to come to her and I looked behind me to make sure this gesture was meant for me. To my surprise there was no one behind me so I got up and started to walk to her table.

�I couldn�t help, but notice you looking at me.� she said �Why don�t you have a seat and we can get to know each other?� �It is no fun dining alone.�

�Why thank you� I said and seated myself

�My name is Jade.� �What�s yours?� she said

�T�Thomas� I managed to say

�Nice to meet you Thomas� she said and extended her arm for a friendly handshake.

�Nice to meet you too.� I said and took her hand.

Her skin was so soft and her hand was so tiny, I didn�t want to let go of it. The handshake lasted longer than it should have and I was holding her hand. I pulled away and I felt myself blushing. I was making a fool of myself. We started to talk about where we were from and our interests. Just things that came to mind, we really connected; it was like nothing I had felt before. We talked for the longest time what must have been hours until we were almost forced to leave by the owner of the shop.

I walked her home, which was far away from where my humble abode was and she told me she would like to see me again and if I wanted to spend time with her all I had to do was call. She gave me her number and gave me a kiss on the cheek, I felt myself blush again and she giggled, opened the door said she had a great time and she hoped to see me soon then shut the door. This must be what love feels like, I practicality skipped home. My home was an old abandoned apartment where the local bums and the homeless liked to dwell also; they were a quick easy meal, if one was needed. I went into my little apartment shut the door shut myself in my old trunk I called my coffin. Since it was almost dawn I needed to get some sleep.

The following night I awoke refreshed and ready to go out for my nightly hunt. I didn�t kill humans, because if dead bodies started showing up all around the city with bite marks on there necks it might cause a problem. I preyed on the local sewer rats no one would miss them. I know what your thinking �ewww rats� but it doesn�t taste really that different from human blood. I know it�s not the greatest and I have to hunt 6-7 rats to get a acceptable meal. Sometimes I do get cravings for human blood, but I refrain from killing and when you are hungry rat blood is better than no blood. I decided that I would take a visit over to my lovely girl Jade�s house and see what she was up to. I cleaned myself up a bit and proceeded to walk down the block to her house. I knocked on the door and she answered and asked if I would like to come in. As you may know, a vampire cannot enter someone�s home unless they are invited, so now I had my welcome and I wasn�t just gonna stand there. She asked me if I wanted something to drink and I said no thank you and she told me to sit down in her living room and make myself comfortable. Her house was very nice looking, the living room was a pale blue color with a flower border at the top of the wall al the way around the room. In the room there was various objects and pictures. She came back with a drink for herself, she took a seat next to me and we talked for a while again. I loved having conversations with her. Just the sound of her voice was interesting and soothing to me. All of a sudden there was just silence and we were left staring into each other�s eyes. I moved in for kiss and she didn�t object, she pulled away. �Your lips are ice cold!� she exclaimed I felt embarrassed; I didn�t want this to turn out this way. I wished I were human still, this would be, so much easier. She said she was sorry and place her hand my cheek and turned my head to face her. She moved in for the kiss this time with no complaints. I sure wasn�t complaining, I had been thinking about her ever since, I first laid eyes on her and all I wanted was to be with her. I wanted this moment to last forever, she pulled back and smiled at me, she told me she had never felt, such strong feelings for someone so soon. She said she has never felt this strong for someone in her life. It would be morning in a few hours and I told her I must leave and that I had a great time with her. We kissed again as we stood by the door. I went on her doorstep and stood there till she had completely shut the door, then started to slowly walk away. I went by to my apartment complex and then into my apartment into my trunk for a nice days sleep.

As night came I awoke and went on my nightly hunt once again, but all I could do is think about Jade. Should I tell her what I am? I mean yeah, she�s gonna find out sooner or later. It�s not something I can easily avoid. Maybe I should say, �Oh yeah forgot to tell you something I am a vampire.� I�m gonna have to tell her and probably the sooner the better. Then if she doesn�t except this, which I don�t even wanna think about, it won�t hurt me or her as much. I decided I would tell her tonight; I went over to her house and knocked on the door. She answered and told me to come in, I sat her down and told her I had to tell her something important.

�Umm Jade� I said �I don�t know how to tell you this, so I�m just gonna say it.� �I�m a vampire Jade, a real live vampire.�

�Your kidding right?� she said

�Afraid not� I said

�Stop screwing around.� she said

�I was I was� I said

�Prove it then.� She replied

�Ok� I said

Hmm, I thought what should I do? I think the fang show should be enough. I spun around and opened my mouth to reveal my two sharp pointy fangs. She screamed and jumped back startled.

�It�s true!� she said

�I told you� I replied

�This is too weird� she said

�So, your not that freaked out?� I said surprised

�I am, but I mean it�s not that big of a deal� she said

�Not that big of a deal!� I exclaimed �I figured you would scream and run or try and put a stake through my heart or something and all you say is it�s not that big of a deal.�

She wrapped her arms around me and kissed me passionately. I love this girl, even though she�s a little nutty I thought to myself. After that she just asked me questions about what it�s like and how I got changed, just things like that. I told her I had to go and she let me go. She said she loved me anyways and that even though she hasn�t known me very long. She thinks this means that we are meant to be together. I kissed her goodnight and walked to my home to my cozy little apartment, along with my crude trunk I call my coffin. �That went well� I mumbled and went to sleep.

I awoke skipped on going hunting and went straight to my beloved�s home, the door was open, which was strange. I pushed it open and all her belongings were scattered throughout her living room and through her whole house. I started to yell her name �Jade� �Jade, are you ok?� I heard a faint moan it was coming from her bedroom. She was lying on the floor in a puddle of her own blood all around her. She said her house had been broken into and she tried to call the police and they shot her. She was holding her stomach where the wound was. I moved her hand and the wound continued to bleed. Her breaths were shallow and if she didn�t get help she was going to die. I had an idea, I told her she could drink my blood and I could make her immortal like me.

�No� she managed to say, �I don�t wanna live forever, you told me how bad it was for you and I�m not sure I want to be like that.�

I thought about it and said, �Yes, it is better off this way, I don�t want you to have to �live� like this, I don�t want anyone to experience this kind of hell.

I picked her up and held her in my arms, I whispered in her ear that I loved her and kissed her sweetly. In her lasts breath she managed to gasp, �I love you� back. She was gone, my love, my only love. I need to be with her I thought, even if I can�t be with her, I can�t live, it is better to end this living hell, I have been forced to live night in and night out for centuries. I decided I would wait, I would see my first and last sunrise. Now you have heard my story, and if you will excuse me I see the sun is starting to rise.

      

 

 

Copyright © 2003 Theresa A Myers
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"