Infinity
David Wightman

 

 I am a graduate of chemistry. My girlfriend studied architecture and graphic design. My research was in psychedelics. Sandy always referred to her work as ’Chemical Architecture’. We wanted to find a way to combine both of our skills.
     The most obvious psychedelics are the lysergic acids. However, there are many more different chemical compounds that can be used for psychedelic effect. Sandy and I worked our way through most of them until we were bored. They were all very different chemicals but they all had similar effects. We wanted new experiences. We needed a breakthrough drug.
     We wanted a drug that you could switch on and off. We wanted a drug you only had to take once. We wanted a drug that needed just the right environment. So we created our own. The result was Infinity.
     Ecstasy relies very heavily on the environment around you. The music, the crowds, the lights, all add to your enjoyment of the drug. The same is true of LSD. Infinity relies entirely on where you take it, in fact it only works in one building.
     Sandy designed the building of course. She named it ‘The Dream Factory.’
     I am not going to describe the architecture to you. Partly because it is not my speciality and also because without the drug the architecture is unimportant. In the same way I am not going to bore you with the chemical equations behind the drug. Without the architecture the drug is irrelevant. Hopefully in describing our experiences with Infinity and The Dream Factory you will understand both.
     Infinity only needs to be taken once. Once it is in your system it stays there. But it lies dormant when you are not in The Dream Factory.
     Whilst you are in The Dream Factory Infinity works its magic.
     What are the effects of Infinity? It replays your life experiences. But not as they actually happened. You relive your experiences as they appear in your sub-conscious. How they would be replayed as dreams.
     It was a Thursday in June when I finally perfected the drug. Sandy finished the designs a couple of weeks later. But to actually build The Dream Factory we needed money. This came, a year later, in the form of an inheritance from Sandy’s uncle. There was enough there to erect the building and purchase the necessary furnishings, including all the computers we needed to produce the exact combinations of light and sound required to stimulate the drug. We were finished six months after starting.
     Infinity has to be taken in just the right quantity. Too little and it will not work. Too much and upon entering The Dream Factory the experience would be akin to your worst nightmares. The correct dose is ten milligrams. To begin with I only made two pills. I marked them with a sideways figure of eight to represent infinity. Sandy and I were ready for our first experience of the drug.
     We were hoping for an almost religious experience so we decided to take them on a Sunday. It was not a nice day but The Dream Factory makes its own weather. We had both spent a lot of time in the factory but with Infinity in our systems we were about to see it a whole lot differently.
     We sat in the reception area and I produced the two pills from a baggie. We swallowed them down with a glass of vintage champagne and waited. Infinity takes about an hour to get into your system. We spent the time drinking the rest of the champagne. By twelve o’clock we were ready to enter the main building. We knew that as soon as we did nothing would ever be the same again. We both had ideas as to what we were about to experience but our expectations in no way lived up to the actual experience.
     I let Sandy open the door. It was her building after all. We stepped into an expansive room. In the centre of the room there was a large pond. Frog spawn covered the surface.
     Suddenly Sandy disappeared and a chicken took her place. I laughed and walked over to the edge of the pond. The chicken came running at me and in an effort not to get pecked I fell in the water.
     I made no splash. I made no impact on the surface of the pond. I was a tiny little tadpole, swimming through the spawn.
     I went below the surface to explore. The water was murky and I could see very little. I could just make out the edges of the pond and I swam towards one of them. As I approached it I noticed an opening.
     As I got closer I realised that it was in the shape of a heart. I swam through it in anticipation. As I did so I entered a giant tube which ran for miles. I swam and swam and swam until I was tired. Finally I reached a room. Somehow the chicken had got there first.
     ‘Is that you Sandy?’ I asked.
     The chicken sat down and produced a clucking sound. After awhile it stood up again and flew out of a window. There was an egg left in its place.
     The egg was leaking a trail of yoke that was gradually approaching me. Eventually I found myself covered with the stuff and I was able to swim in it.
     I swam towards the egg. When I got there I found the hole that the stuff was leaking from. I swam into it.
     I suddenly felt safe and secure. I felt like I had come home for the first time in years. I felt warm. I felt comfortable. I felt loved.
     Suddenly I realised that I was no longer a tadpole. I was back to myself. But I was still as tiny as a tadpole. Lying beside me was a miniscule Sandy.
     ‘What’s going on?’ she asked.
     ‘Do you remember when you were a baby and everything seemed so big and important. And you felt so small and insignificant in comparison. That’s what we’re experiencing now.’
     ‘I think we’re both growing,’ said Sandy. ‘But I can’t be sure.’
     ‘If the whole universe was expanding we would have no way to perceive it. At the moment us two make up the whole universe.’
     ‘You’re not that deep in real life,’ laughed Sandy.
     ‘I’ve always been a philosopher deep down. But I only realise it in my dreams.’
     Sandy started doing pirouettes around and around inside the egg. ‘I’m always a ballerina in my dreams,’ she explained.
     ‘You’re growing wings,’ I noticed.
     ‘Oh my God! So are you,’ she screamed.
      Suddenly the egg cracked and we flew out in to a forest.
     We were back to our original size. Stuck to our backs were feathered wings which we were furiously flapping.
     ‘There’s a path down there. We ought to follow it and see where it leads,’ I thought to myself.
     ‘Good idea,’ Sandy’s voice entered my mind.
     Sandy and I have taken so many different drugs together that we have often spoken telepathically. It was not simply an effect of Infinity.
     We followed the path for an indeterminate amount of time. There seemed to be no sun or moon to judge time by. The forest seemed to be lit from inside.
     Eventually we reached a beach and decided to rest our tired wings.
     ‘Let’s take a swim.’
     As we got closer to the sea we realised that it wasn’t water. It seemed to be milk.
     There were giant forts displayed out to sea. They were round with gun mounts at the top.
     ‘They resemble nipples,’ laughed one of us.
     Suddenly a giant door appeared in the sand. A neon sign read EXIT.
     ‘It’s time to leave.’
     Sandy and I had agreed to spend no longer than twenty-four hours in The Dream Factory at any one time. We had worked this into the system by programming in time lapsed exits. Our time was up.
     Sandy led the way and we went through the exit and returned to the reception area, a little frail and bedazzled.
     ‘That was amazing,’ said Sandy.
     ‘I know. I can’t believe it was all just an hallucination. It all seemed so real.’
     ‘I know. I really felt like a chicken,’ laughed Sandy.
     ‘Time just flew by,’ I said. ‘I can’t believe we were in there for twenty-four hours.’
     ‘Neither can I. But I’m exhausted.. I really need some sleep.’
     ‘Let’s crash then. We can go back in when we wake up.’
     ‘Goodnight then.’
     ‘Night.’
     We slept for about twelve hours and woke up refreshed and ready for our next adventure.
     ‘I wonder if we’ll return to the same place,’ said Sandy.
     ‘There’s no guarantees,’ I replied. ‘Anything could happen. Are you ready?’
     ‘Yeah. I’m ready. Shall we go?
     ‘Alright then. Lead the way.’
     Sandy opened the door and we stepped into a large room.
     On each of the four walls was a giant television screen showing a different children’s programme from our youth.
     I noticed a remote control unit on the floor and went to pick it up. There was a post-it note attached to the back and I read it out to Sandy.


‘TO CHOOSE YOUR FAVOURITE PROGRAMME PRESS THE RELEVANT BUTTON:
1) The Flumps
2) Camberwick Green
3) Mr Ben
4) Jamie and the Magic Torch’
   
      I wanted Jamie but Sandy persuaded me to go for Mr Ben. I pressed the number three and we immediately changed location to a clothes shop.
      As if by magic, the shopkeeper appeared.
     ‘Do you want to try on a costume?’ he asked.
     ‘Yes,’ replied Sandy. ‘I’d like to try your costume on.’
     ‘That can be arranged.’ he said, undressing.
     He was soon down to his underwear and his clothes in Sandy’s possession.
     ‘The changing room is through there,’ he directed.
     ‘Thank you very much,’ she smiled. ‘I’ll be back in a minute.’
     I waited patiently, trying to ignore the shopkeeper’s nakedness.
     Eventually he vanished and, as if by magic, Sandy appeared in his place. She was wearing his clothes.
     ‘I thought that would happen,’ she laughed.
     ‘You crazy girl! Where do we go from here?
      ‘I don’t know. Let’s leave the shop and see what happens.’
      We walked along a street of weird and wonderful but unfortunately closed shops. As we neared the end a small dog ran up to us.
     ‘Hello boy,’ I said, stroking him.
     ‘He’s got a name badge on. Take a look at it.’
     ‘His name’s Timmy.’
     At the mention of his name Timmy barked and ran off towards a dark alley. He stopped half way and turned to look at us. Again he barked.
     ‘I think he wants us to follow him,’ said Sandy.
     ‘We’d better do so then.’
     We started after the dog and he led us down the alley. When we reached a door he scratched violently at it. A sign on the door read: TO OBTAIN THE CRYSTAL METH YOU MUST FIRST SOLVE THE PUZZLE. THERE IS AN AUTOMATIC LOCK-IN AFTER THREE MINUTES. GOOD LUCK!
      ‘Let’s go for it,‘ I said, opening the door. We stepped into a small grotty room All it contained was a table, a chair and a bed. On the bed was a man. He didn’t look too healthy. Closer inspection told us he was dead.
     On the table was a note and an empty jar of peanut butter. I picked up the note and read it to Sandy.
     ’How was this man murdered? You have three minutes to work it out.’
     ’Don’t we get a clue?’ Sandy asked.
     ’It doesn’t look like it. I suppose we’re going to have to examine the body.’
     ’Ugh. I don’t fancy doing that. You’ll have to do it.’
     I approached the body and searched him for evidence of wounds, cuts, grazes, anything. There was not a mark on him.
     I checked his mouth. There was peanut butter stuck to his teeth and all over the insides of his mouth. It looked disgusting so I closed it.
     Meanwhile Sandy had been looking under the bed. She’d found an empty glass, dry, and a peanut butter smeared spoon.
     ’He must have been eating out of the jar with the spoon,’ I said.
     ’That’s disgusting,’ replied Sandy. ’I need a glass of water.’
     She went to the sink and turned on the taps. Nothing happened.
     ’The taps don’t work,’ she said.
     ’Eureka!’ I cried. ’I know what happened.’
     ’Really? How could you?’
     ’I’m a lot smarter in my dreams,’ I said.
     ’How was he killed then?’
     ’The murderer knew his fetish for peanut butter. Have you ever eaten a lot of peanut butter?’
     ’ Yeah.’
     ’And what happened to your throat?’
     ’It got really dry. I felt like I was choking so I needed a glass of water.’
     ’Exactly. But this man couldn’t have a drink because the killer cut off his water supply. He choked on the peanut butter because he couldn’t have a drink.’
      Something fell out of the cold tap but we didn’t get a chance to check it out because our exit appeared and we had to get back to reception.
     ’That was different,’ said Sandy. ’I can’t wait to go back in. I’ve still got plenty of energy left. Let’s do it now.’
     ’I’m up for it,’ I said. When it came to drugs, Sandy and I never knew when to stop.
     We kissed, held hands and walked back into the main building.
     We were in a large attic room. Along one wall there were four vending machine. They had no markings on them.
     ’I wonder what they dispense,’ said Sandy.
     ’Have you got any money?’ I asked.
     ’I don’t think so. I didn’t really think I’d need any in here. I’ll check.’
     She put her hand in her pocket and pulled out a pile of small gold tokens.
     ’I don’t know where they came from. Try one. See if it works.’
     I took one from her and slotted it into the first machine. The buttons began to flash.
     I pressed the top one and the machine whirred. A packet of condoms fell to the floor.
     ’It’s just a condom machine,’ I said, disappointed.
     The buttons were still flashing.
     ’Press another one,’ said Sandy.
     I pressed the next one down. A porn mag fell to the floor. Sandy picked it up and tossed it away in disgust.
     I pressed another button. A vibrator fell to the floor.
     I pressed another. A two sided dildo fell to the floor.
     I pressed another. A pair of handcuffs fell to the floor.
     I soon got bored.
     ’Shall we try another machine?’ I suggested.
     ’Okay,’ agreed Sandy.
      I inserted a token into the next one along and again pressed the top button first. A cigarette fell to the floor. Wrapped around the cigarette was a piece of paper. I picked it up and read the note to Sandy.
     ’This is the cigarette that will give you cancer!’
     ’Charming.’
      I pressed the next button. Another cigarette fell to the floor. Again there was a piece of paper with it. I picked it up and read it aloud.
     ’This is the cigarette that will give you heart disease!’
     ’Let’s go to the next machine. This one’s creepy.’
     I agreed.
     At the third machine I pressed a random button.
     An eighth of hashish fell to the floor.
     ’I like this machine,’ I said, pressing another button.
     A wrap fell to the floor. I picked it up and opened it. It was speed. I took a dab and pressed another button.
     A pill fell to the floor. It was a Dove.
     ’I could play with this machine all day,’ I said.
     ’Could you? Do we really need it now we’ve got Infinity?’
     ’I suppose not,’ I said. ’ Shall we try the last one?’
     ’Come on then.’
      From this one fell a gun.
     ’Don’t touch it,’ warned Sandy. ’And don’t press any more buttons.’
     ’I think that’s wise. How do you think we get out of here?’
     Suddenly, as if in reply, a fruit machine appeared in the centre of the room.
     ’That must be the way,’ said Sandy. ’Come on.’
     I slotted a token into the machine and the fruits spun. Eventually they began to slow down. One by one they stopped to reveal a line of Bars.
     We were now in an old fashioned style public house.
     ’Let’s get a drink,’ I said.
     We went up to the bar. The landlord was a towering figure of a man.
     ’A pint of Guinness and a vodka and ice please?’
     ’Very well sir,’ said the landlord, starting to prepare our drinks.
     When they were ready I asked him how much we owed him. I prayed that the gold tokens would work here.
     ’They’re on the house,’ he said. ’We don’t see many of your kind here.’
     ’And what kind is that?’
     ’Well if you don’t know what you are then I’m sure it’s not my place to tell you.’
     I stared at him.
     ’Leave it,’ said Sandy. ’Let’s go and sit down.’
     We took a table by the window and sipped our drinks.
     I studied the other patrons carefully.
     ’What was that man talking about? They all look like our kind to me. I’m going to go and talk to one of them.’
     There was a guy sat on his own. He looked amiable so I approached him.
     ’Hi. I’m Jack. Pleased to meet you.’
     ’The feeling’s not mutual.’
     ’Hey, what’s everyone’s problem here?’ I exclaimed. ’The landlord was damn right rude to me and now you’re being funny.’
     ’The landlord is our keeper. You do not belong here.’
     Suddenly the guy burst into a ball of flames. Before I had time to react I heard Sandy scream and looked back to our table in panic. She was also on fire.
     I ran to her.
     ’Someone help her. Help her. Please help her.’
     But there was no-one there. Where people had once been there were now just balls of flame.
      A trap door appeared on the floor. Our exit was here.
     ‘Come on Sandy. We’ve got to get out of here,’ I screamed.
     I got no response. Sandy was gone.
     I had no time to find her. I had to go through the exit. If it was not used it would disappear and never return. At least one of us had to escape or we would both be stuck in the factory forever. I opened the trapdoor and returned to reception alone..
     I recalled later that Sandy’s parents had once owned a pub. It had burnt down when Sandy was seven. No-one had been hurt but she had suffered nightmares for years after.
     I have returned to The Dream Factory many times to try and find her. Every time I return I am a little less sane.




      

 

 

Copyright © 2011 David Wightman
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"